Lifestyle Achievable...

AnotherWorld

Hi

Not sure if I have posted in the correct forum, if not please delete :o

What kind of lifestyle could a guy in his 20's have on around 85 - 100k baht per month? I realise this is not a lot but I am weighing up my options, experience gained and the choice of working in (yet another) overseas country.

Another q, can I sponsor a de facto partner at all if I am a resident with work permit?

Hi

What kind of lifestyle could a guy in his 20's have on around 85 - 100k baht per month? I realise this is not a lot but I am weighing up my options, experience gained and the choice of working in (yet another) overseas country.

Another q, can I sponsor a de facto partner at all if I am a resident with work permit?

Seems like you have no idea about what is like living in Thailand.

Fresh grad from an average university probably can get a job paying around 6 - 10K per month working

in Bangkok for the last few years.

Hi

Fresh grad from an average university probably can get a job paying around 6 - 10K per month working

I dont know what its like in what way?

Im not asking about salaries, I'm asking what kind of lifestyle you can expect to lead with a disposable income of 85 - 100k a month?

Hi

I dont know what its like in what way?

Im not asking about salaries, I'm asking what kind of lifestyle you can expect to lead with a disposable income of 85 - 100k a month?

The simplest thing to do is to get a ticket and visit Thailand for a week or a month to find out

for yourself.

The simplest thing to do is to get a ticket and visit Thailand for a week or a month to find out

for yourself.

My friend, I am here now and have been here many times over the last 5 years :o

Im more concerned with accommodation costs, taxes, extras (not a car), groceries and so. None of which I've really had to worry about on my previous travels. Im guessing my stated range would allow me to live relatively comfortably for Thai standards with quite a few "western" sacrifices to make. If Im wrong, please let me know!

Cheers

for yourself.

My friend, I am here now and have been here many times over the last 5 years :o

Im more concerned with accommodation costs, taxes, extras (not a car), groceries and so. None of which I've really had to worry about on my previous travels. Im guessing my stated range would allow me to live relatively comfortably for Thai standards with quite a few "western" sacrifices to make. If Im wrong, please let me know!

Cheers

With your budget and being careful you will have NO prolems.

BT

for yourself.

My friend, I am here now and have been here many times over the last 5 years :D

Cheers

If you've been so many times...why ask? :o

You can rent a place for 5k to 500k a month. Eat for 30 baht or 3000+.

On 85-100k (you said disposable?)...well, very nice 2 bed serviced apartment or room in Suk, Sathon, Tonglor etc would be about 40-45k.

That's gives you 45-55k a month to spend.

Guess on spending 10k a month - electric, gas, internet, phone, gym, transport etc etc...

Down to 35-45k. Plenty left for a few meals with the gf. So a nice lifestyle...But you knew that already :D

RAZZ

Hi

Not sure if I have posted in the correct forum, if not please delete :D

I assume you've not just plucked this figure out of the air and you've done your homework on the job you do, the going rate for that job IN Thailand, and the availability of such jobs for expats in Thailand. Until you source and achieve this elisive goal of employement you may as well quote six or even seven figure salaries because all it that is iis so much hot air.

Of course, as already said, you could be just trying to impress us with your earnings and the prospect of working in "yet another" overseas country, you poor boy you. If that's the case you have achieved grade F minus if that's possible. :D

Don't know what you mean by a "de facto" partner but assume it is a long term informal relationship (not married if your partner is a woman). Your other slight error is the use of the term "resident". Despite having a work permit you are never considered resident in Thailand, unless you go for PR but that's a whole new ball game. I don't know what the rules are for unmarried partners of working aliens in Thailand but would hazard a guess she (he?) would have to sort the visa situation out as if alone i.e. your status doesn't have any impact on the way they would be viewed or treated by immigration. But that may be incorrect and I am sure i will be corrected in the near future. :o

Don't know what you mean by a "de facto" partner but assume it is a long term informal relationship (not married if your partner is a woman). Your other slight error is the use of the term "resident". Despite having a work permit you are never considered resident in Thailand, unless you go for PR but that's a whole new ball game. I don't know what the rules are for unmarried partners of working aliens in Thailand but would hazard a guess she (he?) would have to sort the visa situation out as if alone i.e. your status doesn't have any impact on the way they would be viewed or treated by immigration. But that may be incorrect and I am sure i will be corrected in the near future. :o

Yes in Australia a de facto partner is someone you cohabit with and have a relationship supporting each other. Probably "Common law" for the Brits.

