Where To Buy Gold (not Gold Jewellery)

I am curious to know can gold be easily purchased without being made up into Jewellery. For example, can you buy gold bars at the prices, per baht shown on gold shop windows without having to then buy it as jewellery. If so can anybody suggest anywhere to buy it in Bangkok. I assume you need to buy a fair weight of it. Another idea might be to buy Krugerrands. Short of buying gold necklaces and jewellery this is not an area I have any knowledge on but am keen to actually buy some and put it away in my bank safety deposit box for a rainy day. The couple of gold shops I have asked seem to look at me blankly and say they do not sell gold unless they have made it up into jewellery and applied their markup.

If you are looking for investment gold dont buy anything (as less than a bar buyer) other than known real coins (maples, eagles, krugerands)..

If you are 'investing' in any quatity I highly reccomend the perth mint certificates.. They are backed up by the australian government (western oz mines) and for the tiny premuim you pay over spot price save you in storage and insurance fees..

It can all be done online with kitco.com which is also a very good info resource...

Hello

I'm in jewellery business and know something about it. In general you can't buy gold bar in gold/bth price in Thailand unless you are friends to jewellery shop owner. If you are really interested to buy gold bar, please pm. me. I'll give you information. The shop is in Chantaburi.

"mydrawingtable"

I second the Kitco.com suggestion. Very easy. I've also used Asset Stragtegies Inernational (they have a website) to buy bullion though I have not used their Perth Mint Cert option which I've heard good things about. You cannot purchase gold bullion at these places with a credit card and will need to either do a wire transfer or send a check. You can go to kitco.com right now and secure some coins at a price not much above the spot price. Keep in mind that coins such as Krugerrands (and I belive Eagles) do have an ounce of gold in them but also a bit of other metals so that they are harder. Maple Leafs and Aussie coins are 100% gold.

I think the gold price is going to go up in a big way so I wouldn't bother trying to save a few bucks here in Bangkok by buying bars. Coins just seem so much easier to move when you want to sell and you'll have a lot less worry about getting ripped off.

Mydrawingtable I am surprise to your statement ‘ In general exetera ‘

The 2 Chinese families I know just have some weeding and they went to china town Yualawat to get some 5 and 10 baths gold bar , I think the price they paid are little bit less as the jeweler gold , what is understanding because less labor in it .

I am not sure if that are what the first poster are talking about ?

I am not sure how easy or difficult it is to sell back outside Thailand ?

but i understand the security of perth mint certificat , but bit hard to set up if you live in bangkok ...

I am curious to know can gold be easily purchased without being made up into Jewellery.  For example, can you buy gold bars at the prices, per baht shown on gold shop windows without having to then buy it as jewellery.    If so can anybody suggest anywhere to buy it in Bangkok.  I assume you need to buy a fair weight of it.  Another idea might be to buy Krugerrands.  Short of buying gold necklaces and jewellery this is not an area I have any knowledge on but am keen to actually buy some and put it away in my bank safety deposit box for a rainy day.  The couple of gold shops I have asked seem to look at me blankly and say they do not sell gold unless they have made it up into jewellery and applied their markup.

Just about any decent gold shop sell gold bars. The price written on the windows is actually the baht price if you buy bars - for jewellry they add a small amount on top of that price.

The place to go if you are planning to buy quantities is Yaowarat (China town) - pick any shop where you see some volumes changing hands. They'll buy it back from you at whatever the baht price is if/when you want to sell. If you sell to another shop than where you bought it, they may take off 100-200 THB/baht from the price because they'll have to re-stamp the bars with their own 'logo'.

Mydrawingtable I am surprise to your statement  ‘ In general exetera ‘

The 2 Chinese families I know just have some weeding and they went to china town Yualawat to get some 5 and 10 baths gold bar , I think the price they paid are little bit less as the jeweler gold , what is understanding because less labor in it .

I am not sure if that are what the first poster are talking about ?

I am not sure how easy or difficult it is to sell back outside Thailand ?

but i understand the security of perth mint certificat , but bit hard to set up if you live in bangkok ...

You are right about that. You can ofcouse buy from BKK-ChinaTown. The price for gold bar is a bit cheaper the finished jewellery. I just happened to know the shop in Chantaburi which is very honest and I always buy from him. So, I though' that might be useful information.

And becuase I never been in BKK-ChinaTown so I don't know about that. I'm in jewellery business as a designer. If my information is useless so please ignor it.

I am curious to know can gold be easily purchased without being made up into Jewellery.   For example, can you buy gold bars at the prices, per baht shown on gold shop windows without having to then buy it as jewellery.    If so can anybody suggest anywhere to buy it in Bangkok.   I assume you need to buy a fair weight of it.  Another idea might be to buy Krugerrands.  Short of buying gold necklaces and jewellery this is not an area I have any knowledge on but am keen to actually buy some and put it away in my bank safety deposit box for a rainy day.   The couple of gold shops I have asked seem to look at me blankly and say they do not sell gold unless they have made it up into jewellery and applied their markup.

Just about any decent gold shop sell gold bars. The price written on the windows is actually the baht price if you buy bars - for jewellry they add a small amount on top of that price.

The place to go if you are planning to buy quantities is Yaowarat (China town) - pick any shop where you see some volumes changing hands. They'll buy it back from you at whatever the baht price is if/when you want to sell. If you sell to another shop than where you bought it, they may take off 100-200 THB/baht from the price because they'll have to re-stamp the bars with their own 'logo'.

Excellent info thanks for that and to all the other posters - I like the idea of the Perth scenario if I was looking at buying large quantity but its really just to keep in the safety deposit box something that can be exchanged for cash very quickly in an emergency and potentially see what happens to the price of gold for a bit of fun. Nothing too serious but just dont want her indoors assuming a gold necklace is hers if I come back with jewellery and even worse her assuming, well if its not for me, who else is it for????????????

did someone bought from perth mint before ? said 30000 australian dollars ?

what is the marge they take from gold price ?

keeping fees and insurance ?

how secure it is ? how long it take to sell back and get money ?

thank if someone can answer ..

just interested to know

Ok , will answer my own question , i did contact the Perth mint who put me through jaggars in Australia .

http://www.jaggards.com.au

i phone to then to know the procedure , reply the form , send it with photocopy of passport and they will make the order , can be coin / bar / certificate , i choose the later as it will not be charge or worry for storage or keeping !

cost are buy 2 % with 10 dollars for certificate and 0.5 % tax ..

price at market ..minimum 10000 dollars for the first time ..transfer to them .

take three day to sell , send back the certificate sign to them .

I have a Australian passport , did not ask if a non Australian can get it ..

i was interested with silver too ..

perhaps someone will be interested with this info ...

GLD -- an exchange traded fund on NYSE

GLD is great in theory but I am unhappy with thier reporting systems..

Already they have duplicate bar numbers listed multiple times in storage lists and there is a lot of very very funny fineprint in the sections which deal with responsibility to account for the amount of gold held verses the total value.. I can probably dig up a warning report or two if I try and if anyone is interested.

Fine for a 'trade' or short term holding but not what I would use for a long term position..

As to Perth Mint certs.. Nothing difficult at all to sort out from BKK.. I find Kitco to be a very professional organisation and despite not wishing to trust them with banking my bullion I was very impressed by the communication, slim discount, speed of service, etc..

I intend to add perhaps 100k USD of silver for a few months after watching its movements recently..