Camera Help

Hi,

I'm seriously thinking of jumping in the DSLR game. I'll have a chance at the weekend to visit MBK, and wonder if any of you can recommend a half decent camera vendor in the area.

I'm currently eyeing either an Olympus 450D, or a Pentax K2000 - both come with a two lens kit, and come in at around the same price. These are two i have found online, but really fancy a little hands on before i spend that much cash.

Cheers in advance.

Most people I know that get into the DSLR, including myself go for the Canon options, maybe you should have a look again at what they have on offer. I have used the Rebel(EOS Kiss) for a few yrs now and have nothing but good to say about it, including a greater selection of available lenses here in Thailand..

Oz

Hi,

I'm currently eyeing either an Olympus 450D, or a Pentax K2000 - both come with a two lens kit, and come in at around the same price. These are two i have found online, but really fancy a little hands on before i spend that much cash.

Cheers in advance.

Hi 'phazey',

Olympus 450D ?????

The "Olympus Intros E-450 D-SLR"

post-3770-1241530328_thumb.jpg

Olympus has announced a new entry-level (est. street price is C$649.99 with kit lens) D-SLR in the model E-450. The new D-SLR builds on the features of the 10 MP model E-420, which it closely resembles, in four principal ways.

One, in common with the recently released E-30 and E-620, the E-450 offers art filters for added creativity without using post production software. Three art filters, Pop Art, Pin Hole, and Soft Focus, are on the menu here.

The new camera also improves on the E-420 with a 2.7-inch LCD capable of greater luminance (brightness), contrast, and off-axis viewing.

A third upgrade is the incorporation of Olympus' TruePic III+ Image Processor, that is said to provide better gradation of tones; and it also lowers image noise by one step to reduce graininess in images shot at higher ISO.

It's also faster at processing images: the E-450 can capture eight RAW images in continuous shooting mode (the E-420 could ‘only' muster six); and it can shoot up to 3.5 frames per second in sequential shooting mode.

The Olympus E-450 will be available in July 2009 in a kit that includes an ED 14-42mm f3.5/5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens, USB cable, video cable, Li-Ion battery and charger, shoulder strap, and software.

Are you sure you do not mean this camera or the ' Canon 450D'.

Yours truly,

Kan google as well, Win :)

Thanks for the replies gents.

Got the *Canon* 450D in the end (cheers Mr Kan) - so far so good.

I fancied the Pentax as it has a HDR option, one of my little loves - The Canon lacks this mode, but with a little photoshop help, and a personal touch - i think i can get the results i'd like.

A few pictures i took last night, whilst playing with the ISO settings really made me think this is a good investment - "woah!" was my first thought. Glad i made the investment.

Hi 'phazey', :D

Good to hear that you are "woah!" with your new *Canon* 450D.

Please visit us again and post some of your photos in our "Evaluate my photo" forum if you so wish. :D

Yours, very truly happy for you :)

Kan Win :D

I have the Canon 40D the bigger brother,

and I do not think you will regret your decision. :)

If you use the JPG settings you may need to tweak the menu settings for colour/saturation etc

before you get the optimum results that you need.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I am in similar position and wanted some help/advise.

I have only ever used film cameras (years ago) and compact digitals (firstly Canon S2IS and now Panasonic Lumix TZ3).

I still have both of these and in my opinion both are good cameras but I feel I'm now ready to get a DSLR.

I'll be purchasing it in Australia (home) but have no idea what to look for or where to start.

I don't have a massive budget and want to get the best camera for my money, something I won't want to upgrade in 6 months.

Can I please have suggestions, lets say up to AUD$2500 for now.

Also have only just started using Picasa 3 (freebie download) but really want to get a decent program and learn to use it properly.

Any assistance and advise would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan the noobie

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I am in similar position and wanted some help/advise.

I have only ever used film cameras (years ago) and compact digitals (firstly Canon S2IS and now Panasonic Lumix TZ3).

I still have both of these and in my opinion both are good cameras but I feel I'm now ready to get a DSLR.

I'll be purchasing it in Australia (home) but have no idea what to look for or where to start.

I don't have a massive budget and want to get the best camera for my money, something I won't want to upgrade in 6 months.

Can I please have suggestions, lets say up to AUD$2500 for now.

Also have only just started using Picasa 3 (freebie download) but really want to get a decent program and learn to use it properly.

Any assistance and advise would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan the noobie

For your budget I believe you should be able to get the Canon 5D Mk 1. Full frame sensor and takes the best damned images I've ever seen. I have one and I'm NOT "upgrading" (?) or even thinking about it. Look for a low usage used one. Should leave you change for some decent lenses.

Lenses are the key. Start slowly, get the 50mm f1.4. Tack sharp and the "normal" lens. Learn to see with this lens. Later you may want to go wider/longer. Avoid zooms for now.

Later look at the 85mm f1.8, fabulous and cheap.

I walk around with just the above and a 24mm lens and that covers all my needs.

Shoot in RAW mode.

Buy Adobe Lightroom V2. - Great Raw convertor and has all the tools you'll need.

Well I should learn to leave my wallet at home!!

Went to have a browse today and check out equipment and prices.

Long story short, I now also have a Canon 450D with 2 lenses!! Also invested in a tripod, decent bag, filters and Photoshop Elements 7.

The camera is a display model and the last one they had so picked it up with all the gear WELL under my budget.

Now.... just gotta work out how to use it!!! LOL

Well I should learn to leave my wallet at home!!

Went to have a browse today and check out equipment and prices.

