Insoles And Shoe Inserts

myauq

i'd like to know where i can get myself a pair of shock absorbing insoles and shoe inserts in bkk. i've bought a number of really nice pairs of shoes in bangkok over the years, but they don't offer much in the way of shock absorption. i'd like to continue wearing the ones i already have, but they would be a far sight more comfortable if they had some sturdy insoles in them.

where i should be looking?

i'd like to know where i can get myself a pair of shock absorbing insoles and shoe inserts in bkk. i've bought a number of really nice pairs of shoes in bangkok over the years, but they don't offer much in the way of shock absorption. i'd like to continue wearing the ones i already have, but they would be a far sight more comfortable if they had some sturdy insoles in them.

Shoe section at:

-- TESCO-LOTUS

-- Big C

-- Carrefour

-- Central Department Store

-- Robinson " "

Mac

Shoe section at:

-- TESCO-LOTUS

-- Big C

-- Carrefour

-- Central Department Store

-- Robinson " "

Mac

cool - thanks.

i've never noticed them there, so i'll check some of these places out tomorrow on my travels.

also want to have a look at some sports shops.

With some amazing luck, I solved my own problem, and found exactly what I was looking for ! I trust that the man who helped me will not object to some free publicity:

Henry G. Joensen

Orthotic & Biomechanics Consultant

524/7 Soi Matanusorn

Mahaisawan Road

Bangkholaem, Bangkok 10120

Tel. (02) 292 - 1200 Fax:(02) 292 - 1480 E-mail: [email protected]

Orthotics is the name of the game. Playing tennis for years without orthotics caused my metatarsal on my primary weight bearing service foot to collapse.

Podiatrists said very common. Prescribed orthotics after making mold of foot.

Problem went away aftr six months, however have hammer toe as a result of the collapse of the metatarsal.

If I don't wear my orthotics, foot pain.

Most professional tennis players today wear orthotics as a matter of course.

Finding a orthotically correct sandal was the challenge as you can't wear an orthotic with sandals.

Went to a high class walking shoe store and asked for the highest arch support sandall available and they suggested Mephisto Zonder.

Their sandal has a cork top to the heavy rubber sole that in a week or so conforms to the bottom of your foot in addition to having a very high arch support.

They are expensive but I wear them exclusively in Thailand and have no foot trouble at all, ever.

When I wear my soft Nike walking shoes, even with orthotics, my feet ache quickly, indicative that that the soft sole doesn't provide support, even with an orthotic.

I am pushing jet zip so am in the category of people with the most foot trouble, so I am blessed in finding my remedy.

found these nuggets from a tv posted 5 years ago :o

i also prefer to walk everywhere in running shoes which are kind on the feet and knees, but when working or doing business that's not always the most attractive option with the suit trousers.

orthotics would be ideal, custom molded :D - not sure where to go for these though.

• 4 months later...

Living in BKK, I find myself walking like I never walked back in the USA, particularly living in Los Angeles.

Since I'm tall with large size feet, I found myself ordering Spenco RX full foot insoles from the U.S. They're better quality and certainly will last longer than the cheap ones found in the local Thai stores.

But my GF works here in a local hospital spending many hours on her feet, and lately has been complaining about sore feet and legs. So yesterday, I came across a local Thai store in BKK that seems to stock a pretty good range of orthotics, insoles and even a range of specially cushioned men's and women's shoes and sandals -- all at pretty reasonable prices. Sizes up to 14 U.S.

The name is Healthy Max Health Promotion Pharmacy, located on the ground floor of the Wave Place Building, near the Ploenchit BTS Station. The Wave Place Building is the one housing the Home Pro Plus store there, which is attached by walkway from the Ploenchit station.

The store is open from 9 am to 8 pm daily, and has a phone number of 02-655-7734. I spent some time there yesterday with the staff exploring their products. The store is somewhat like a regular pharmacy, but with special sections devoted to footwear and sleeping products, such as the supportive pillows and such.

At a higher and more costly level, the Verasu store on Wireless Road between Sukhumvit and the U.S. Embassy has a special in-store shop upstairs that specializes in orthotic, custom insole footwear. It's called "Fit for Feet" and they advertise selling German-made Finn Comfort walking shoes for men, women and golf. I stopped by there during a visit a few months ago, and their shoes were very pricey...

The poster who posted the info pertaing to Henry Joenson is spot on Henry will take an imprint of the foot and then build a specific orthotic that is custom to that foot. He has more than 10 years of making them and does so in his lab. each pair takes about 6 hours to construct. He has outfitted world class marothoners and other athletes. He makes a world class product...

My last encounter with him was years ago and he was charging about 3500b a pair. He keeps the mold of your foot for about a year in case you want to order more pairs...he uses diffrent componds depending on what types of shoes you will wear them in.

Foot pain, anle pain ,knee pain and low back pain can be helped with his product.

HOWEVER.....he is not a Doctor and cannot give a diagnosis........

• 11 months later...

Siam Paragorn has a Scholl Shoes Section with a variety of inserts. However, both mens and ladies Scholls are at the back of the ladies shoes section, so if you go looking around the mens shoes you won't find anything.

Best of Luck

Peter

Edited by peted

• 9 months later...

A couple of comments....

1. the shop I mentioned in a prior post here located near the Ploenchit BTS stations appears to have gone out out business or at least relocated... It's gone from that shopping center, and last time I was by, I didn't see any signage indicating anything about a new location.

2. the kinds of Dr. Scholl's and similar products I've seen in the Thai stores strike me as being little more than cushioned insoles, and not comparable to a real orthotic...

3. I've never used the local guy mentioned in a post above. But I have been buying New Balance orthotic insoles from an online vendor in the USA and then having them shipped over here...

New Balance makes quite a large line of orthotic insoles, including ones tailored to specific conditions like flat feet and such... The pricing is around $15 to $25 per pair, and they have them available also in large shoe sizes... They're good quality and have provided quite a bit of relief from the plantar symptoms I was having...especially the model labeled "pressure relief with metatarsal" selling for $25 a pair.

Joe's New Balance Outlet

The products are all new and in sealed retail packaging, despite the retailer's name. But the prices are quite a bit less than even what you'd finding looking on Amazon.

I should have added above, re the New Balance retailer, they don't appear to do international shipping... So in my case, I'm having a mail forwarding service receive and then send the items onward to me...

Here's what their insoles look like:

post-53787-0-58044900-1306833252_thumb.j

post-53787-0-12415600-1306833255_thumb.j

post-53787-0-60996900-1306833257_thumb.j

Having tried both of them, the somewhat more expensive pressure relief version is thicker and provides much better cushioning...at least for my feet.