Need A New Pc And Monitor - Not Expensive

torrenova

Got to buy someone who does work for me a new PC. They work from the UK so it will be UK sourced.

Uses will be Excel, Access, VBA, some minor graphics stuff but largely multi tasking with constant internet feeds (prices) inwards. Will be running multiple Excel at one time, all with constant VB in the background.

So I guess the main issue is RAM ?

Processor ? Core 2 Duo / Quad Duo / or some AMD variant ?

Is quad core the future or just a small stepping stone over duo ? Worth the money ? is it a risk ?

Presumably Vista - 32bit or 64 bit ?

Software - get real or just some pirate stuff from Thailand sent over ? Don't know prices for real stuff :o

Makes ? I guess the UK has most of what we have here but open to ideas.

Will need printer as well I think - ideas as well.

Don't need a super computer. I can run the same at this end on a P4 (with some limitations I agree but only 1gb RAM). Need value for money.

All suggestions welcomed.

First u need to lay down a budget , so others could help u with the parts and work within the budget

Why ?

Obviously I'd like to spend nothing but in order to work through the next 2 or 3 years, what specifications will I need and from there a price is automatically generated.

I could go to Dell and see 20 PCs from say £250 to £2500 but I don't want to pay £250 if it will not o the job when I could perhaps spend £500 and get what I want. My lack of knowledge might draw me into spending £1000 when there is no need to do so for my requirements.

So, if anyone can help with what I need, then I can price up systems which meet the required specifications. Sort of reverse engineering.

The overwhelming response to your question should give you an answers...

Tell this forum at least something like "I do not want spend more than xxx $" and you will receive some suggestions.

And if you stand to your previous remark

Obviously I'd like to spend nothing

then there is no need to waste time and answer your questions. No spending money means no PC! Easy.

Don't take it personally but when I 'am going to buy something I know at least my budget...

Edited by webfact

If you want something ready made then Acer or HP Compaq. You say a P4 does the job so look for a computer with an Intel E5xxx series processor, cheap and will out perform your old P4. Next step up will be E7xxx, then E8xxx. Unless VBA makes use of 4 cores then Dual Core is all you need. Make sure you can add in more RAM, 3GB or 4GB max as unless you're using a 64bit OS anything over 3GB won't be of much use. If you need to buy a separate budget monitor then the Acer X193W is worth a look.

What are you going to use it for.  If file transfer email and letter writing,  you don't need much but a 4500 baht for used p4 and install linux for free.   If your going to run high level games then your going to want 3ghz FSB 1333 and 4g ram and a nvidia card.  24,000 baht.   Add on for software and OS  The only thing I use windows for is NASCAR sim. :o