thaigerd

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting replies!

So far we have a "take-away-queen" and an "egg-queen".

I would call my wife a "sausage queen", she runs our little sausage business very well and is able to produce up to 40kg of sausages per day.

Any more "queens" out there???

Gerd

I would then apply for the lady's title of "Massaman Queen" ... :o

but makes a heck of a "tom ka gai"... put on a few kilo's...

My wifes very good at a range of thai dishes. She's now getting good at English dishes. Potatoe pie and shepherds pie is good also. She learned to cook English food of a Thai.I've had Thai dishes in restraunts but they dont taste as good

the wifey is a skilled cook, very methodical in her approach to prep-work and fussy in choosing the freshest and bestest ingredients. She's a bit on slow side and it's not unusual to see me nibbling on snacks long before dinner is served. Funny thing is that when she lived abroad with me, she was doing all the (Thai) cooking, but when we're in Thailand I mostly cook (farang fare) for everybody in the house, and sometimes soi neighbours too. Yeah I know quite a unique arrangement, such is life

Being a really good cook was the second reason I married my Thai wife.

In the last 18 months she has opened a small shop and noodle stall and starts cooking around 10am is is always sold out by mid afternoon.

She also cooks farang food well and has attempted to teach me to cook Thai food. It works after a fashion but I am not sure if she would eat it or could even sell it. However it works for me.

Thaigerd I just bought a small home sausage machine so I will be competition with you when I get home next month, IF your wife can slow down to a couple of kilos a week.

:D:D:o

Noodle mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D:D

I will be back home at the end of May and if you live anywhere near Khampeang Phet pop in for a free plate or 2 but after 3 plates you will have to pay the bill

Being a really good cook was the second reason I married my Thai wife.

In the last 18 months she has opened a small shop and noodle stall and starts cooking around 10am is is always sold out by mid afternoon.

She also cooks farang food well and has attempted to teach me to cook Thai food. It works after a fashion but I am not sure if she would eat it or could even sell it. However it works for me.

Thaigerd I just bought a small home sausage machine so I will be competition with you when I get home next month, IF your wife can slow down to a couple of kilos a week.

:D:wai::o

Noodle mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D:D

I will be back home at the end of May and if you live anywhere near Khampeang Phet pop in for a free plate or 2 but after 3 plates you will have to pay the bill

....why do I live in Phuket :D and not near KP???

Gerd

My wife is a great cook, but a bit on the lazy side and perfer to eat out OFTEN :o:D

Mine's a great cook too, but I have one h*ll of a time getting her to take a break and go out for food. She's got a dress shop, puts in 12 hour days, gets ticked at me if I try to cook for her - it's *her* job, and she who must be obeyed will do it! The biggest problem I have is a clash of cultures - not with the food, it's all great (except I can't stand the smell of river fish here). Her culture says she must make enough food that no one goes away hungry; my culture says it's impolite to leave food on your plate. And she'll make enough for five people for me to have for breakfast! We've actually had arguments about it - and she'll back off for one day, then right back at it. We've compromised - I have breakfast leftovers for lunch! But bloody 'ell, it's such good food!!!!

I am "punished" with a very bad cook at home. I am doing all food :o .

What's your situation at home?

Gerd

hahah, I'm married to the "Take-away Queen". She's the fastest on the planet in dialing her cell to any number of tasty delights. But she serves it with such grace that I overlook it.

Honestly, in three years, I've tasted her instant coffee. Maybe I'm better off for it.

In your case, take her to the Blue Elephant, and you BOTH sign up for some cooking classes. It will be fun and you'll both find ideas to get you going. Remember, she's only learned from her Mother, and if that experience was roasting cockroaches on hot stones at an open campfire in the hills of Issan, well then what do you expect?

Joint cooking classes.

blueelephant.com/school/index.html

You can attend a single 1/2 day-session, or all 10 courses for a full week. They’re hosted by the Head Chef of this renowned chain and it's entertaining, as well as informative. Trust me, this will be f-u-n, and accomplish a goal. Instead of nagging her (to her inevitable frustration), you will make a game of it with the two of you doing it together, and it will show you care about her, so much so, that she will expect you to buy her a pair of shoes, as well.

Congrats on your renewed marriage!

You do know that it is bad luck to buy the wife's/gf's shoes?!?!? They have a very strong belief in this issue.

I am "punished" with a very bad cook at home. I am doing all food :o .

What's your situation at home?

Gerd

.................In your case, take her to the Blue Elephant, and you BOTH sign up for some cooking classes. It will be fun and you'll both find ideas to get you going. Remember, she's only learned from her Mother, and if that experience was roasting cockroaches on hot stones at an open campfire in the hills of Issan, well then what do you expect?

Joint cooking classes.

blueelephant.com/school/index.html

You can attend a single 1/2 day-session, or all 10 courses for a full week. They’re hosted by the Head Chef of this renowned chain and it's entertaining, as well as informative. Trust me, this will be f-u-n, and accomplish a goal. Instead of nagging her (to her inevitable frustration), you will make a game of it with the two of you doing it together, and it will show you care about her....................

Had a look at this and a bit on the pricey side - especially for 2 people........

2,800.00 Baht per person, per class.

6,000.00 Baht per person, per class. ( Vegetarian class )

5,000.00 Baht per person for a package of two courses.

10,000.00 Baht per person for a package of five morning or five afternoon courses.

68,000.00 Baht for a five day professional Chef private course.