Long story short, I now also have a Canon 450D with 2 lenses!! Also invested in a tripod, decent bag, filters and Photoshop Elements 7.

The camera is a display model and the last one they had so picked it up with all the gear WELL under my budget.

Now.... just gotta work out how to use it!!! LOL

Well done - let us know if you need help.

Look forward to a few sample snaps in due course

Have fun :)

I agree about Lightroom, great program, both for cataloguing as well as processing. I suggest you don't spend too much time learning Elements, but Buy Lightroom, It will save you time in the long run.

And use Raw files, if you have lightroom you'll only need to save Raw, don't need to record any JPG anymore, Raw gives you better control over your lightlevel and color.

I've not got into the editing or touching up yet, but did just install Aperture - will play around tonite.

Oh, and I did my first HDR image this morning - I finally read the manual last night and learnt about AEB and multi-exposures. Nothing I'd post online, but now just waiting for the right time.

Cheers.

Been tinkering with the 450D whenever I get time, haven't produced anthing spectacular yet but here is a quick pic of my 2 boys.

I did intend for Storm (the dog at the back) to be out of focus, just playing to see what the camera will do.

When I take a Whoah! photo I'll post it up for evaluation to get advice on how to improve. :)

post-67096-1242536708_thumb.jpg

Hi

Why not consider a Nikon DSLR? Nikon's are generally more intuitive to use and feel better in hand. The photo quality is superb and I have never met anyone disappointed with purchasing one. The D90 is a great camera, the cheaper d50 is also excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
lenses, lenses, lenses, the body is not as important as the lenses

i have never seen such rubbish on suggestions for selecting a camera......

you all sound like the marketing department of Nikon / Canon, you certainly are good at quoting their spin......

thank Buddha for someone with some sense on this subject.....

all cameras in a given price range are much he same these days, most of the components are made by the same company

its the lens that matters 100% - anything with a Carl Zeiss or Schnider lens is always your best option

and of course you will alwyas pay about 1/3 more for the 'Name' i e Nikon, Canon ets

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Why not consider a Nikon DSLR? Nikon's are generally more intuitive to use and feel better in hand. The photo quality is superb and I have never met anyone disappointed with purchasing one. The D90 is a great camera, the cheaper d50 is also excellent.

They're also made in Thailand interestingly enough. Shame you can't buy them cheaply there.

I feel sure quaility or speed has to suffer on a lens with such a long zoom range?

Everything is a compromise......but I'm sure his combo will beat my Fuji S100fs for speed and quality.....yet I am very happy with the results i get.... and because i use the zoom a lot for people shots I tend often to use 400ASA

check 'em out.... http://www.flickr.com/people/28361002@N07/

I feel sure quaility or speed has to suffer on a lens with such a long zoom range?

Everything is a compromise......but I'm sure his combo will beat my Fuji S100fs for speed and quality.....yet I am very happy with the results i get.... and because i use the zoom a lot for people shots I tend often to use 400ASA

check 'em out.... http://www.flickr.com/people/28361002@N07/

You've got a good eye and a good collection there friend - well done. It was a pleasure looking at the images.

I looked at Fabianfred's site and the "interesting" section.

It reminded me of a couple of months ago I went to Silver Beach near Lamai in Samui and happened upon a group of (foreigner) parents and their kids in the shallows playing. One girl, maybe three years old, was naked as was her playmate. I raised my camera to take a photo of what I thought was a "cute" scene and one of the mothers started to give me a very harsh look, and I thought, "She's right. As innocent as this is, I can't take photos of young kids in today's social climate -- clothed or otherwise. They'll think I'm some pervert."

I left without the photo.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with taking photos of anything. I find photos of kids on a par with photos of dogs, or chickens.

Start slowly, get the 50mm f1.4.

Am I right in thinking that this isn't the same thing as your film camera lens size inasmuch as with the digital camera -- and not digital zoom -- with the actual zoom, the lens is actually something like 28-85 or something? Do you know what I mean? You don't need a "zoom" lens, do you?

I want one lens that will act as a 28-85.

I looked at Fabianfred's site and the "interesting" section.

It reminded me of a couple of months ago I went to Silver Beach near Lamai in Samui and happened upon a group of (foreigner) parents and their kids in the shallows playing. One girl, maybe three years old, was naked as was her playmate. I raised my camera to take a photo of what I thought was a "cute" scene and one of the mothers started to give me a very harsh look, and I thought, "She's right. As innocent as this is, I can't take photos of young kids in today's social climate -- clothed or otherwise. They'll think I'm some pervert."

I left without the photo.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with taking photos of anything. I find photos of kids on a par with photos of dogs, or chickens.

Start slowly, get the 50mm f1.4.

Am I right in thinking that this isn't the same thing as your film camera lens size inasmuch as with the digital camera -- and not digital zoom -- with the actual zoom, the lens is actually something like 28-85 or something? Do you know what I mean? You don't need a "zoom" lens, do you?

I want one lens that will act as a 28-85.

A 50mm is the full frame size. On a cropped sensor (1.3 or 1.6) the focal length will equate to either 65mm or 80mm respectively

Now, if you have a Canon system I have a very nice 28-80 f2.8/4 L zoom (EF lens) for sale - super sharp, flexible and of course Canons "L" range

p.m. me if Interested

For your budget I believe you should be able to get the Canon 5D Mk 1. Full frame sensor and takes the best damned images I've ever seen. I have one and I'm NOT "upgrading" (?) or even thinking about it. Look for a low usage used one. Should leave you change for some decent lenses.

I second this but is a new unit still available anywhere?

BTW I thought you've got Mk2, got rid of it already? :)