Australian Consular Representative In Chiang Mai

WaiWai

I seem to recall some recent suggestion that there is an Australian Consular representative in Chiang Mai.

Yes, I really did do a search of the hallowed chambers of this forum, all by myself. The most recent posts on this topic appear to be those in a thread initiated by Rob Roy (or similar) in 2007 or so. However, when I click to see more, all I get is a perky message saying, "Oops! This link appears to be broken."

So, any recent sightings of such a creature?

Perhaps even a phone number, email address or some mist-shrouded location at which to linger at the witching hour, documents and freshly blessed dollar bills in hand ...?

Edited by WaiWai

Entering the magic words australian consulatechiangmai into google gave this amazing result.

Australia - Australian Consulate, Chiang Mai Address: 165, Sirimungklajarn Road Tambon Suthep Chiang Mai 50200. Tel: (053) 221-083 Fax: (053) 219-726 ...

Harrry Houdiiini :o !

Thanks. I can try calling that number tomorrow.

I ask because whether there really is a person with Aus Consular powers here or not has been a topic of some dispute. Until fairly recently, it seemed to be agreed that there was no such person any more, though there had been in the past (though references to this person/place remained). Then, in the last few months or so, I believe I heard that there was someone here now.

So I am wondering if anyone has any definite & up to date information.

Edited by WaiWai

My google search for "Australian Consul Chiang Mai" turns up # 1 as

Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai, Thailand

236 Chiangmai Doi Saket Road

Amphur Sansai

Chiang Mai 50210

Thailand

Telephone

66 053 492 480

Fax

66 053 492 426

Email

[email protected]

Which is indeed correct as the Honoray Oz Consul in Cnx here is Mike Walther & a bloody good bloke he is too!

I sense that native restlessness has put thoughts of insurrection into certain people's minds :o .

We Awstraylians have too much respect for authority to entertain such thoughts.

Thank you, all, for the information about Mr. Walther.

(I don't know if it's something about Mr Walther's name, or briefly communing online with fellow Awstraylians, or it's late or ... something .. but one is never quite sure if one should say thank you or not :D ).

Edited by WaiWai

Agreed David. And I still owe the old bugger a beer.

Aha, I confess I got my free fill a couple of weeks ago at the Ambassador's reception at the Shangrila. All compliments of Mike. A truly wonderful kind sincere gentleman.

Blinky I think the last time we nailed the consul was outside that bar next to the Mad Dog & what a night that was!!

Yes it was.

Michael was born a German but migrated to Oz many years ago.

Another former Australian Honorary Consul was Hilary Brown, she was a Kiwi. Then Max, her former husband took over the post and he was from Oz. Max is dead now.

My google search for "Australian Consul Chiang Mai" turns up # 1 as

Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai, Thailand

236 Chiangmai Doi Saket Road

Amphur Sansai

Chiang Mai 50210

Thailand

Telephone

66 053 492 480

Fax

66 053 492 426

Email

[email protected]

Which is indeed correct as the Honoray Oz Consul in Cnx here is Mike Walther & a bloody good bloke he is too!

What powers does he have and what can he actually do for us aussies? I want to get an aussie passport for my son.

What powers does he have and what can he actually do for us aussies? I want to get an aussie passport for my son.

Passport comes from Oz via the embassy in Bkk.

Best to check direct with the Consul in Bkk at the embassy.

Steve Candotti is the Consul General

Tracy Wunder is the Consul

You can download forms & info from the DFAT website.

Passport comes from Oz via the embassy in Bkk.

Best to check direct with the Consul in Bkk at the embassy.

Steve Candotti is the Consul General

Tracy Wunder is the Consul

You can download forms & info from the DFAT website.

Yep did that but the problem I have is finding an Australian citizen who is not related and has personally known him for 12 months. I little hard given he is just 15 months born in Thai and can't get an Aussie passport for this reason even tho he is an aussie citizen by decent. Spoke to the thai woman at the embassy and he needs an aussie to sign saying he knows him. Thai staff at the Australian embassy not very helpful would be helpful if they hired some australians to assist us aussies. Get more assistance from thai immigration than from the thai staff at the aussie embassy.

I seem to recall some recent suggestion that there is an Australian Consular representative in Chiang Mai.

Yes, I really did do a search of the hallowed chambers of this forum, all by myself. The most recent posts on this topic appear to be those in a thread initiated by Rob Roy (or similar) in 2007 or so. However, when I click to see more, all I get is a perky message saying, "Oops! This link appears to be broken."

So, any recent sightings of such a creature?

Perhaps even a phone number, email address or some mist-shrouded location at which to linger at the witching hour, documents and freshly blessed dollar bills in hand ...?

The guy on Doi Saket Rd is an Honorary consul he can't help you with visas, passports etc. All this you must go to BKK for. The Official consulate on Siri Manghkalachan Rd is long gone. I lived on this road in 2002-2006. It is now occupied by a company called CITEC. I don't know if this company is related to CITEC Australia. CITEC is the Queensland Government's primary information and communication technology (ICT) service provider. I am digressing.

Anyway I kept the phone number of the Honorary Consul on Doi Saket RD in my Phone contacts. I hoped he would be a good contact to have if I ever got into trouble in emergency or police etc. Not that I ever did. But if I ever did get into trouble I assumed he would probably arrive before anybody from BKK did. I never met him but spoke to him on the phone once and he seemed a nice guy.

