10,000 Police, Soldiers, Security Officials Deployed To Keep Security At Government House

george

Is there something else happening which everyone oversaw?

Not everyone, but you definitely have.

Would be nice if you could inform me about such things as you are so much smarter. I am always ready to learn from you.

While this, your posting, does not bring us forward.

Never mind that, why isn't he down there, recording this historic event, to make sure that it will be shown accurately in the history books? ;-)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...-a-privy-counci

Police investigating a plot to kill a privy councillor: suspected gunman in custody

Provincial Police Region 1 arrested a 35-year-old man in Samut Prakan on Saturday on suspicion of being a gunman carrying out a contract on the life of privy councillor Chanchai Likhitjittha, senior police officers said on Tuesday.

The investigation team led by Colonel Phetcharat Saengchai is trying to uncover the masterminds behind the contract, suspected to be a group of military officers who wanted to instigate trouble ahead of the April 8 rally by the red shirts.

The Nation

Newin on Channel 3 live right now

again?

looks live...says 17:38:39 on the TV screen

Good talk, too, for those of you who understand Thai

give us a short overview please :o

My Thai isn't as good as some of you guys' , but for example, he said...(that according to the REDS), Samak, was democratically elected, Somchai was democratically elected, but when Abhisit was elected, it was'n democratic???

Had a few really good lines in there. Better get somebody Thai to translate it, though, because, as I mentioned before, my Thai sucks.

Speaking of learning languages, time to teach my daughter some English, have fun guys :-)

Cheers

Newin on Channel 3 live right now

again?

looks live...says 17:38:39 on the TV screen

Good talk, too, for those of you who understand Thai

give us a short overview please :o

a. He believes Thaksin has the power to stop the protests.

b. Thaksin should stop criticizing the opinion of the King in appointing his Privy Council.

c. He believes that there is a chance bloodshed might occur

d. He doesn't believe that Thaksin wants to speak to him

e. He wants the UDD organisers to explain in what way the current govt is undemocratic

Those were the main points I gleaned from it.

Reason for edit - clearer meaning and removing something about the highest institution

Edited by Thai at Heart

I'll take a look at what happens over the next few days and then maybe I'll have a new line on this.... :o . I agree with what you say about the red shirts although dont think the yellows are anywhere near as angelic as some say. Anyway lets see what the next few days bring as it may all be very different after then. Things change over time.

However, violence is wrong. It doesnt really matter who commits it. It is still wrong.

Hammered

From my perspective you have got the balance just about right.As well as reliable press reports,a number of my Thai friends, professional middle class people, have confirmed there were many disgusting acts of brutality by the PAD mob.No doubt equally unpleasant incidents happened on the Red side, to my certain knowledge for example in Chiangmai.The zealots (everbody knows who they are) on both sides on this forum never concede that their particular street gang is other than misrepresented by the press.So I think you have it about right, and as you say let's see what happens in the next few days.

Police investigating a plot to kill a privy councillor: suspected gunman in custody

Provincial Police Region 1 arrested a 35-year-old man in Samut Prakan on Saturday on suspicion of being a gunman carrying out a contract on the life of privy councillor Chanchai Likhitjittha, senior police officers said on Tuesday.

The investigation team led by Colonel Phetcharat Saengchai is trying to uncover the masterminds behind the contract, suspected to be a group of military officers who wanted to instigate trouble ahead of the April 8 rally by the red shirts.

The Nation

This is a bad development as it shows a plan for violence. Quite who was behind it will be interesting to see, but right now what side or faction is impossible to tell assuming the report is accurate.

My husband was just saying yesterday watch out for the 3rd hand. This would appear to be an example.

The third hand in this case could be operating from either side, the fact it was caught really proves nothing only that one side is trying to instigate violence. However history teaches us the 3rd hand is normally from the army et al wanting an excuse to restore order and have a crackdown.

The Nation

This is a bad development as it shows a plan for violence. Quite who was behind it will be interesting to see, but right now what side or faction is impossible to tell assuming the report is accurate.

What will be interesting on who is behind? It is obvious who is behind that. Of course Thaksin the only question is, if it can be proofed.

My husband was just saying yesterday watch out for the 3rd hand. This would appear to be an example.

The third hand in this case could be operating from either side, the fact it was caught really proves nothing only that one side is trying to instigate violence. However history teaches us the 3rd hand is normally from the army et al wanting an excuse to restore order and have a crackdown.

The third hand, the invisible hand, the dirty hand......

lot of hands...

The Nation

What will be interesting on who is behind? It is obvious who is behind that. Of course Thakky, the only question is, if it can be proofed.

