Anyone For Tennis?

chiangmaioldhand

Now that the hot season is in full swing a few of our regular players head back to cooler climates. So, we could do with a few more players at the moment.

We play at the Gymkhana Club which is right in town near the Kawilla army barracks. There is a small group playing singles on Monday from 4.30pm (we book both courts and play a round robin format) and Wednesday and Friday is mixed doubles from about 4 til 6.30. Mostly expats, but all are welcome.

If you are a reasonable player, send me a message or just turn up on the evening.

Does this invitation include riff raff, children, a couple of old ThaiVisa members and me who sadly only made it to no 3 on your list.

I wonder if this club has a no riff raff sign at the entrance.

Not for me, I`ll leave it for the old boys network.

Edited by sassienie

Does this invitation include riff raff, children, a couple of old ThaiVisa members and me who sadly only made it to no 3 on your list.

Thanks for moving it back up the list. Much appreciated.

As regards to your question no, no , no and definitely no.

But to be fair, it's only because of their/your inabilities at tennis. :)

As I said before , you shouldn't be upset about being number 3, it's purely chronological. I'm sure if it was based on 'merit' you could be number one. You appear to have the potential.

Thanks for moving it back up the list. Much appreciated.

As regards to your question no, no , no and definitely no.

But to be fair, it's only because of their/your inabilities at tennis. :D

As I said before , you shouldn't be upset about being number 3, it's purely chronological. I'm sure if it was based on 'merit' you could be number one. You appear to have the potential.

:):D:D

"k" you could get a job writing Abhisit's speeches :D

I'll come if you are serving free water between sets :)

When I saw Maerim Man making regular posts I thought it was you, initially , then I thought you'd moved house. Very confusing. Are you related by any chance?

Free water is available but on a self-service basis (no wonder they're going bust). The only serving I do is on the courts.

Back to tennis .... the thought of you in shorts is getting me all excited. See you Friday, 4pm-ish. I'll bring the camera.

Have you got your own balls? Maybe your girlfriend has some, if she plays. Did I mention we play mixed doubles too?   

When I saw Maerim Man making regular posts I thought it was you, initially , then I thought you'd moved house. Very confusing. Are you related by any chance?

No relation. just another cheap imitation :D Sorry I won't be able to make it as the the gout is acting up :)

Hello,

I am a good tennis player... Right now I play 4 - 5 times a week... 2 hours a day at the 700 YEAR stadium. I am looking for a partner to play with me 1 or 2 days a week. No beginners please.

PM me if you are interested.

RE: Singles and doubles listed above... how good are the players? I want to play with people that are good or better so that I can improve my skills.

--A

Hello,

I am a good tennis player... Right now I play 4 - 5 times a week... 2 hours a day at the 700 YEAR stadium. I am looking for a partner to play with me 1 or 2 days a week. No beginners please.

RE: Singles and doubles listed above... how good are the players? I want to play with people that are good or better so that I can improve my skills.

--A

An Aussie guy called Steve who played at 700yr stadium but couldn't find good competitive games came to join us and seems happy about the switch.

Singles on Monday is a reasonable standard. I am looking for maybe another game of singles on Wednesday.

Tuesday and Friday is a mixed bag of players with some better than others. The only women that play are quite good players. If your wife is starting out in tennis she could maybe get some coaching, which is also available. So long as she isn't too bad she could play in the mixed doubles.

I suggest you come along on Monday to see about singles and try Tuesday with the wife. We do play tonight - if you have the time come along.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

--A

An Aussie guy called Steve who played at 700yr stadium but couldn't find good competitive games came to join us and seems happy about the switch.

Singles on Monday is a reasonable standard. I am looking for maybe another game of singles on Wednesday.

Tuesday and Friday is a mixed bag of players with some better than others. The only women that play are quite good players. If your wife is starting out in tennis she could maybe get some coaching, which is also available. So long as she isn't too bad she could play in the mixed doubles.

I suggest you come along on Monday to see about singles and try Tuesday with the wife. We do play tonight - if you have the time come along.

Hi all you tennis players,

My name is Mike and I am a 50 year old Aussie, we are arriving in Chiang Mai on the 4/7/09 and staying at the

Imperial initially. We are checking out Chiang Mai to possibly Live.

I am a good tennis player and very keen to find some tennis in Chiang Mai. I also play squash and used to coach it.

So, if someone is interested to see if I could give them a good hit, I would appreciate the opportunity. I play sport

as much as possible and believe in 'use it or loose it.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Are you still in need of players?

I'm a young aussie, living and working here for awhile. I havn't played a huge amount in the last 5 years or so (been playing cricket mainly) but back when I was 14-16 I played quite a few night comps at a somewhat reasonable level, and had a fair bit of tennis coaching when I was a little tacker. I'm by no means a pro but not a beginer either.

Let me know if you would like me to come along one time, although I think i'd preffer to stick to doubles until I gain a bit of confidence after not having played in so long.

Also if you do need a player would you have a spare racket I could borrow for the first couple of weeks, just to make sure its going to work out and stuff before I buy one myself?

[Tried to send PM but he seemed to be on the banned list? Whats that about.]

He is banned. I know his restaurant - PM me if you want it - but his real name escapes me. Perhaps, someone else can help you.

Kevin Hunt, normally I wouldn't give a TV members real name but Kevin did originally post under this name.

Shame he was banned as I always enjoyed his posts and he's not a bad old stick :)

He is banned. I know his restaurant - PM me if you want it - but his real name escapes me. Perhaps, someone else can help you.

Kevin Hunt, normally I wouldn't give a TV members real name but Kevin did originally post under this name.

Shame he was banned as I always enjoyed his posts and he's not a bad old stick :)

A good egg, as eggs go. He is still making the back-hand overhead cross-court passes on club night's at the Gymkhana.

Wednesday and Friday at 4.30. Freddy123 would be more than welcome, I'm sure. Maybe he's not ready for Monday singles but given time....

A good egg, as eggs go. He is still making the back-hand overhead cross-court passes on club night's at the Gymkhana.

Wednesday and Friday at 4.30. Freddy123 would be more than welcome, I'm sure. Maybe he's not ready for Monday singles but given time....

I've been reliably informed that it's Tuesday and Friday.

Still looking for more players?

Like Freddy up there, I haven't played for years but I used to play competition as a teenager.

I live near carrefour, so i'm reasonably local. If its tuesday and friday I can make it (I have class wednesday afternoon).

Thanks!

Yes, a few more would be welcome. They have a knocker there if you want to get your eye in beforehand.

Otherwise, Tuesday and Friday at 4.00 to 4.30 until 6ish. Freddy123 came along tonight and didn't do too bad considering he hasn't played for a while. Why don't you two get together for a knock-up? They have a knock-up wall too.