Please Explain

bangkokrick

Hi guys,

I know that this is basic Thai but i just don't get it, so i would be obliged if someone can clearly explain this. the books, Cd's seem to contradict the meanings.

Mai chi tee ranahaan (restaurant)

Mai tee ranahaan

What is the difference?

Thanks,

Cheers, Rick

I think what your after is mai is used for a straight out 'no' answer to a question and mai chai is used for when someone ends a question with chai mai or if your saying something along the lines of incorrect ...I would write in thai font for you but dont have it on my computer

hope that helps and hope i read your question correctly!!

I think what your after is mai is used for a straight out 'no' answer to a question and mai chai is used for when someone ends a question with chai mai or if your saying something along the lines of incorrect ...I would write in thai font for you but dont have it on my computer

Thank you Hunterdavies that makes things a lot clearer now and you did read my question correctly. Sometimes Thai can be a nightmare. So unless they say 'chi mai' I will use 'mai'?

Cheers, Rick

By the way I am so glad that you did not write in Thai script because I can not understand it, but I admire people that can. I have tried so many times to learn the alphabet but I just does not sink in. Maybe there is a correlation between age and stupidity?

Cheers, Rick

Probally a good way to look at 'chai mai' would be the equivalent to the phrase 'isn't that so?' or 'is that correct' and if you agree an answer of 'chai' will do.

Maybe with something like the alphabet and it not sticking you might find the more you learn the more fun you have.. so it will stick..well thats what i have found,im having a great time.Also i just realised this is my first post where i've actually contributed something to this forum :o

Probally a good way to look at 'chai mai' would be the equivalent to the phrase 'isn't that so?' or 'is that correct' and if you agree an answer of 'chai' will do.

Maybe with something like the alphabet and it not sticking you might find the more you learn the more fun you have.. so it will stick..well thats what i have found,im having a great time.Also i just realised this is my first post where i've actually contributed something to this forum :o

You have contributed my friend, so thanks for that. I do enjoy learning Thai, but the big mistake that i made was to move onto intermediate Thai before I knew the basics. I can speak and understand Thai but i make mistakes, so I have decided to start at the basic level to improve things. I do an hour a day listening to the Pimsleur lessons, but I find conradictions there, that is why I asked the question.

I will get back to the reading writing in due course. I just find it very useful to ask questions on the forum because I am sure that we all have similar doubts about the language. Good on you for being able to write and i guess read.

Thanks, Rick.

My thai is pretty basic but I always think of the 'mai' on the end of a phrase as similar to a question mark or intonation at the end of a sentence in english (indicating a question).

So chai mai = Yes? and chai = Yes

chawp mai = like? and chawp = like

ow mai = want? and ow = want

It is then easy to work out if a question is being posed or not and formulate an answer if required.

I know it's probably just a simpletons :o way of making sense of it but it does help me to think of it like this.

Edit - don't forget your khrap - "chai khrap"

Edited by Pakeha

What's the intended meaning here? I see a few possibilities...

Not at the restaurant.

OK when do I use 'mai' and when do I use mai chi? In any conversation.

Thanks Rick

straight forward with not too much explanation.

"Not at the restaurant" in Thai is

Mai chi tee ranahaan

(i am using your script)

What's the intended meaning here? I see a few possibilities...

Not at the restaurant.

OK when do I use 'mai' and when do I use mai chi? In any conversation.

Thanks Rick

straight forward with not too much explanation.

"Not at the restaurant" in Thai is

Mai chi tee ranahaan

(i am using your script)

Thanks for the help guys things are a bit clearer now. So if the question includes Chi i will reply with a Chai.

Cheers, Rick

Rick, are you referring to yourself? If so, to say: "mai dai yuu tee ranahaan," would proably be clearer. So if someone asked you: "yuu tee ranahaan mai," you would answer "(pom*) yuu," or "(pom) mai yuu" (short for mai dai yuu, and assuming you weren't there). If "yuu tee ranahaan chai mai," answer, "chai, (pom) yuu tee ranahaan" or "mai, (pom) mai dai yuu tee ranahaan." Good luck and do try and learn Thai script...

