Reliable English Speaking Lawyer In Isaan

ALFREDO

I want to discuss a problem with a lawyer in Isaan, does anybody know lawyers who are reliable and I could communicate with, English or German.

The field I looking for-I gave loan to a Thai person, have papers which verify that, but that person shows no intention to give anything back,

plays the time card and waits, if and what i am doing.

I am in contact with Isaan lawyers, but it seems they are in the moment very busy, or have not enough manpower,

looks like somebody left the office there unexpected.

Thank you.

Edited by ALFREDO

-Dave the dude-

Sorry, i edited it, after I saw the post from -mario 2008.

-Mario 2008-

On my Austrian embassy Website I did not find something useful and sure they will not come up with a lawyer in Isaan!

By the way, i have an offer from a Phuket law office (Falang, partly Austrian, German, English managed) I know.

But the way up and down to Isaan-Phuket, Flights, Hotel and the daily charge, oh thats not cheap. A session for 100.000.- possible plus!

By the way, i have an offer from a Phuket law office (Falang, partly Austrian, German, English managed) I know.

But the way up and down to Isaan-Phuket, Flights, Hotel and the daily charge, oh thats not cheap. A session for 100.000.- possible plus!

It would be easier&cheaper to 'sell the debt' to your local Mafia (Chinese/Russian/Thai whatever):D

Or at least tell your Debtor thats what you have done :)

Dave

I want to discuss a problem with a lawyer in Isaan, does anybody know lawyers who are reliable and I could communicate with, English or German.

The field I looking for-I gave loan to a Thai person, have papers which verify that, but that person shows no intention to give anything back,

I am in contact with Isaan lawyers, but it seems they are in the moment very busy, or have not enough manpower,

Thank you.

Save your money 'ALFREDO'. I am in a similar position, I have the land papers and hand written IOU's from the wanke_r I loaned to. I saw a lawyer in Korat and got no where, even though she promised the earth. I managed to find another lawyer, a very nice man, probably one of about 5 Thai men I've found to be honest & decent, since living here. There are some out there. Anyway he consulted my wife and I for just over an hour. At the end he just said "I'm sorry, but there's no chance of getting your money back, even with the paperwork". For that consultation he refused to be paid a fee. As we were leaving he said "don't bother getting a second opinion, another lawyer will take you on, but he won't get you any money back". I have no reason to disbelieve him and I've accepted his advice and learned my lesson.

From my readings and understanding, I believe anyone can claim to be a lawyer and give legal advice in Thailand. They won't tell you that they're not real lawyer, but give you the impression that they are. The difference between a real lawyer and a law advisor is that the real lawyer is the only one that can represent you in court. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I'm correct.

Thank you.

Another way to try and get your money back ALFREDO is to find a 'Reng Rat Nee' company. They're like a debt collecting agency with attitude. I've tried to find one, but as of yet, nothing. I believe they're located mainly in BKK. The government was trying to outlaw them a few years ago, but I believe they still operate.

Find a friendly local cop to put some pressure on him. It might take a little tea money but they can really scare the crap out of people if they want to.

Good idea but make sure he's NOT friendly or local

Dave

A simple letter from a lawyer, setting out the terms of the loan, and requesting immediate repayment, or ongoing legal action usually does the trick. Your debtor must be made aware that if it goes to court and you win, they must pay all YOUR legal costs, expenses, court costs as well as their legal costs.

But beware. If the loan contract specifies an interest rate higher than the maximum permitted by Thai law, then you will almost certainly lose. I believe the annual maximum interest rate is around 15-18%. If that is the case, then I would suggest a lawyers letter as above, but not following through if the debtor ignores it.

Sorry to say 'Ubonjoe', I done that, it never worked

Sorry to say 'Prakonchai Nick', I done your suggestion as well. Didn't work, just added to my costs. A lawyers letter was costing me 1,000 Baht a time and the receipiant just ignored every one.

On taking legal action, first you must ensure that the third party has funds to pay you, if you eventually find justice and win, which I doubt. The defaulter will transfer his assets into another member of the family, usually, if he's smart.

I've been trying to get my money back for 4 years now, and I paid out more money on top in trying. I haven't give up, as I still have the defaulter's land paper, and there will come a time when he will need them. That day I sit and wait for.

