Songkran Tales

Ulysses G.

I was just sitting on Thapae Road near JJs when a British fellow of about 55 years old came striding up the street. He wasn't saying anything - just giving everyone the angry eye - like don't mess with me. He walked by a much older farang who squirted him with water without noticing his Charles Bronson act. He came back and started yelling and poking the old fellow who asked him to calm down as it was the last day of Songkran and didn't he know what to expect by now? He continued bellowing about kicking the old guys "arse", when up came a bunch more older farangs who had been watching and drenched him once again.

He went off down the street yelling and screaming and it seemed that everyone went out of their way to give him an extra bucketful all along the way.

Nothing too interesting this year; only that the plastic bags that hang around your neck (specifically the ones given out by Dtac), were supposed to be water proof.

:o:D

In which case why was my mobile phone and a wad of change, floating around in the bag like a goldfish in a bowl. :D

Luckily my phone is pretty much indestructible, quick dry out in the sun and back to normal.

Nothing too interesting this year; only that the plastic bags that hang around your neck (specifically the ones given out by Dtac), were supposed to be water proof.

:o:D

In which case why was my mobile phone and a wad of change, floating around in the bag like a goldfish in a bowl. :D

Luckily my phone is pretty much indestructible, quick dry out in the sun and back to normal.

what make of tel is that sally I need a new one after songkran LOL

Another helpful tip for drying out a wet mobile.

Remove battery, gently dry with a cloth, then immerse phone in a sealed container filled with dry rice. Like those plastic Tupperware things.

The rice grains are hydrophilic (water attracting) and are too big to get into the keypad, etc.

Or you could do what I do to avoid this problem- don't take your phone anywhere near the moat area. :o

I was just sitting on Thapae Road near JJs when a British fellow of about 55 years old came striding up the street. He wasn't saying anything - just giving everyone the angry eye - like don't mess with me. He walked by a much older farang who squirted him with water without noticing his Charles Bronson act. He came back and started yelling and poking the old fellow who asked him to calm down as it was the last day of Songkran and didn't he know what to expect by now? He continued bellowing about kicking the old guys "arse", when up came a bunch more older farangs who had been watching and drenched him once again.

He went off down the street yelling and screaming and it seemed that everyone went out of their way to give him an extra bucketful all along the way.

Don't throw water anymore myself(perfer to watch and enjoy) :o BUT wish I had been near and had a big old bucket of ICE Cold water to douse him with, darn that would have made my good Songkran a GREAT Songkran :D:D:D

Well, wait a minute. I don't throw water on people who indicate they don't want to get wet, or when it's otherwise blatantly obvious that they're not participating.. it's not like there's a shortage on targets. That the guy indicated not wanting to join through nasty looks is unfortunate, but then again if I got all bothered about every ill mannered 'Falung' in this town then I wouldn't be in such a great mood all of the time. :o

post-64232-1239810877_thumb.jpg post-64232-1239810707_thumb.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

When I squirted all the people back here in Canada they just got annoyed and angry. I just told them it was songkran festival and everyone does it in Thailand. They didn't seem to understand it's supposed to be fun. :o:D:D

If you don't want to get wet during Songkran, stay at home!

This is my first Songkran in Thailand (Chiang Mai) ever. I participated for 4 days (as it really started on 11/04/2552 in CM). I really didn't want to deal with it yesterday, so I stayed home. I went back out today, for the last day, and finished it up with a wet bang. I had a blast, but I knew the deal- you go out during Songkran, and you get wet. This is not our (farangs') holiday. To feel like we are some how excluded from any excess of festival because we are farang is just arrogant.

During Songkran, I saw thousands, litteraly, of Thais being soaked and not a one complained. The only complaints I saw were from non-Thais. I'm really getting tired of pissing and moaning expats that feel like they should be treated differently here. We are, after all, guests in this country. I think a lot of things should be different in Thailand, but I accept it as a wonderful departure from my home country.

Why in the world would you want to live/ visit Thailand if you can't accept the differences that it has to offer. I agree that the differences aren't all good, but hey- there's always the option to leave. Why pick on an old man spashing you with water (farang or otherwise)? Guarantee that guy wouldn't had done the same to a Thai. Hmmmm..... wonder why that is? Guess he figured he could take out his aggressions out on someone who wouldn't want to fight back.