*Pronoun entirely optional.

My thai is pretty basic but I always think of the 'mai' on the end of a phrase as similar to a question mark or intonation at the end of a sentence in english (indicating a question).

It is then easy to work out if a question is being posed or not and formulate an answer if required.

I know it's probably just a simpletons :o way of making sense of it but it does help me to think of it like this.

A simpleton's way is what most of us need - and yours sounds like a pretty good explaination to me.

I think (but am not sure) that the Mai in this instance is a rising tone where the Mai that means no is a flat tone. Ow Mai (do you want this?) is always said with the Mai rising whereas Mai ow (I don't want this) is said with the Mai flat and (I think) the Ow falling - but then I am not an expert at this. Regarding the Mai bit I just asked Wee Wifey and she says I am correct.

So Chai Mai would mean Yes as a question.

Mai rising means 'is this correct?"

Whereas Mai flat means 'No', 'Not' (or any negative).

Hope this helps and please correct me if I am wrong.

A simpleton's way is what most of us need - and yours sounds like a pretty good explaination to me.

I think (but am not sure) that the Mai in this instance is a rising tone where the Mai that means no is a flat tone. Ow Mai (do you want this?) is always said with the Mai rising whereas Mai ow (I don't want this) is said with the Mai flat and (I think) the Ow falling - but then I am not an expert at this. Regarding the Mai bit I just asked Wee Wifey and she says I am correct.

So Chai Mai would mean Yes as a question.

Mai rising means 'is this correct?"

Whereas Mai flat means 'No', 'Not' (or any negative).

Hope this helps and please correct me if I am wrong.

The rising "mai" is indeed the question tag. The "mai" meaning NO should be a falling one and the "aow" (or "ow", as you write it) is a mid tone, as far as I know. (Perhaps a Thai person can enlighten us all?)

Edited by robenroute

I agree with Robenroute. 'Mai' rising is a question. 'Mai' falling is 'no/not'. 'Ao'- to want is mid. Also MKAsok is correct; 'Yuu' (low) or 'Yuu ti' is more likely than just 'ti' in this case. (Although I thought the inclusion of 'dai' in 'Mai dai yuu' would indicate past tense- 'I wasn't there)'. (Hi mate btw)

However, like the rest of us I am just a learner. Where are the forum heavyweights? Maybe they thought they'd let us sort this out amongst ourselves. lol.

BTW to the OP, whose posts I often read but never had cause to reply to; you could try learning to write (as opposed to type for example). You can get those children's learners where you trace page after page of letters. If you say the letter name or sound as you do it you should learn the alphabet pretty well. (Worked for me anyway and is more rewarding that it might sound).

[EDIT: To put the words in my post in the correct order-d'oh}

Edited by Slip

Although I thought the inclusion of 'dai' in 'Mai dai yuu' would indicate past tense- 'I wasn't there)'.

I learned the same rule at school, but later found that in actual usage, many Thais seem to use 'mai dai + verb' to refer to the present tense as well.

Flagging down a red cab for example and asking 'pai X mai khrap' (are you going to X?) and the reply is sometimes 'mai pai' and sometimes 'mai dai pai'.

Although I thought the inclusion of 'dai' in 'Mai dai yuu' would indicate past tense- 'I wasn't there)'.

I learned the same rule at school, but later found that in actual usage, many Thais seem to use 'mai dai + verb' to refer to the present tense as well.

Flagging down a red cab for example and asking 'pai X mai khrap' (are you going to X?) and the reply is sometimes 'mai pai' and sometimes 'mai dai pai'.

Yes, this is a good point not found (easily) in the grammar books ...

I see mai dai + verb as having two possibilities

1. mai daai bpai ... I did NOT go (past tense; imagine mai dai bpai rawk!)

2. mai daai bpai .. not GET to go (present tense ... no CURRENT opportunity or chance to go)

-NG

I see mai dai + verb as having two possibilities

Also, just for the sake of completeness: (From Higbie) "haven't yet" with "yang" ('haven't yet but intend to' - in contrast to 'haven't yet but not sure of intention' if "dai" is omitted); not as thought (stating something that's the opposite of what was thought).