Ok thanks for clearing up the residency thing. I am also a resident of the United Arab Emirates which doesnt mean I'm a PR, it just means I have been sponsored by a company which allows me to come and go as I please until that visa is cancelled by them (usually by resigning from your job). Work permit is also something else there.

Yeah, I understand every country treats de facto spouses differently.

Thanks

With that budget and at your age you will become a very handsome man indeed. There will be no limit to the affection and accolades you will receive. In fact it's almost too much. You will need a wingman to help you burn through that kind of cash and I am here to help you.

With that budget and at your age you will become a very handsome man indeed. There will be no limit to the affection and accolades you will receive. In fact it's almost too much. You will need a wingman to help you burn through that kind of cash and I am here to help you.

Thankyou for your offer. Can I just write you 12 post dated monthly cheques for half of that amount and you remain on-call?

100k might give you respectable lifestyle in Laos, but anything under 500k/month in Bangkok would be slumming it.

I think he's trying to wind the OP up! :o

I have a couple of friend's who live in Bangkok. Both are Australian (ie like a guzzle :D ) They agreed that 120k would provide a very good lifetsyle. It would be almost impossible to spend that money unless you were out every night.

In London you'd need to earn £5-6k or more a month for the same quality of life.

Enjoy :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

dam_n we are a nice bunch here on ThaiVisa ...are we ? Did the trouble on the streets already take effect on what is called helping someone?

The OP asks a general question, and he only gets a load of crap back......

As if 85-100K is so much in Thailand.......I have been living and working in Thailand for a longer time now and I know a lot of people making 200-300 of even 500 K a month...hel_l, I make more then 300K a month ( and no I am not trying to get you worked up...its just a fact !)......We are not all teachers here....... Some of us get paid EU-wages or have businesses bringing in a decent amount of money (or both in my case).

Getting back to the question of the OP :

Yes you can have a very comfortable life in Thailand on 85-100K..........as long as you stay away from the bars (and those who inhabit them)

I can give you some insight in to my budget.....I am only spending about 1/3 of my income.....and have a very nice life in BKK ( better then I had while living in New York and London for years)

Rent for 115m2 Ploenchit 3 bedroom apartment ( nice view) 25 K

Nanny for my kid 10 K

Electric, True, Internet , water, Fitness (2x) etc... 12 K

Food (4 people) 20 K

Car rental 15 K

Fun etc... 15 K ( up to 30K ) depending

So I am making three times this.........and having a very comfortable lifestyle ...with a kid and nanny and girlfriend....so yes 85-100K will get you something nice ...

Hope this helps , as that is what a forum is for .........helping other people.....

Thanks all for the information. Not worked up at all, this is what forums are all about after all :o

Not sure where anyone thinks 85000 baht a month is a lot of money... I was earning triple in the middle east and no, I'm not trying to brag. This is the reason why I asked about some basics on the cost of living.

quote: My friend, I am here now and have been here many times over the last 5 years

So you didn't even both to make any enquiries? Go home and ask ya Mum, what a waste of space.

Nabeel... noble..? I think not. Time for a name change eh? :D

If you are that interested, the prospect of taking a position here hasn't come up in the past 5 years until now. Thanks though, I'll be sure to get my mums opinion before making any decisions!

If you are that interested, the prospect of taking a position here hasn't come up in the past 5 years until now.

Okay, so you have a position in Thailand for that money, just that your OP didn't state it.

As you can see from the above it is doable, not in real slick style but doable none the less, but the big question mark is going to be your partner and her aspirations. If she wants to work she has to do it off her own back with no special treatment because of your status, unless you can wangle her a job in the same company. Her chances of getting employment depend, obviously, on her line of business, quals and experience. If she's not going to work then boredom will be the big issue and, as I've found in the past, blokes who come here with non-working wives very often have problems. Obviously the more you go out socially the more your money fades away so you need to find activities that don't cost the earth.

If you are that interested, the prospect of taking a position here hasn't come up in the past 5 years until now.

Okay, so you have a position in Thailand for that money, just that your OP didn't state it.

