Chiangmai Foreign Cemetery

MAJORUS

The Chiangmai Foreign Cemetery Committee is about to publish the 6th Edition of De Mortuis:(Of the Dead).The Story of The Chiangmai Foreign Cemetery.Since the 5th Edition was published in 1999 there have been 50 new interments.The committee has obtained obituaries for 45 of those for for insertion into the new edition but require information on the following.

YVES MINIOT.FRENCH. BORN IN BOURGES 20.8.1944.Died of a brain haemorrage in Chiangmai Ram 2 on 2.11.2006.

DAVID POULSON.BRITISH.Born in Newton Le Willows England 2.8.1942.Died of cancer of the larynx 5.9.2005.Lived in Sansai and also Australia for a time.

WILLIAM HENRY BLEAKLEY.USA.Born in Ireland 3.3.1929.Died of septicemia Chiangmai Ram 31.10.2007.lived in Sansai.

FRANCES HAMLIN.USA.Born in Miamisburg Ohio 11.9.1912. Died in Ohio on 15.5.2006.She was the wife of Rev Earle John Hamlin who as far as we know is still alive.They worked as missionaries in Chiangmai some years ago.

DAVID GEORGE GRANT.BRITISH.Born in Banff Scotland 24.7.1947.Died 14.8.2007.He lived at 273 Moo2 T.Tamtum A.Pachang Lamphun and was married to a Thai woman.

If anyone could provide any information on the above the committee would be extremely grateful as they do not want to insert only a name with date of birth and death

Please let me know when the new edition is published. I think the cemetery is fascinating and reflects the history of the farang community in CM.

maybe you know MAJORUS

What's the story behing the US marine sergeant who died a couple of years ago aged just 26? Why's he buried in CM?

Is the W Wood 'Asian Legend' from the same family as WAR Wood the former British Consul and author of a few books describing Lanna life in the early part of the 20th century?

Please let me know when the new edition is published. I think the cemetery is fascinating and reflects the history of the farang community in CM.

maybe you know MAJORUS

What's the story behing the US marine sergeant who died a couple of years ago aged just 26? Why's he buried in CM?

Is the W Wood 'Asian Legend' from the same family as WAR Wood the former British Consul and author of a few books describing Lanna life in the early part of the 20th century?

Hi Loaded the book should be out in May I will let you know the exact date when I get it from the printer.

The US Marine was J.B.Gross buried in plot B38 JB as he was known was a popular guy around the Escape bar he was 56 when he died the correct DOB is now on the cross.

R.W.(Dick)Wood researched and published the first edition of De Mortuis and as it says in the book he is in no way related to W.A.R.Wood the British Consul who died in 1970 and is buried under the Wood Chapel.Both JB and Dick's obituaries are in the new edition.MAJORUS

Hi Loaded the book should be out in May I will let you know the exact date when I get it from the printer.

The US Marine was J.B.Gross buried in plot B38 JB as he was known was a popular guy around the Escape bar he was 56 when he died the correct DOB is now on the cross.

R.W.(Dick)Wood researched and published the first edition of De Mortuis and as it says in the book he is in no way related to W.A.R.Wood the British Consul who died in 1970 and is buried under the Wood Chapel.Both JB and Dick's obituaries are in the new edition.MAJORUS

Thanks MAJORUS

I remember reading one of WAR Wood's books of short stories. I'm pretty sure Gecko books stock. I think the one when the little boy went to Bangkok to speak to the King to tell him about an injustice against his family. The name of the teaktrader (Mcfie I think) is on a few of the headstones.

maybe you know MAJORUS

Perhaps you might add something to this thread when the book becomes available (and how one might get a copy)

maybe you know MAJORUS

Perhaps you might add something to this thread when the book becomes available (and how one might get a copy)

I will post full info for everyone when we get the book from the printers,Thanks for the Obituary on Bill Bleakley to those concerned,does nobody who lives in Lamphun know anything about David Grant,there were a lot of people at his funeral

• 1 year later...

maybe you know MAJORUS

Please could you let me know where I can buy the latest copy of this very interesting sounding book.

Many thanks.

Nancy7

maybe you know MAJORUS

This is interesting.

Would there be anyway that detailed records of births, marriages, deaths and burials of farangs in Thailand over the last 200 years or more could be obtained and produced as a book or CD.

A best seller in the making.

Would there be records of this held anywhere? I`m sure this would be of great interest to many.

Please let us know when this book will be published, I would like a copy.

Edited by Beetlejuice

This is interesting.

Would there be anyway that detailed records of births, marriages, deaths and burials of farangs in Thailand over the last 200 years or more could be obtained and produced as a book or CD.

A best seller in the making.

Would there be records of this held anywhere? I`m sure this would be of great interest to many.

Please let us know when this book will be published, I would like a copy.

A book is available from the family who caretake the cemetery. It's 200 baht and gives a little background to each grave. I don't think there are government registers for births, marriages and deaths for Thais that go back 200 years. Individual consulates probably have records of their citizens but unlikely they would allow the general public to view imo.

Thanks all for your interest,a quick update.I have information on Bill Bleakley and it is in the 6th Edition which is now available

at the cemetery and also The Old Bell Pub and some other watering holes.I also have information on Francis Hamlin

as her late husbands ashes will be interred beside her at the end of this month when the arrive from USA

I still want info on Yves Miniot 2.11.2006 he has a daughter called Natalie Fabry who lives in France thats all I can find out.

David Poulson.5.9.2005 and David George Grant.14.8.2007 I still can't trace relatives.If WhiteRussian can help I will be extremely

gratefull.I have records going back to around 1890 at present plus other interesting stuff like the 16 men who went off to france in WW1

and the three who made it back to Chiangmai,also the comings and goings of many people between 1895 and 1920 in a diary

kept by a missionary here in that period might be worth putting them in the 7th edition if I am not in it myself.MAJORUS

• 6 months later...

For those of us who are already here and need to organise things, do you have a contact for the cemetery, please? I would like to pre-organise my arrangements.

If you go to the cemetery, there is a map of the plots fixed to the wall of the caretaker's house. You can see the plots that are available. I think you would need to pass the committee before being allowed to book a space though. Their contact details are on the map.

Interestingly, if you travel a little further along the CM-Lamphun Road and turn left at the next soi, you'll come across hundreds of Thai Christian's graves in a graveyard that borders the other side of the Gymkhana's golf course.

Anicca

Edited by Loaded