Rates are subject to 10% Service Charge and 7% Government Tax.

It's one of the great things with my missus we both love COOKING normally its a debate who will cook in the evening. I never knew how good she was until we settled down in our family home, I knew she had worked for her auntie and uncle in a Thai restaurant in Taiwan but....

Most evenings when I return from work I'm surprised by what is put on the table everything from home made pies to beef rendang, roast dinners and of course Thai dishes. The only thing I find she struggles with a good fry-up breakie everything is cooked well but by the time she serves it up it's cold + she likes her bacon crispy and I don't.

Had a look at this and a bit on the pricey side - especially for 2 people........

2,800.00 Baht per person, per class.

6,000.00 Baht per person, per class. ( Vegetarian class )

5,000.00 Baht per person for a package of two courses.

10,000.00 Baht per person for a package of five morning or five afternoon courses.

68,000.00 Baht for a five day professional Chef private course.

Rates are subject to 10% Service Charge and 7% Government Tax.

Ouch, that does seem pricey, especially the 5 day professional Chef course.

This is one area I am truly blessed.

My wife made her living cooking. Besides a few up scale restaurants in LA the last job my Thai wife had (15 years with the same family) she was a personal chef. They would fly her all over from Los Angels where we lived to Aspen to their vacation house in Key west for holidays and France for a month at a time.

Let me tell you if someone takes a cook to France ya got to be good!

Edited by sendbaht

My missus puts Ros Dee in nearly everything. (powdered stock)

This isn't so bad, but I'm sure that they've increased the salt content in the last few months. Either that or I just don't like so much salt anymore. salt content of these powders is 40 to 50%. Knorr are the same.

It means that many of her meals just taste too salty.

Does anybody know of a stock cube or powder that has more flavour and less salt?

Ordinary table salt is processed and refined and in most cases is reduced to sodium chloride. Sodium Chloride is a harsh substance on the body and due to its acidic nature, excessive consumption of refined table salt or sodium chloride may lead to health problems. Himalayan Crystal Salt contains essential minerals and trace elements. It is a totally natural substance and does not undergo any processing or refining. The minerals are found in balanced proportion and are therefore easily absorbed by the body. Himalayan Crystal Salt provides health benefits including balancing the ph level and blood pressure, restoring electrolytes, preventing cramps and improving skin and bone health. In essence, ordinary table salt places strain on the internal organs such as the kidneys, which can have serious health implications, whereas Himalayan Crystal Salt is an excellent source of minerals and helps to regulate the water and electrolyte balance in the body.

Google Himalayan Crystal Salt.

Those minerals are reversing my grey hair. Great stuff.

This is one area I am truly blessed.

My wife made her living cooking. Besides a few up scale restaurants in LA the last job my Thai wife had (15 years with the same family) she was a personal chef. They would fly her all over from Los Angels where we lived to Aspen to their vacation house in Key west for holidays and France for a month at a time.

Let me tell you if someone takes a cook to France ya got to be good!

Congrats to your wife :o , she must be very good!!!

Gerd

• 4 months later...

Well I must be very lucky as my other half can cook an excellent British Sunday dinner. The Yorkshires aren’t so good as I don’t think you can get lard here in Pattaya so she uses shortening which doesn’t work as good.

She also makes Indian food, lasagna, various pasta dishes and with her ingredients. None of these expensive jars of sauces. Also pizzas using the bases from foodland at 32 baht each.

She also makes cakes and even the roti’s you can buy in the streets from the portable stalls

LOVE to cook, but particularly love to bake. Although I can cook dishes from various nationalities I cannot yet cook Thai. But, im sure with a decent book, i could learn. Only thing is that I will only cook vegetarian. Havent had any complaints about that, even from meat eating friends, thankfully, only praise. Just that when meat is wanted, its eat out time.

Partner thinks he can cook, bless him, but..hmm well..he can cook if you call cooking frying a fish, making instant noodles etc.. :)

My wife is an amazing cook! We only really eat Thai food and everything she cooks is amazing even if she has never cooked it before. I have always been considered pretty handy in a kitchen but she puts me to shame every time! I now mainly do all the BBQ and grill work.

You can get most Thai ingredients in Australia which makes things easier but she also adapts local ingredients to suit out palates. My current favourite is Larb Salmon - I BBQ to rare a Salmon fillet and she does her magic and it is one of the nicest dishes I have ever eaten!

Apart from going to our local sushi restaurant we never really eat out anymore as the food is always a disappointment (and if it is a Thai restaurant my wife tends to give them tips on improving their food :D ).

As lucky as I feel I think her life would be much easier without me as if she was cooking only for herself she would happily live on Nam Prik Kapi. :)

My wife has a standard menu of things that she cooks well and I adore, there is a curry I could happily eat twice a day every day without boredom. However with non-Thai foods supervision is sometimes required: After showing her how to make fried egg sandwiches she has mastered this simple standby meal, however when I showed her how to use a small amount of butter with the bread I did not explain that it is wise to sniff the butter first to ensure it was not rancid. There was a period of time when the sandwiches were a bit 'funny'.

• 4 weeks later...
Very interesting replies!

So far we have a "take-away-queen" and an "egg-queen".

I would call my wife a "sausage queen", she runs our little sausage business very well and is able to produce up to 40kg of sausages per day.

Any more "queens" out there???

Gerd

Hi Gerd, do you supply to restaurants? Do you know where I can buy Chaing Mai sausages? My partner has just opened a restaurant in Bangkok. Thanks Raj