Not that obvious to me, perhaps you could clarify why. From previous posts the implication was that the reds were a bunch of violent thugs in which case why would Thaksin need to use military officers to instigate more violence which also implies actual support from some elements of the military.

Nothing is at all obvious just from uncovering one supposed plot. The situation is bound to be much more complex than that.

Especially as things heat up, that's when things become far less predictable.

The Nation

What will be interesting on who is behind? It is obvious who is behind that. Of course Thakky, the only question is, if it can be proofed.

Not that obvious to me, perhaps you could clarify why. From previous posts the implication was that the reds were a bunch of violent thugs in which case why would Thaksin need to use military officers to instigate more violence which also implies actual support from some elements of the military.

to spark chaos and make a coup, how else he thinks he can get into power again before sonkran?

Au contraire............many things got destroyed during those dark years of Thaksinocracy...........most important of which was the rule of law and a functioning justice system........which if it had worked, might have avoided the deaths of nearly 3,000 souls by extra-judicials methods, fully endorsed and encouraged by Mr T himself.

You really need to swot up on modern Thai history a bit before posting such tripe.

By the way, thought you didn't cover "Thai politics"? seems like an amazing turnaround for someone so aloof before. :o

The Newin press comments and his/our discussion about something 'being destroyed' was specifically about the monarchy (not about the drug slaughter - which obviously was destructive). I was saying that the monarchy wasn't destroyed in Thaksin's first spell as Prime Minister. And as h90 pointed out, there may have been some attempt at damage.

Please read our context before diving in with useless criticism. Its part of the Thai visa rules.

Nothing is at all obvious just from uncovering one supposed plot. The situation is bound to be much more complex than that.

Especially as things heat up, that's when things become far less predictable.

Couldn't agree more - there is clearly far more going on here and the black and white pictures (or maybe red and yellow is more appropriate) that some seem to want to paint appear to be very naive at times.

My Thai isn't as good as some of you guys' , but for example, he said...(that according to the REDS), Samak, was democratically elected, Somchai was democratically elected, but when Abhisit was elected, it was'n democratic???

Had a few really good lines in there. Better get somebody Thai to translate it, though, because, as I mentioned before, my Thai sucks.

Speaking of learning languages, time to teach my daughter some English, have fun guys :-)

Cheers

Yeah, he wanted to show how hypocritical they've been. That they say that Abhisit was elected undemocratically while they had two PM's elected under the same process.

What really struck me was what he said about his experiences in Thai politics as a whole. He said that in Thailand all it takes is a simple spat between members of the same party and they'll just split and form more factions but never make any progress. When he was with the TRT or whatever incarnation of it, Thaksin controlled all of the party members' decisions like a slave driver, depriving him of being able to make the choice that he saw as best and effectively making a sham out of the parliamentary system.

I don't remember much more from his press conference and his subsequent interview with Sorayuth...

EDIT:

He also mentioned the accusations of him plotting something with General Prem, saying that he was accused of meeting him at his house at 10PM on a certain night while he was in plain view of hundreds of journalists and politicians at some ceremony/function from 5:30PM until 11:00PM.

I guess he didn't really betray Thaksin but instead got sick of being Thaksin's bitch.

Edited by MrSnrang

2 men arrested following attack against PM's car

Two men were arrested Tuesday in connection with an attack on Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's car, besieged by a red shirt mob that smashed its rear window and injured his bodyguards while the car was stuck at a red light near South Pattaya Road.

- The Nation / 2009-04-07

30099828-01.jpg

Privy Councillor Chanchai Likhitjittha

Police investigating a plot to kill a privy councillor

Suspected gunman in custody

Provincial Police Region 1 arrested a 35-year-old man in Samut Prakan on Saturday on suspicion of being a gunman carrying out a contract on the life of Privy Councillor Chanchai Likhitjittha, senior police officers said on Tuesday.

Police said the suspected gunman was in their custody after he was spotted casing Chanchai's home at Soi Suksawat 66, Phra Pradaeng district.

The contract on Chanchai's life was allegedly scheduled for Tuesday.

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra singled out Chanchai as one of the four senior judges responsible for his legal wrangling. Chanchai was the President of the Supreme Court during the turmoil.

Following his retirement, he became the Justice Minister in the Surayud Chulanont government. Under the royal command, he was appointed to the Privy Council in 2008.

- The Nation / 2009-04-07

Edited by sriracha john

r3760624355.jpg

A motorcycle blocks the car carrying Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva after he was stuck in traffic as supporters of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra try to attack Abhisit in Pattaya April 7, 2009. Protesters attacked a car carrying Abhisit on Tuesday as a minister warned that opposition elements wanted to cause chaos at a big rally this week in a bid to topple the government. Abhisit was unhurt, but a window in his car was smashed when a group of red-shirted demonstrators surrounded the vehicle in Pattaya.

