Belgium Or Dutch People Who Lives In Phuket?

evitas

Go and talk to Pim and Els, a Dutch couple who have been running a Dutch bar/restaurant in Patong for a very long time. Their place is called "The Old Dutch" (or something very close), and it is at one of the sois running inland from Beach Road, south of Soi Bangla.

Would surprise me if there would be anything like a Dutch/Flemish association in Phuket, but if there is anything of the kind, they should know.

Edited by keestha

Surprisingly there are not very many of them, far less than you'ld expect in a place like Phuket. Very few Dutch diving instructors for example.

Pim and Els, as mentioned already, can help you.

I'm Dutch, but I must admit I don't make any effort at all in meeting other Dutchies, simply don't have the time for it, plus I don't like those ex-pat clubs at all.

Are there associations or meetings in Phuket where Belgium or Dutch people meet?

No idea but have an off topic question for you.

In the U.S. when you go on a date with a girl, sometimes (for the girl does not want to feel "obligated") the expression "going Dutch" refers to each party paying their own way.

Question: Where does that saying come from "going Dutch" do the Dutch always pay seperately?

Many Dutch, Belgium people in BYD LOFTS and their Jean-Pierre restaurant, always a nice bunch.

Gerd

Well, that's what they call an insider tip, one of the reasons I drop by in the Phuket forum most days. I must have passed by the BYD LOFTS countless times, but never noticed its existence, leave alone knowing that it seems to be a Dutch speaking enclave.

Will drop by, just to speak Dutch. It is my native language, but I use it so rarely that whilst speaking it, I have to concentrate not to mix it up with German, which I have to speak far more often, whilst doing my work.

OP, if you can bring a bottle of jenever, I might be willing to meet you there.

Edited by keestha

Many Dutch, Belgium people in BYD LOFTS and their Jean-Pierre restaurant, always a nice bunch.

Gerd

Well, that's what they call an insider tip, one of the reasons I drop by in the Phuket forum most days. I must have passed by the BYD LOFTS countless times, but never noticed its existence, leave alone knowing that it seems to be a Dutch speaking enclave.

Will drop by, just to speak Dutch. It is my native language, but I use it so rarely that whilst speaking it, I have to concentrate not to mix it up with German, which I have to speak far more often, whilst doing my work.

OP, if you can bring a bottle of jenever, I might be willing to meet you there.

Great I could help you with my "insider tip".

It;s a nice atmosphere in there, very relaxed and down to earth people, good food as well. Benedict the owner's wife is cooking a lot of belgium food for their regulars.

Gerd