Share Dsl Internet

bonsaimax

Be careful.

If you read the small print, TRUE limits you to one computer, and can cut off your service if they find you abusing that.

Blue tooth has a very limited range.

You will be better off buying a good router/network hub, which offers network address translation (NAT) and will hide you transgressions from TRUE.

Then connect the other computer with a network cable.

If you read the small print, TRUE limits you to one computer, and can cut off your service if they find you abusing that.

You will be better off buying a good router/network hub, which offers network address translation (NAT) and will hide you transgressions from TRUE.

Then connect the other computer with a network cable.

Astral is right - TRUE won't let you login twice. When I first had TRUE installed, I was authenticating from the desktop PC (had to click 'connect' each time I wanted to start the connection). I tried plugging in my laptop to a hub (i.e. sharing the connection) but whenever I tried logging in with the laptop, TRUE wouldn't recognise it without disconnecting the desktop first.

Got a router, put the login settings there and all works fine now! :o

Is it possible to share TRUE DSL by bluetooth? My laptop has the capability, but the desktop does not.

Will bluetooth affect connection speed?

Cheers! :o

There is no technical reason why you cannot share a DSL connection with multiple computers using a router, wifi, bluetooth, etc. What you can do is buy one of those cheap USB to bluetooth dongles that look like thumb drives and plug it in your desktop with the DSL connection. Then you can allow the bluetooth laptop to connect to the desktop and share the connection.

I have XP SP2 and have been experimenting getting a desktop and laptop to connect to each other for file sharing (DSL sharing would be step 2). The machines do see each other through the bluetooth link, but for the life of me haven't been able to share a drive like I can with ethernet for some reason.

Is it possible to share TRUE DSL by bluetooth? My laptop has the capability, but the desktop does not.

Will bluetooth affect connection speed?

You can do this if you get a dongle for your desktop. I've played with it a few times but found it a bit twitchy and unreliable, and gave up. There's a tutorial on it here. Speed I dunno, I'm never quite sure whether the rated speed is the actual speed or not, anyway, I think the Bluetooth speed is limited to a bit over 100Kb/s (?).

Better off getting a wireless access point and a wifi cards if possible. They're pretty cheap now, and worth every satang. Plus you'll be able to hook up to access points on the road.

Edited by Crushdepth