Fusion Food

thaigerd

For me fusion food/restaurants is just another trend like boutique hotels, a term with no definition. Fusion food is just a mish mash of styles neither one nor the other thus avoiding any direct criticism. If the Thai dish you order is not how how expect it well what do expect it is a product of indefinable fusion of cooking styles. When people say fusion food what exactly do they mean. Fusion means a melding together of two or more principles but rarely do you ever see the other half of the deal. All you see is Japanese Fusion restaurant, Japanese fused with what style?

Just my thoughts.

No good asking me what Thai dishes are fusionable as I like Thai dishes cooked Thai style.

For me fusion food/restaurants is just another trend like boutique hotels, a term with no definition. Fusion food is just a mish mash of styles neither one nor the other thus avoiding any direct criticism. If the Thai dish you order is not how how expect it well what do expect it is a product of indefinable fusion of cooking styles. When people say fusion food what exactly do they mean. Fusion means a melding together of two or more principles but rarely do you ever see the other half of the deal. All you see is Japanese Fusion restaurant, Japanese fused with what style?

Just my thoughts.

No good asking me what Thai dishes are fusionable as I like Thai dishes cooked Thai style.

I've seen just about every style of fusion cooking. Anyone ever eaten Korean pastrami burritos? (kogibbq.com - one of the hottest restaurants roach coaches in L.A.) Fusion can no longer be considered a trend, because it has been around for more than 30 years. The modern fusion style, to which you allude, was originally called "pacific rim cuisine" which melded the cooking method of Alice Waters (chef Chez Pennez, Berkeley) with the cuisines from Asia. One of my favorite fusion restaurants is Mayflower Cuisiner in Las Vegas (Sahara at Decatur). Fusion cooking has diversified further, and Mediterranean-Asian fusion became very popular in the 90's. As for Japanese fusion, one of the most successful chefs is Roy Yamaguchi who blends Japanese and Hawaiian styles. http://www.roysrestaurant.com/cuisine.asp

In Bangkok, I've only been to one fusion restaurant, Koi Bangkok, on Suk Soi 20. Koi is very good and still is somewhat unknown. I have begun experimenting with fusion cooking, and often mix Chinese and Thai styles. I hope to broaden this out by adding Vietnamese and Japanese, but I tend to stick with practicing traditional cuisines, rather than experimenting.

My experience of fusion food is that dishes from many styles and places are served on the one menu, and should compliment each other. So how does this sound? Noodle soup to start, then some sushi and veg tempura followed by a green curry. Simple ice cream to finish.

I'd have thought Thai food that's lighter (or made lighter to fit) and fragrant and fresh would be perfect for fusion.

My experience of fusion food is that dishes from many styles and places are served on the one menu, and should compliment each other. So how does this sound? Noodle soup to start, then some sushi and veg tempura followed by a green curry. Simple ice cream to finish.

I'd have thought Thai food that's lighter (or made lighter to fit) and fragrant and fresh would be perfect for fusion.

Thanks for your ideas Suegha!

That what you are saying would be a fushion menu, I would like it as well :o .

What I mean as "fusion":

A yam neua with a good imported beef as a starter

or

a pasta dish with a tom yam spiced tomato sauce

or

a sticky rice mousse with mango sauce

some more ideas?

Gerd

if the chef has a genuine knowledge of both cuisines and is creative enough...interesting dishes can result from fusion(ing)... however, if the fusion is based of lack of ingredients, shortcuts and following up trends...i find it to be boring at the best case.

Thanks for your ideas Suegha!

That what you are saying would be a fushion menu, I would like it as well :o .

What I mean as "fusion":

A yam neua with a good imported beef as a starter

or

a pasta dish with a tom yam spiced tomato sauce

or

a sticky rice mousse with mango sauce

some more ideas?

Gerd

Excellent Gerd, I'll give it some more thought and get back.

ps I really like the pasta idea, maybe spaghetti would work well?

I recently had the Fried battered banana served with Ice Cream. That is fusion isn't it....

PS I recently saw a book which might be of interest to you regarding Thai fusion. I'll look for it.

Edited by Hadrian1