One way or return tix

Here Today

I am coming with my 13 yr. old daughter for a year (hopefully) and don't really want to buy a return ticket as we are not sure how long the $ will last.  We might go up to the UK where I can work if our money runs out (we are from Canada).  Had originally planned to take a TEFL course and teach english but am not sure if my kid would be safe wandering around by herself.  We are coming on a double entry tourist visa - good for min. of 4 months & can be extended.  Have heard it is ok to fly 1 way if you have a visa, but when I phoned Korean Airlines they said I have to have an onward ticket out of Thailand.  Not sure if this is true???  Another thing I have looked into is doing volunteer work for one of the big social service orgs, they might have something my kid could do also (she is on correspondence school already) and some provide room and board.

I moved here from Korea in the late 90's and flew Korean Air. They said the same thing to me and I ignored them, bought the ticket and took the chance. No one on the thai side asked to look at a return/ onward ticket. I haven't been out of Thailand for well over a year so I am not sure if this has changed? Maybe with the upcoming APEC meeting and the post that 15 britons have been detained for on immigration offences it would be a gamble. Anyone else have any views?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info - got the return tickets anyway because I am travelling with a kid - 1 yr. open.  I could always buy return tickets up to the UK if we decide to go up there I guess.   Have sold our house & we are packing our stuff up for storage, having a huge garage sale, sending stuff to the auction etc.  Really a hassle, have a 5 bdrm. house full of stuff to get rid of.

• 2 weeks later...