Thai National Opening Us Bank Account

ChiangMaiThai

Is there any way that a Thai national with no ss # and no US passport or greencard can opena US bank account online? I imagien the answer is no, but I thought it wouldn't  hurt to ask...

In general, it should be no probelm at all. When you are in the US, just pick out a bank you like and go in. You certainly don't have to be a resident or a citizen of the US to open a bank account. While it is true that banks are supposed to require you to have a social security number to open an account, a great many will waive it for 'non resident aliens' if you just show your passpost for identification and ask them to.

If the bank you want to use won't waive it, it's still no problem. The social security administration issues social security numbers on request for non-residents who need them for ID. Some states, for example, use your social security number for their driver's licenses and it's very common for non-residents to request a number for ID. Do that, then take the number to the bank where you want to open an account and that will be that.

It's not at all like Thailand. No nonsense about work permits and that you can only have a certain kind of account since you're a foreigner. Just identify yourself to the bank's satisfaction and they will gladly open any kind of account for you that you want.

In general, it should be no probelm at all. When you are in the US, just pick out a bank you like and go in.

I think chiangmaithai was asking about opening an account online. It has been my experience that they will only open online accounts for US citizens or resident aliens.

You might well be right. American banks have had a lot of new know-your-client requirements imposed on them post 9/11 by the Patriot Act and are very sensitive to complying with them. If you're not standing in front of a bank officer for them to see your ID and look you over, I suspect they might very well impose some restrictions.

The interest will be taxable, though, and the account holder might eventually have problems if they don't file and pay.

Yes, but the interest would have to be a pretty huge amount as presumably the person would have no other source of income in the US.

Your best bet would be to check around on a few of the online banks. I am presuming they all pretty much have the same policies.

I doubt you will find an online bank that will allow it. What you can do is open an account with an online stock brokerage. Many of these companies will allow foreign customers, and some offer check writing and Visa debit cards.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunatley, the Thai in question does not yet have the opportunity to go to the US so it would have to be online. The reason I ask is because paypal now allows Thais to have an account, but they can only withdraw to a US Bank, no Thai banks. If that is the case, how is the average Thai who signs up for a paypal account supposed to get their money?

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunatley, the Thai in question does not yet have the opportunity to go to the US so it would have to be online. The reason I ask is because paypal now allows Thais to have an account, but they can only withdraw to a US Bank, no Thai banks. If that is the case, how is the average Thai who signs up for a paypal account supposed to get their money?

You can withdraw money to Hong Kong accounts, and Paypal have also recently added Korea and Taiwan as destinations where you can withdraw, i believe.