Bully go home and leave Thailand for those who can appreciate it!

LOL, serves the miserable old git right. I would have loved to have seen his face, or loss of it!!! :o

post-80143-1239825702.gif

I have to go to work and sit in an office for 10 hours...you think that is fun when you are soaking wet.....maybe this guy had a reason for not wanting to get wet...if somebody dosnt want to participate, dont squirt them....you cant always stay at home for 4 days...

This is how I dress when I want to stay warm and dry. It's not practical in a hot climate, so the alternative is to walk around almost naked and carry your clothes in a waterproof bag.

Ian_s_big_salmon_Em.jpg

If I had to work in an office during Songkran I would have a change of clothing at the office. I'm sure most offices would understand the need.

Tuesday later afternoon when all my "family friends" went home including my sweet tired wife, I made a b-line for Center Plaza to listen to the live band. All was fine and everyone was having fun, music was as suppose to be super loud. "jump Jump Jump" and "raise you hands in the air" were played along with a few Thai crowd favorites.

Then all of a sudden a white young skinny kid takes the microphone and starts rapping, rap, ether you hate it or like it or like me just go with the beat, very simple/basic music makes it easy to follow hearing the song for the first time. Someone in the crowd said he was someone famous, so, just courteous who he might have been. Being a kid a heart, I believe I was the ONLY TV member in the crowd, but I ws not looking for you with so much eye candy in view.

Typical Thai style seeing a advanced falong guy in a crowd I was treated with respect and kindness. I moved around in the crowd and everywhere I went a beer was handed to me to take a gulp, and arms where around me, even had one of the on stage dancing girls throw me a full cold beer. To think I could have been home dry, with a bowl of peanuts and a Pepsi watching CNN or BBC over and over. naaaaa....So, the question is anyone know who that falong skinny white kid might have been? Rag on me if you wish but I had a great time.

Edited by sendbaht

Sawasdee Bee Mai, Khrup,

This tail is so short might as well be a chihuahua : I went on a soy-milk-quest bicycle ride about 10:30pm wearing ready-to-get-soaked clothes : my neighborhood was as quiet as it gets. Even the locals hanging at the run-down restaurant-dive-cum-karaoke place I have to pass whose clientele is usually the same ten or so drunkards seemed restrained, not partying-on as usual.

Come to think of it the neighborhood has been exceptionally quiet this year : almost no firecrackers ! Even the dogs aren't having any nightly howling contests.

I pass one house near the Railway Station where some partying seems to be going on : a family affair, kids dancing.

Not one drop of water thrown on me. My favorite soy-filling-station (intersection of Thanon Charoenbrathet and Thanon Teevee) was sold out of the divine-bean-breast-milk; cycled down to the secondary market near Talat San Pak Hoi : the soy lady who often shows at 9:30PM : not there. The markets deserted. Had to settle for a top-up of LactaSoy Blue to get me through the night.

But, there was redemption : on my way I talked to two tookays, and frequently smelled night-blooming jasmine, while being ritually chased by the numerous small dogs who wait for my nightly advent. In India they call that night-blooming divinely scented flower "raat ki rani," "queen of the night."

Later today I will get my yearly blessing from our moo baan's Earth Mother, the one and only Mae Noi (age mid-80's or so). That's the real Songkraan magic for me.

~o:37;

My favorite soy-filling-station (intersection of Thanon Charoenbrathet and Thanon Teevee) was sold out of the divine-bean-breast-milk; cycled down to the secondary market near Talat San Pak Hoi : the soy lady who often shows at 9:30PM : not there. The markets deserted. Had to settle for a top-up of LactaSoy Blue to get me through the night.

Khun orangsunshine

How does brown rice milk compare to soy milk taste-wise? It has less protein, but some people say that is a good thing. :o

Yeah, how is the grumpy guys get all that good luck?

