Usb To Lan Connector

a269652

The LAN port on my machine became faulty during a recent electrical storm, so instead of an expensive repair (laptop), I plan to opt for one of those USB to LAN connectors

usbtolanadaptorgqq6.jpg

Question: Is this likely to make my Internet connection noticeably slower? I was told not in the shop.

Thanks.

USB2 should be fast enough for the internet connection. IF you are transfering files over your local network it will be slower but for the internet it wont make a difference.

Unless you got >480 Mb/s internet you won't be slowed down. That's the max for USB 2.0. As far as file transfers on the LAN; I've never really seen over ~25 MB/s (200 Mb/s) so that wouldn't even slow that down. Granted if you're using gigabit it could be slowed down PC-PC, but per my experience it won't even be an issue. This is on computer to NAS transfers.

A lot will depend on what USB 2.0 mode the converter operates at, USB 2.0 slow, USB 2.0 full speed or USB 2.0 high speed. There is also overhead in USB for error correction, handshake, bus latency plus other software/hardware overhead so may only get 60% - 70% true throughput. Below is a link to a connection speed chart for various protocols. Check the spec on the USB-ethernet adapter to see if it shows the true throughput (probably won't have it though).

Connection speed charts

So if running USB high speed of 60MB/s you may get around 280Mb/s which is of course fine for a 100Mb/s ethernet connection. :)

Interesting site!

I thought so too. I knew all protocols will have latencies & overhead (hard/soft) and always wondered what they were for the different protocols. May be useful for those wondering why their subscribed service speeds don't match reality (of course just one of many variables).