If, 'ALFREDO', you have the land paper of the defaulter, then go to the land registry and notify them that you have it. This is just in case the defaulter tries to obtain another set. That in itself is a criminal act, knowing the original still exists.

Edited by coventry

-Ubonjoe-

Hello, good to have you back, some here thought you already going under 1,50-1,80 deep or got burned. Until now I think, I did not see why you had been offline so long.

-coventry-

and the others, that sounds not good.

But can coventry-what said that lawyer, or somebody tell me, why it is so difficult or a problem to get your money back,

when the person who you gave the money has enough assets and you have written and signed statements which proof that that is true?

Where is the legal problem here?

In my case there is already a small Police man involved, but from the opponent side, (My Ex-girlfriends new boyfriend)

but until now has not intervened.

Since everyone seems to think there is little you can do, may I suggest you engage in some daily harassment of the debtor, preferably when it will prove most embarrassing to him.
This is exactly what a 'Reng Rat Nee' firm will do. For a fee they will have people stand outside the debters house, day and night, shouting out to the debter to pay up what he owes. They will also go to their place of work and do the same in front of their work colleges. I have placed the question, on this forum, as to the where abouts of one of these firms. I drew a blank, even though they do exist.

-Ubonjoe-

Hello, good to have you back, some here thought you already going under 1,50-1,80 deep or got burned. Until now I think, I did not see why you had been offline so long.

-coventry-

and the others, that sounds not good.

But can coventry-what said that lawyer, or somebody tell me, why it is so difficult or a problem to get your money back,

when the person who you gave the money has enough assets and you have written and signed statements which proof that that is true?

Where is the legal problem here?

In my case there is already a small Police man involved, but from the opponent side, (My Ex-girlfriends new boyfriend)

but until now has not intervened.

For me ALFREDO, the problem is that the land paper I have, belongs to the debters mother. She stood guarentee on her son's behalf. Unfortunately the lady died just after standing guarantee, and the paper is still in her name. As for the IOU that I have, it ain't worth the paper it's written on if the debter has seconded all his assets away. As per the debter in my case.

There is only one poster that I read of, on TV, that won a case over a Thai woman that owed him money, but I still don't think he got his money. I'll try and find the thread.

Edited by coventry

Since everyone seems to think there is little you can do, may I suggest you engage in some daily harassment of the debtor, preferably when it will prove most embarrassing to him.
This is exactly what a 'Reng Rat Nee' firm will do. For a fee they will have people stand outside the debters house, day and night, shouting out to the debter to pay up what he owes. They will also go to their place of work and do the same in front of their work colleges. I have placed the question, on this forum, as to the where abouts of one of these firms. I drew a blank, even though they do exist.

Why pay someone to do what the OP and his family can do themselves?

Why pay someone to do what the OP and his family can do themselves?

You try to get your wife's family to do it. I tried and I could get one to volunteer even though I offered good money, it's a 'face' thing. That's why these firms exist, albeit covertly. Edited by coventry

On the odd occasion that debtors have been slow in repaying,and my wife has spoken to them on 2/3 occasions without success, she sends word that if the money is not repaid the following day, I will make a visit, and if necessary embarrass them in front of friends and family. This has always had the desired effect. In fact one woman was so concerned, that she sent the money round the next morning by courier at 5AM!

On the odd occasion that debtors have been slow in repaying,and my wife has spoken to them on 2/3 occasions without success, she sends word that if the money is not repaid the following day, I will make a visit, and if necessary embarrass them in front of friends and family. This has always had the desired effect. In fact one woman was so concerned, that she sent the money round the next morning by courier at 5AM!

Nick

I am too owed money from my wifes uncle, who lives in our village. Its been 2 F***king years now and I am very p!ssed off about it.

Is it Ok if I tell him you will make a visit and embarrass him. I hope that does the trick cos I have tried every other threat immaginable.

Thanks a bunch

:)

Dave

Never mind about 'Prakhonchai nick' coming round. If anyone can come round here and get the 200,000 that's owed to me I'll give them half on delivery to me, guarenteed. Better to have half than nothing. There should be a warning at every point of entry into Thailand saying "Do not lend Thais money. You have been warned."

Edited by coventry

-coventry-

thanks for the Thread with G54, i will have a read.

