Farang Pricing

klikster

Don't you get sick of it?

My last exposure was at the Toyota dealer in the north end of Hua Hin. Brake light wouldn't go off. Saw some broken bits of plastic on the driver side floorboard and figured something cracked.

Okay, so I got 2 cups of coffee and a young woman kept walking around serving glasses of cold water. Obviously a distraction from the farang pricing scheme that was about to come.

Okay, so the entire visit took less than 2 hours. My service adviser said they would need to order the part .. 3-4 days .. and asked for a deposit of Bt 770.

Then the twist. The technician explained to the service rep that the switch was really okay and just the plastic bracket broken .. which he had replaced. So the service rep returned my Bt 770 .. but asked for Bt 71!!!!

I know dam_n well they would have charged a Thai only Bt 39!!

Will it never cease?

Let's be fair -- name a country where it is NOT open season on foreigners! Wherever you come from, do you honestly think that locals & foreigners pay the same prices every time? I remember travelling on a train in China back in the 1980s with my British-born Chinese colleague & a local translator/guide. We were occupying the same seats but were each paying different fares, as locals pay less than 'overseas Chinese' who pay less than foreigners. Personally, I can think of plenty of places where the Bt770 would have been pocketed/split by the staff & you'd have been told to collect your untouched vehicle a bit later!

Yes, it stinks but such is the world. When our own homelands don't practice such financial xenophobia, maybe Thailand & elsewhere will do likewise -- but don't hold your breath! :o

Let's be fair -- name a country where it is NOT open season on foreigners! Wherever you come from, do you honestly think that locals & foreigners pay the same prices every time? I remember travelling on a train in China back in the 1980s with my British-born Chinese colleague & a local translator/guide. We were occupying the same seats but were each paying different fares, as locals pay less than 'overseas Chinese' who pay less than foreigners. Personally, I can think of plenty of places where the Bt770 would have been pocketed/split by the staff & you'd have been told to collect your untouched vehicle a bit later!

Yes, it stinks but such is the world. When our own homelands don't practice such financial xenophobia, maybe Thailand & elsewhere will do likewise -- but don't hold your breath! :o

:D

A recent post in the Bangkok forum discussed this at length, the majority of people are in the opinion this is an unfair practice and stay well away from such places...dont go there again, go somewhere else. I find it strange that this would happen at a franchise,never had a problem with Honda or Isuzu in 5 years, in fact the opposite, they prefer to do work cheaper as long as I do not require a receipt which suits me fine as the guarantee is up after 3 years.How does the OP know that a Thai person would be charged only 39 Baht against his 71 Baht?

A recent post in the Bangkok forum discussed this at length, the majority of people are in the opinion this is an unfair practice and stay well away from such places...dont go there again, go somewhere else. I find it strange that this would happen at a franchise,never had a problem with Honda or Isuzu in 5 years, in fact the opposite, they prefer to do work cheaper as long as I do not require a receipt which suits me fine as the guarantee is up after 3 years.How does the OP know that a Thai person would be charged only 39 Baht against his 71 Baht?

I think the op was making a joke about (or a point against) all the whining about double pricing. Surly he wasn't really complaining about the possibility of being overcharged 32 baht for auto service... :)

I think the op was making a joke about (or a point against) all the whining about double pricing. Surly he wasn't really complaining about the possibility of being overcharged 32 baht for auto service... :)

OH. I think he was whinging and whining about 32 baht. But as they all will tell you it's not about the money it's the princple!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yep! :D

My last exposure was at the Toyota dealer in the north end of Hua Hin. Brake light wouldn't go off. Saw some broken bits of plastic on the driver side floorboard and figured something cracked.

Okay, so I got 2 cups of coffee and a young woman kept walking around serving glasses of cold water. Obviously a distraction from the farang pricing scheme that was about to come.

Okay, so the entire visit took less than 2 hours. My service adviser said they would need to order the part .. 3-4 days .. and asked for a deposit of Bt 770.

Then the twist. The technician explained to the service rep that the switch was really okay and just the plastic bracket broken .. which he had replaced. So the service rep returned my Bt 770 .. but asked for Bt 71!!!!

Will it never cease?

sounds like they were honest. You need to relax ,your getting upset over $1.00 usd :)

Will it never cease?

sounds like they were honest. You need to relax ,your getting upset over $1.00 usd :D

*sigh* :)

I don't think I have ever been treated unfairly or paid anymore than anyone else would pay, it's at the point I don't have to ask for a discount they just give it to me but I guess it is the people I do business with. I also think it depends how you carry yourself if you go in speaking English and return a Sawadee with a "hi" they may treat you like a tourist and that is something I have witnessed on more than one occasion.

Will it never cease?

:D So you got 2 cups of coffee and a plastic bracket for Baht 71, what a ripp off :):D Write to the PM.

Edited by khundon

Will it never cease?

Pesonally rather than moaning about the 42 baht you reckon you have been overcharged for, I think you should be posting about the honesty of the dealer in question.

Rather than give you the 770baht back and then asking for 71baht, he could have thanked you, given back you keys and pocketed your 770baht that you had originally given him.

If you feel that aggrieved, on your reciept should be a part number of the part they supplied. Armed with that, ring up another dealer or the Toyota head office and see what price they give you. If you have in fact been overcharged, go back to the dealer with the information that you have and try and get your 42 baht back.

The one thing that you have to bear in mind that the recommended list price of any article (where ever you are in the world) is just that (recommended). The dealer in essence can charge what they like for it.

Some dealers I have worked for in Australia have sliding scales for loading prices, with minor items attracting a bigger increase than larger dollar items. This is not aimed at the overseas clients, but everyone.

I am sure that by the end of your quest to recover you 42baht (that you only think you have been overcharged on, but have no evidence) you will have spent more than you are recovering and really is a futile exercise.

From what you have said, I feel the service adviser done the 100% honest thing by you in the 1st instance and should be applauded for his honesty.