As you can see from the above it is doable, not in real slick style but doable none the less, but the big question mark is going to be your partner and her aspirations. If she wants to work she has to do it off her own back with no special treatment because of your status, unless you can wangle her a job in the same company. Her chances of getting employment depend, obviously, on her line of business, quals and experience. If she's not going to work then boredom will be the big issue and, as I've found in the past, blokes who come here with non-working wives very often have problems. Obviously the more you go out socially the more your money fades away so you need to find activities that don't cost the earth.

It plenty for comfort lifestyle...why everyone think graduate only get 6,000 baht one month.....you must be crazy, most get 30,000 up. Even austriandutch pay his nanny 10,000 baht so imagine an accounts graduate. my sister just graduate and she now earn 28,000 for her first month. only working 5 hours in a daytime.

It plenty for comfort lifestyle...why everyone think graduate only get 6,000 baht one month.....you must be crazy, most get 30,000 up. Even austriandutch pay his nanny 10,000 baht so imagine an accounts graduate. my sister just graduate and she now earn 28,000 for her first month. only working 5 hours in a daytime.

I knew a Chula grad, first job, 24,000 a month.

RAZZ

I knew a Chula grad, first job, 24,000 a month.

RAZZ

yeah its a misconception the 6000 baht salary...a few people earn that but graduates get a hel_l of a lot more....most in the 30k - 40k range...a few have come to work at our place and the starting salary is 33k...

yeah its a misconception the 6000 baht salary...a few people earn that but graduates get a hel_l of a lot more....most in the 30k - 40k range...a few have come to work at our place and the starting salary is 33k...

I think for a first job in the hotel/catering industry, like everywhere it might be a bit lower...12-18k.

What's McD's - 35 baht an hour?

RAZZ

Like we've seen in the replies the answer depends on what lifestyle you want, or are used to, so maybe if you could provide us with some additional info the question would be easier to answer.

Do you need a mansion with 4 gardeners and security and maids 24 hours or are you happy in a 5000baht room? Will you be buying champagne in the posh nightclubs a couple of times a week accompanied by a couple of non paying friends and a number of high class rented ladies or do you prefer staying home reading a book? Do you need a place in Pattaya for the weekends with a Princess 65 outside or are you happy just snuggling up in the sofa watching a movie with your partner? Will you need a bunch of expensive cars with drivers to take you around or are you happy taking the bus? Does anything that haven't been prepared in a 5 star restaurant taste like shit or are you happy to eat at the food stalls? And like PhilHarries mentioned having a bored lady can cost anything from 6 days a week shopping, eating and having coffee in Gaysorn, Siam Paragon etc to a couple of bus tickets to and from some charity.

My Wife, Daughter and I live comfortably on 35k/month.

From that we have bills such as car re-payments and school fees to pay in addition to the usual rent etc. We also get a bit of luxury from time to time, such as a recent 8 day holiday on the beach.

But then other peoples perceptions if 'comfortable' vary, it's really like asking how long is a piece of string.

Edited by Moonrakers

100k might give you respectable lifestyle in Laos, but anything under 500k/month in Bangkok would be slumming it.

haha totally!

hrm, 2gs of blow 2x a week = 20k per month

2 bottles of champagne at the club 2 x per week = 80k baht.

there goes your 100k! and you don't even have a place to stay or eat yet...!

some TV millionaires swear they can't get by on less than a cool million a month... but where did all of them go? Surely they are sipping champagne in the south of France, nah - they 'choose' to be in BKK with their uber-classy teerak from BFE... riiiite.... i swear 2 years ago ThaiVisa must have had the highest average net worth per member of any forum in the known universe... until they woke up. there was a time when there was a pissing contest every week or so. Now I'd say many of those guys don't have a pot to piss in, or rather never did in the first place.

100k should be fine if you don't go overboard. Don't waste money on prostitutes and you're good. But then again, if you want a decent car (I'm talking simple Camry or similar, there goes another 1.3 million), couple vacations per month and you're out at least 20k, plane tickets home, etc. etc... nope, surface is right, less than 500k slummin it :o Get used to Mama noodles my friend.

I would have thought the OP would have known what kind of lifestyle was achievable here in BKK, as didn't he claim to have spent some significant time here??? It's not rocket surgery!

Good old Neerenam gets by on IIRC like 4999 baht a month and he's dang proud of it :D