Amazing how late into the evenings the celebrating went on this year. We took the risk of taking the motorcycle out last night about 8 PM and the crowd near Thaphae Gate was dancing in the street with barely a car getting by. Lots of good tales from this year but most probably not fit for Thai Visa! Headed home sober, we were definitely outnumbered by those that were not!

One not so nice tale comes from my wife from Tuesday afternoon. She was helping her sister out selling grub near Chaiyaphum Rd. - Chang Moi Rd. intersection and she said there were about 10 guys chasing one guy who was scared for his life. One of the pack of guys smashed a bottle of beer over the hunted guy's head but he didn't go down, probably because some of the pack had knives and they wanted to seriously injure or even kill him. She said the police were standing idly by on the other side of the road while this was going on. The guys concerned were all Thai but she reckons the hunted guy could have been Burmese. I'm sure there were many more of these incidents that we won't hear about for fear of damaging the city's reputation, especially given the copious amounts of alcohol consumed and some of the dodgy characters that were hanging around near the moat partaking in it.

Just out of curiousity, did anyone else see this or any other episode of mob violence of the non-water-throwing variety?

Also, has the fatality list been published yet for drownings in the moat and motor accidents?

For the record, I participated in Songkran on Sunday and Monday and had lots of fun but it's not all fun and games for some.

The only news I noticed on the main site here is there were 220 deaths in Thailand in the first 4 days of the "holiday". Most deaths were attributed to the 2,658 road accidents. Apparently Chiang Rai had the worst accident rate. Sounds like lots of fun. Thais will never learn to accept the consequences of their own actions. They seem to live in a bubble time warp in which everything is in the now.

How does brown rice milk compare to soy milk taste-wise? It has less protein, but some people say that is a good thing. :o

Sawasdee Bee Mai, Khun Ulysses,

I don't think I've ever tasted brown rice milk, but I'd like to. Is there a source for fresh-made brown rice milk (not UHT) you know of here in Chiang Mai you could share ?

thanks, ~o:37;

One not so nice tale comes from my wife from Tuesday afternoon. She was helping her sister out selling grub near Chaiyaphum Rd. - Chang Moi Rd. intersection and she said there were about 10 guys chasing one guy who was scared for his life. One of the pack of guys smashed a bottle of beer over the hunted guy's head but he didn't go down, probably because some of the pack had knives and they wanted to seriously injure or even kill him. She said the police were standing idly by on the other side of the road while this was going on. The guys concerned were all Thai but she reckons the hunted guy could have been Burmese. I'm sure there were many more of these incidents that we won't hear about for fear of damaging the city's reputation, especially given the copious amounts of alcohol consumed and some of the dodgy characters that were hanging around near the moat partaking in it.

Just out of curiousity, did anyone else see this or any other episode of mob violence of the non-water-throwing variety?

Saw a very similiar incident to this during Songkran about 8 or 9 years ago at Sompet Market, lots of knives and a dead body at the end of it, the incident was sparked off by a drunken Thai bloke stealing some fruit of a vendors stall.

I'm afraid it is alcohol that spoils this holiday every year, not sure of a solution or if there is one.

ps I like a beer as much as anybody :o

My first Songkran in CM (6th in Thailand) started a day early with 2 over-excited middle-aged foreigners standing at the side of the road. They were each holding a handle of a large black bucket of water. The traffic was really heavy and pretty slow moving, but moving nonetheless. It was obvious they were looking for a fellow foreigner on a motorbike, thinking this would give them a much greater laugh than emptying their contents over the side of a pickup truck or a Thai who couldn't care less.

Low and behold, along came I on the Honda Wave in the one-way system :D One of these idiots was almost jumping up and down with excitement when he spotted me in the near distance! They came running over with their big bucket, dodging the traffic as they moved across to the third lane.

As they approached, me I yelled, 'Don't you F*cking Dare!'. They dared :o The force of the water threw me off my bike. As I lay on the tarmac with cut wrist and grazed elbow, one of the <deleted> (almost incoherent with laughter), had the audacity to offer me a hand up. I told them both to p*ss off and they skipped back to the side of the road patting each other on the back as they went!

Needless to say, I did a u-turn and headed back home to lick my wounds. Home is where I stayed for the duration of my first Songkran in Chiang Mai. Every year since have made a decision to not participate in what has become an over-boisterous event to say the least. In other words, I can't stand the heat of the kitchen so I get out of the country and think no more of it.

