Fish Pond Stocked With Blue Gills And Crappies.

haha

is it ecologically feasible to open a fishing pond stocked with blue gills and crappies here in thailand?

if it wasn't too expensive, I would pay to fish at a pond stocked with blue gills and crappies.

100 baht for a morning of fishing where I could keep up to 10 fish would be a good deal.

blue gills and crappies are so good eating.

is it ecologically feasible to open a fishing pond stocked with blue gills and crappies here in thailand?

if it wasn't too expensive, I would pay to fish at a pond stocked with blue gills and crappies.

100 baht for a morning of fishing where I could keep up to 10 fish would be a good deal.

blue gills and crappies are so good eating.

First they are North American fish and while bluegills may adjust to tropical temps,crappie are really a cool water fish that live in deep lakes and can be caught through the winters.

Also Thai authorities would be strict regarding import of foreign species as they can wreak havoc with the local flora and fauna.

Tilapia are an African cichlid that are the world's number 1 aquacultured fish and would do well in trop climes.

Personally rainbow trout and smallmouth bass are my favorite freshwater fish to catch.

you can do a search on google to get info on bluegills.

the following is one url with some info.

http://www.womenanglers.us/BlueGill.html

when I was a kid growing up in oregon, I went fishing often at this pond near my home. it was stocked with bluegills, and crappies.

boy! not only was it fun, but the fish that you caught were good eating.

I like thailand a lot, but someday I may go back to the ole pond. very peaceful lifestyle.

if only they had bluegills here........

I see people fishing at the canals near makkasan, but they seem to be catching these small fish that don't have much meat on them.

bangkok is such a big city. yet as far as I can see, except for the deep sea fishing, they don't have many places to go for recreational fishing.

I think it would be such a positive addition to the city if recreational fishing was available in the city.

just my humble opinion.

Forget bluegills and crappies, go native !

There's more than 700 freshwater fish species in Thailand (probably a lot more), so you won't be spoilt for choice. Some of the catfish get pretty big, are good to eat (not so 'muddy') and very hardy (try pangasius, or the the bottom dwelling eel-tailed catfish pla dook).

If you want something low-maintenance, tilapia are ubiquitous (though not native), breed rampantly, omnivorous and almost indistructable. You main problem will be thinning the little bastards out. If you want carnivores, try some sort of snakehead.

Forget bluegills and crappies, go native !

There's more than 700 freshwater fish species in Thailand (probably a lot more), so you won't be spoilt for choice. Some of the catfish get pretty big, are good to eat (not so 'muddy') and very hardy (try pangasius, or the the bottom dwelling eel-tailed catfish pla dook).

If you want something low-maintenance, tilapia are ubiquitous (though not native), breed rampantly, omnivorous and almost indistructable.  You main problem will be thinning the little bastards out.  If you want carnivores, try some sort of snakehead.

I'm game. fresh water fish? where? any near bangkok?

point me the way, and I'll give it a shot. I prefer pond fishing. are there any near bangkok? a reservoir would do if it is stocked with fish.

hey! I like that crappie website. thanks udon.

• 2 weeks later...