Global House Is Back

cm das

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I thought I'd give a heads up that Global House, the huge home supply store on the 2nd ring road, reopened 3 days ago. They are far from fully stocked but it's nice to see them back on their feet after last year's fire. And for those like me who are in the process of building a house, it's great to have the additional selection & competition they provide.

Thats great news. In building my teak house, other thangetting the bulk of teak from tearing down two houses, I used GH for a lot of the teak trim, like for inside and outside corners and for kitchen and bathroom supplies. I'm not living in LOS/Bosang for the next couple of years but did notice last month on visit that the Homemart at the corner of the 3rd ring road and highway 1006 was coming along. Has it opened yet?

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I thought I'd give a heads up that Global House, the huge home supply store on the 2nd ring road, reopened 3 days ago. They are far from fully stocked but it's nice to see them back on their feet after last year's fire. And for those like me who are in the process of building a house, it's great to have the additional selection & competition they provide.

Where specifically are they located? thanks.

Where specifically are they located? thanks.

Coming from Chiangmai south on the Hang Dong road, turn left at the 4 way light intersection where Big C is at. About 6 kms and on the left hand side of the road.

post-566-1241069226_thumb.jpg

I don't know the name of the road but it connects Hong Dong road with highway 11. If you head north on HD road, turn left at the intersection just past the Big C dept. store. Go maybe five minutes and it is on the left side of the road.

Thanks for the update, good news. I believe it was mentioned earlier about a June opening, so perhaps by then stocking will be complete.

Guy who worked in the hand tools dept (transfered to Home Pro) told me it'd be about 8 months around October time and I thought he was being a bit optimistic, but 6 months is even better. Great place Global, but a bit tough-going on a humid day unless you position yourself near a big fan on occasion.

There's also a big soon to be opening home store on the Outer, between the Mae Jo and Mae Rim roads.

I don't know the name of the road but it connects Hong Dong road with highway 11. If you head north on HD road, turn left at the intersection just past the Big C dept. store. Go maybe five minutes and it is on the left side of the road.

If you are heading north and turn left, won't you be heading west? Probably a right turn to go east, and at the Big C intersection, not past it? The left side of the road going effectively east is correct (see carlosacao's map). If you are going south, then the left turn applies (again to go east).

Edited by noise

That would be correct. Directions are not my forte. I meant driving on Hang Dong road from central Chiang Mai going towards ban-tawai (sp). In that case, you would take a left at Big C. I don't think many people will be coming from the other direction.

If there are three ring roads. Global House is on the second ring. Limited access, big dividing medians, underpasses, high speed

... nice entry, nearby u-turn, plenty of underpasses and easy, high-speed access :o

That particular ring road is also called Highway 108.

Highway 108 is a N-S road to Hang Dong. The ring road where Global House is located (which is really the inner ring road of two, but many people think of the Superhighway as the first ring road inside it, as Peace Blondie's comment refers, even though the Superhighway actually crosses outside both ring roads eventually) must be the best road in CM, in terms of width and speed, with underpasses at all junctions and three lanes each way. In spite of being such a good road, its official designation is Chiang Mai Rural Road (!) 3029. However, the actual number hardly matters, since road signs never show it for some reason. The only signs which show the number are on the median, and are too small to read easily at the prevailing speed.

Just out of interest, I saw some of the intersections are called "Saman Samakkee".. Could that be the official Thai name for that road? For example the intersection with the Canal Road is called "Yaek Mae Hia Saman Samakee", quite a mouth full.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just out of interest, I saw some of the intersections are called "Saman Samakkee".. Could that be the official Thai name for that road? For example the intersection with the Canal Road is called "Yaek Mae Hia Saman Samakee", quite a mouth full.

My understanding is that "saman samakee" means something like "make united". Mae Hia is the name of the stream. So, the name of the junction with the Canal Road is Mae Hia Junction. I am told that "saman samakee" is added to make the name sound nice. Similarly, the name of the junction with the Doi Saket Rd (118) means "Mae Khaw Junction Clean and Clear". The clean and clear has been added to prettify the name. Unfortunately, the Mae Khaw river is neither particularly clean or clear.

Neil

Hey Tywais. I appreciate the map of the areas I live/ have lived in, but I do believe you've placed Global House waaay far to the east of where it actually is. You have it past the CM-Lamphun Rd, and to where the Inner Ring Road is curving up towards Doi Saket already. I see what I believe is the GH construction, and it's more like at 5:30 in the pic, and that's more like between dropping down to the Inner Ring Road directly between the blue square and the word Nong Hoi. You'll see it there as a small patch of dirt to the N. of the rd.

I know these rds well, and was just by GH today driving around. It is definitely b4 the CM-Lmphn Rd. Way b4. And that's good news to those who would take Hang Dong to Big C Hmai and then take a left. After you cross the river it's just a cpl kilos up on the left after a cpl strings of nighttime beer bars.

Hey Tywais. I appreciate the map of the areas I live/ have lived in, but I do believe you've placed Global House waaay far to the east of where it actually is.

Thanks for the heads up. The maps are so old I had problems recognizing landmarks. I do now remember it was closer to 6 kms and not 10. I updated my map above with the change, could you verify it is correct now?