Maybe I'm just a miserable ole git who thinks that throwing water over people on moving motorbikes is outrageous, but who cares, I vote with my feet and leave those who love it, to it!

I must say, I'm surprised there aren't more street brawls at some of the extreme soakings which go on, and especially those dickheads who think it's hysterical to soak folks with ice water. What's next, clothes dyes and boiling water!!!!!

Rant over!

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

The only news I noticed on the main site here is there were 220 deaths in Thailand in the first 4 days of the "holiday". Most deaths were attributed to the 2,658 road accidents. Apparently Chiang Rai had the worst accident rate. Sounds like lots of fun. Thais will never learn to accept the consequences of their own actions. They seem to live in a bubble time warp in which everything is in the now.

Ian, it is very likely that this figure (220 fatalities) is way short of the actual mark. It has been said many times in the past that the realm has no real accurate means of gathering road death figures, in addition to which if you're alive on arrival at the hospital but succumb later you are not counted as a road death. Yer gotta die at the scene :o

Musn't deter tourists eh :D

This is my first Songkran in Thailand (Chiang Mai) ever. I participated for 4 days (as it really started on 11/04/2552 in CM). I really didn't want to deal with it yesterday, so I stayed home. I went back out today, for the last day, and finished it up with a wet bang. I had a blast, but I knew the deal- you go out during Songkran, and you get wet. This is not our (farangs') holiday. To feel like we are some how excluded from any excess of festival because we are farang is just arrogant.

During Songkran, I saw thousands, litteraly, of Thais being soaked and not a one complained. The only complaints I saw were from non-Thais. I'm really getting tired of pissing and moaning expats that feel like they should be treated differently here. We are, after all, guests in this country. I think a lot of things should be different in Thailand, but I accept it as a wonderful departure from my home country.

Why in the world would you want to live/ visit Thailand if you can't accept the differences that it has to offer. I agree that the differences aren't all good, but hey- there's always the option to leave. Why pick on an old man spashing you with water (farang or otherwise)? Guarantee that guy wouldn't had done the same to a Thai. Hmmmm..... wonder why that is? Guess he figured he could take out his aggressions out on someone who wouldn't want to fight back.

Obviously written by a tourist that is totally ignorant about how Songkran is celebrated outside of Kao San Road, Pattaya Beachroad, and Chiang Mai's moat area.

Sawasdee Bee Mai, Khrup,

This tail is so short might as well be a chihuahua : I went on a soy-milk-quest bicycle ride about 10:30pm wearing ready-to-get-soaked clothes : my neighborhood was as quiet as it gets. Even the locals hanging at the run-down restaurant-dive-cum-karaoke place I have to pass whose clientele is usually the same ten or so drunkards seemed restrained, not partying-on as usual.

Come to think of it the neighborhood has been exceptionally quiet this year : almost no firecrackers ! Even the dogs aren't having any nightly howling contests.

I pass one house near the Railway Station where some partying seems to be going on : a family affair, kids dancing.

Not one drop of water thrown on me. My favorite soy-filling-station (intersection of Thanon Charoenbrathet and Thanon Teevee) was sold out of the divine-bean-breast-milk; cycled down to the secondary market near Talat San Pak Hoi : the soy lady who often shows at 9:30PM : not there. The markets deserted. Had to settle for a top-up of LactaSoy Blue to get me through the night.

But, there was redemption : on my way I talked to two tookays, and frequently smelled night-blooming jasmine, while being ritually chased by the numerous small dogs who wait for my nightly advent. In India they call that night-blooming divinely scented flower "raat ki rani," "queen of the night."

Later today I will get my yearly blessing from our moo baan's Earth Mother, the one and only Mae Noi (age mid-80's or so). That's the real Songkraan magic for me.