Also I don't know how long you have been there. But FYI before Thai Air moved back into there renovated building inside the moat at Chang Puak they had a temporary office on the 4th floor at the Airport Business Park on Mahidol Rd. One day I went to see them for some ticketing and accidently got off on the 3rd floor. Lo and Behold there was an office of the Australian Federal Police.

Have Fun I did :o

Edited by chiangmai4121

Yep did that but the problem I have is finding an Australian citizen who is not related and has personally known him for 12 months. I little hard given he is just 15 months born in Thai and can't get an Aussie passport for this reason even tho he is an aussie citizen by decent.

When overseas, you can also have a non-citizen sign the form if they hold a position of authority. From the Embassy's website: "If you require a non-Australian citizen to act as a guarantor, acceptable occupations are: Accountants, Barristers, Solicitors, Clerk of Courts, Bank Managers, Dentists, Judges, Parliamentarians, Police Officers, Postal Managers, Registered Medical Practitioners."

Ask the doctor who delivered your son to sign the form to verify who the child is (or whichever doctor you take the child to for his vaccinations/check-ups). Alternatively, does your wife know the local village policeman?

I agree that it would be great to know exactly what Mr Walther can and cannot do (for us :D ). Some of you appear to know him -- perhaps you could encourage him to sign up here and answer questions!

before Thai Air moved back into there renovated building inside the moat at Chang Puak they had a temporary office on the 4th floor at the Airport Business Park on Mahidol Rd. One day I went to see them for some ticketing and accidently got off on the 3rd floor. Lo and Behold there was an office of the Australian Federal Police.

:o Crikeys! Really?!

I agree that it would be great to know exactly what Mr Walther can and cannot do (for us :D ). Some of you appear to know him -- perhaps you could encourage him to sign up here and answer questions!
before Thai Air moved back into there renovated building inside the moat at Chang Puak they had a temporary office on the 4th floor at the Airport Business Park on Mahidol Rd. One day I went to see them for some ticketing and accidently got off on the 3rd floor. Lo and Behold there was an office of the Australian Federal Police.

:o Crikeys! Really?!

Wai Wai

Methinks you might need to do a bit of research yourself, instead of expecting people to spoon feed you all the time.

You've been a member (& Cnx resident?) since 2006, but don’t appear to be able suss out even the basics.

Yeah, Mike is a top bloke & some of us know him personally, but why don’t you make the effort to phone or email him to get some info from the horse’s mouth.

The role of an Honorary Consul is an UNPAID position = the people who do it don’t get paid a single baht, so IMHO don’t owe anyone anything.

Some of them get the position by default, but they all have good hearts & try to help those in need, especially people who make the effort to contact them for help / advice / info.

I think that most of them end up with the job out of genuine desire to to help their fellow countrymen in a foreign country should need be, but in the process they have to deal with a lot of shit, some of it quite unnecessary & very much self inflicted. It is easy to sympathize with any honorary consul – it can be a miserable unpaid job with little thanks, & mainly whines / complaints from most people. (Hilary Brown was absolutely fantastic & like a Mum to many of us for years!)

BTW the Aust Fed Police closed their office in Cnx several months ago, with the change of govt & new cut backs for overseas funding. From memory over the years there have been 5 changes of staff here.

Yep did that but the problem I have is finding an Australian citizen who is not related and has personally known him for 12 months. I little hard given he is just 15 months born in Thai and can't get an Aussie passport for this reason even tho he is an aussie citizen by decent.

When overseas, you can also have a non-citizen sign the form if they hold a position of authority. From the Embassy's website: "If you require a non-Australian citizen to act as a guarantor, acceptable occupations are: Accountants, Barristers, Solicitors, Clerk of Courts, Bank Managers, Dentists, Judges, Parliamentarians, Police Officers, Postal Managers, Registered Medical Practitioners."

Ask the doctor who delivered your son to sign the form to verify who the child is (or whichever doctor you take the child to for his vaccinations/check-ups). Alternatively, does your wife know the local village policeman?

Did that and filled out all the forms but the thai woman at the australian embassy said it had to be Australian resident and got all moody with me when I tried to show her on the form specific for overseas resident. When I asked if I could speak to an aussie she said no aussies work there and threatened to call security if I did not leave. So I then tried to get a passport for him when I went back to Australia and they tell me it has to be done at the embassie in BKK. Just hitting brick walls.

• 3 weeks later...

Did that and filled out all the forms but the thai woman at the australian embassy said it had to be Australian resident and got all moody with me when I tried to show her on the form specific for overseas resident. When I asked if I could speak to an aussie she said no aussies work there and threatened to call security if I did not leave. So I then tried to get a passport for him when I went back to Australia and they tell me it has to be done at the embassie in BKK. Just hitting brick walls.

I got the thai doctor who delivered my daughter to sign. I suggest you ring the embassy or email them and tell them that the lady at the front desk is giving you the wrong info. There are aussies that work there. My daughter ( by descent like you) was only about 2 months old when I applied and successfully obtained a passport for her. I dealt with Thai staff and had no problems whatsoever

Good Luck