REUTERS

Previously, lots of people liked to compare the expected outcome in Western countries of incidents occurring in Thailand, eg. seizing the airport, occupation of Government House.

In the Pattaya situation, I have small doubt the Secret Service would have a put a bullet in every one of those of people attacking the vehicle of the U.S. president.

Good point. All things considered, a lot of restraint was shown by the police and Abhisit's bodyguards. That is unless the BiB are actually turning a blind eye and conspiring to help out their old buddy Thaksin. Who knows who is on whose side now?

r3760624355.jpg

A motorcycle blocks the car carrying Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva after he was stuck in traffic as supporters of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra try to attack Abhisit in Pattaya April 7, 2009. Protesters attacked a car carrying Abhisit on Tuesday as a minister warned that opposition elements wanted to cause chaos at a big rally this week in a bid to topple the government. Abhisit was unhurt, but a window in his car was smashed when a group of red-shirted demonstrators surrounded the vehicle in Pattaya.

REUTERS

Hmmm...if some of these guys overseas start googeling "Pattaya" images, there may actually be an increase in Tourism.

from the nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...shes-out-at-att

Deputy Interior Minister Thavorn lashes out at attackers on PM's car

Deputy Interior Minister Thavorn Senneam was angry at pro-Thaksin protesters who attacked Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's car in Chon Buri, saying ex-premier Thasin Shinawatra should go back to hel_l.

Thavorn said "Thaksin has been behind the red shirts' use of violence against the government. I cursed and wanted him to return to hel_l. I also asked to increase Thaksin's bounty to be more than Bt1m."

He accepted that the attack which saw Abhisit's car damaged showed more violence could happen in the future. Therefore, tt was necessary to improve a plan to deal with D-Day rally scheduled Wednesday.

end of quote:

seens they get a bit nervous.....

reason of edit: removed the google adds which I copy/paste by mistake

Strong words and talks about increasing the pay day for any wannabe bounty hunters suggests the nastiness is getting worse by the day. I am sure Thaksin and his allies wouldn't blink at taking out a couple of the people speaking so strongly against him .... and I would imagine they would be prepared to offer more than 1 million baht.

When does a protest become a disturbance of the peace under Thai law? Does such a law even exist, given that people seem to make as much noise as they want all over the city.

I would certainly call it a disturbance of the peace if 10 people, let alone thousands, were outside my home yelling abuse tomorrow.

Somehow we can be fairly sure that Prem won't be at home tomorrow. Maybe he's off playing golf in Dubai with his buddy Thaksin.

Well, it's 8:40pm and I think it's fairly safe to say, that the people who aren't on a bus, truck or train yet, on their way to Bangkok, are probalby watching their favorite soap and are going to bed after.

Only having heard a few reports of people heading to Bangkok from the Provinces, I stick to my estimate of 20002 Demonstrators tomorrow.

I think this whole thing is one big hype. Will it lead to an overthrow of the current Government? Not likely!

I think the RED Shirt leaders, including Thaksin, have grossly underestimated Thai Peoples loyalty to their Monarch and the People he chooses to appoint under him.

I think, the wise thing for Thaksin right now, would be to concede, send his loyal pawns home, ask you know who for forgiveness (if he ever wants to come back to Thailand), or just stay away and spend his billions somewhere else.

I think doing anything else at this point, is pure insanity.

Then again, what do I know. This is Thailand and people here do things their own way and most of the time, quite different from us Westerners ;-) (which doesn't make it wrong, just different)

One of my wife's very distant relatives called her up on Sunday, under the pretext of chatting, then proceeded to invite her to "Go to a party on the 8th" at Government house. She then mentioned that my wife would be able to receive a few hundred baht expense money as well. My wife mentioned that she thought the red shirt/yellow shirt nonsense was ridiculous, and her relative launched into this 10 minute diatribe spouting the red shirt party line (for similar examples, See any post by Koo). My wife tried to discuss the issue, but the relative didn't have much to discuss (not the brightest bulb on the tree). Questions that my wife asked were ignored etc.

I don't know this relative (indeed, my wife hasn't heard from her in years), but if they are calling relatives to "Go to a party", i can't help but think turnout is going to be less than the "1 million" that the UDD leaders promised. The promise of money was pretty funny as well, as the Reds always seem to claim that their people are "true believers" and not just paid lackeys.

Edited by jbowman1993