From the lawyer I asked for nothing to see or hear, so I think not exist in Isaan.

The Isaan lawyers in Korat who advertise here in Thaivisa are also not very pleased until now to get to work with my problem.

Thanks to all of you for your comments, -prakhonchai nick- you must be a wild man,

if we make a deal to get my money back, take a gunproof west with you.

As I wrote my Ex GF is now living with a Police officer, guns in the house for sure!

Nick

I am too owed money from my wifes uncle, who lives in our village. Its been 2 F***king years now and I am very p!ssed off about it.

Is it Ok if I tell him you will make a visit and embarrass him. I hope that does the trick cos I have tried every other threat immaginable.

Thanks a bunch

Dave

More than happy to assist. However my fees are high, then there is travelling allowance, and my need for first class transportation - your helicoptor should suffice though!

Nick.

ALFREDO there is a English speaking lawyer in Korat, but I forget her last name and work place. Her first name is Rena and she's married to a farang. To find her I would ask in Isaan Lawyers as I'm sure they would tell you her location, if they're too busy. She has a practice not too far away from them. I did use her myself with regards to my money problem, but felt she wasn't working hard enough. May be she can help you as your case may be different to mine. If I can find her business card I'll get back to you. Good luck.

Hi

Rightly or wrongly, I assume most people on here are faily sensible/resourceful & clever.

The thing that I do not understand about repayment of ferang debts in Thailand is; we all hear about the Chinese businessmen who loan money and take over plots of Thai land following non payment. There is a prime plot opposite my own house that has laid empty for years. I know the Thai family who last owned (&lost) it.

How do these people call up the debt and successfully reposses land&/or building?

Do we all sell our debts to the Chinese??

Dave

Hi

Rightly or wrongly, I assume most people on here are faily sensible/resourceful & clever.

The thing that I do not understand about repayment of ferang debts in Thailand is; we all hear about the Chinese businessmen who loan money and take over plots of Thai land following non payment. There is a prime plot opposite my own house that has laid empty for years. I know the Thai family who last owned (&lost) it.

How do these people call up the debt and successfully reposses land&/or building?

Dave

Sell debts to the Chinese could be a good soloution.

Thailand, as you know is basically run by Thai-Chinese. these guys have citizenship, rights to buy sell land set up debt management companies and plenty more resources and methods.

This is why immigration are so strict with us 'round eyes' - They've been taken over by the chinese once already and don't want it to happen again.

:D

Hi

Dave

Land sitting idle, or being worked, is still money in the bank. The thing about these so called 'Chinese Business men' (Loan Sharks) is that they know the law better that a lawyer or policeman. It's their job. They cover their <deleted> by employing others to do their dirty work, and borrowers know these people are ruthless. The police are probably on their payroll as well for added security.

To sell your debt to a 'Chinese Business man' isn't as easy as it sounds. He ain't going to buy it unless he can be 110% sure he's going to get his money with the minimum of fuss. A local loan shark will pobably know the defaulter personally and he'll know if the defaulter has the ability to pay. Whereby the local stupid, I'm one, farang who thinks he's clever gets turned over by an illiterate rice farmer. Who's the clever one ?

Edited by coventry

With hind sight what I should have done is not took land papers as security. Most people here have gold, in some form or other, and that is what I should have taken. That is after ensuring the gold cost more than the loan. No payment on pay day, no gold returned.

The first thing I was told when settling here was "never lend money or tools to a Thai. They'll default on the money and they'll break the tools." How I wish I'd listened. But I thought I was clever and doing my bit for the community in helping get their crops planted. I'm sorry to say but I struggle to speak well of Thais.

With hind sight what I should have done is not took land papers as security. Most people here have gold, in some form or other, and that is what I should have taken. That is after ensuring the gold cost more than the loan. No payment on pay day, no gold returned.

The first thing I was told when settling here was "never lend money or tools to a Thai. They'll default on the money and they'll break the tools." How I wish I'd listened. But I thought I was clever and doing my bit for the community in helping get their crops planted. I'm sorry to say but I struggle to speak well of Thais.

Hi Coventry

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I hope these threads help someone NOT to lend money. Like you, I wish I hadn't.

I think your idea of gold as security is a good one BTW if it is an option.

Dave