~o:37;

Essence confirmed. Currently I live in a moo bahn in amphur Long. Noone throws water at anyone in the local sois - the water "throwing" is limited to pooring water from one bowl to another accompanied with some blessing and one-to-a-few 100 bath notes shifting hands. Then all glasses are filled with a lot of ice and Fanta or Chang or whatever. I've ridden my motorbike all over the area and although I several times passed water equipped canon stations, I didn't get a drop. The "staff" understood that I - as a foreigner - might possibly not appreciate being begifted with water blessings. If - in doubt- my giving full throttle convincingly prevented any water blessings. However, don't be fooled, in case you should venture up to Long's mainstreet - you're considered having asked for it (just like even Thais consider anything moving on the Chiang Mai moat streets as having asked for it).

Basically, as the majority of Thais understands pretty well but the majority of falangs doesn't understand the least --- the water "shared" at Songkran is supposed to be a BLESSING and not an excuse for some falang idiots to spoil several hours of someone else's day!

Edited by satiariyan

Poster boy for the farang who doesn't understand SK and pisses off Thais and farangs alike.

Obviously written by a tourist that is totally ignorant about how Songkran is celebrated outside of Kao San Road, Pattaya Beachroad, and Chiang Mai's moat area.

I've done it in Pattaya once and trust me, it's NOTHING like Chiang Mai. Never been on Khao San Road but I wouldn't think I'd like it there, too.

However I have also been in Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan and Khon Kaen for Songkran and there it IS pretty much like Chiang Mai, so lots of fun.. I'm not sure I understand how you think it 'should' be celebrated, but perhaps you live in a village where only the grannies are left in the afternoon, withall the kids and teenagers on 'mainstreet'. (Not saying that's wrong, but it would be a bit quieter so all the more power to you if you like it that way)

However, don't be fooled, in case you should venture up to Long's mainstreet - you're considered having asked for it (just like even Thais consider anything moving on the Chiang Mai moat streets as having asked for it).

So... I don't really see how it's different then. You could say exactly the same for Chiang Mai, with the moat and main roads being the 'main streets'.. I live a bit off the Third Ring and it's exactly the same. I went to markets and temples and visit family all without getting wet in a significant way. (I tend to play with and taunt the little kids, first acting like a big scary Farang (comes naturally) and then smiling and basically inviting a few squirts which dry up in minutes.. :o )

By the way:

If - in doubt- my giving full throttle convincingly prevented any water blessings.

That is ALWAYS a bad idea. I drive a car obviously but if you do need to be on a motorbike then trying to swerve or dodge water is really HIGHLY dangerous. Sure it's stupid to throw a big load on a moving motorbike, but that's not the choice you're faced with, the choice is if you want to get wet in 38 degree heat, or do you want to swerve and possible end up on the tarmac or -worse- hit someone else.

ESPECIALLY if you consider this party stupid then DONT swerve or try to avoid it. It's only water and it's 38 degrees out so chances are you're dry in 20 minutes. Again I'm not saying I blame you or anything for not getting the party, that's not the point; it's really just advice for next year. I think before next year's party I'll post a list of common safety rules.. With over 10 Songkrans under my belt I don't get hurt much nowadays.

Poster boy for the farang who doesn't understand SK and pisses off Thais and farangs alike.

I think I understand Songkran, and I think this was a person who enjoyed himself immensely. That IS allowed right, even when you're a first time tourist, to enjoy yourself when everyone else does? :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I just had a GREAT idea.. Next year should have at least one Songkran day that's for the very young kids & the elderly (at hart :D ) at some venue out of town where there's no major water throwing and just having a nice time with some good people, good food and a few beers.. Will include transportation in a mini-van with doors that lock, of course.

There the kids can play without being run over by motorcycle drivers trying to dodge a bucket, or fall into the moat and drown. And the elderly (at hart) can have a right honorable rant-a-thon on how Songkran isn't like people told them it was in 1972. (Even though I'm willing to bet money on it having being a pretty awesome party in 1972, too, and with similar complaints on how it's totally out of control now.. :o )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Couldn't make it this year, marooned in Oz, but spent a day last year in the back of a pick-up with 8 kids, an esky full of Chang and a 44 gallon drum of ice water driving in and around Pakchong. My hat got washed away early along with my sunscreen and any common sense I might have had. A week later, from the neck up I looked like a snake shedding it's skin. The kids had a great time peeling me. :o