Celta Course In Uk Or Thailand? Again

Well thanks a lot some people for getting my other thread CLOSED

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Celta-Uk-Tha...2190.html&st=25

SO now with this NEW thread I want to ask to this that I emailed these people about a course and about accommodation whilst doing the course and its ove a week now with no reply.

This does not give me confidence in doing a course with them.

Accommodation isn't provided but they can point you in the direction of places to suit any budget. This is Bangkok you know! Bear in mind you need to stay somewhere that has a suitable area, table, lighting etc. for you to do your homework!

http://www.eccthai.com/

Yes. Fully accredited.

ECC is right opposite Centralworld and only a shortish walk to MBK. Most of the accommodation they recommend is right opposite MBK.

Thais often do not answer emails; Brits usually answer. I encountered something smilar - maybe with a CELTA provider - and chose a more responsive course provider.

Entered in error Sorry!

Edited by ZOOKA

Thais often do not answer emails; Brits usually answer. I encountered something smilar - maybe with a CELTA provider - and chose a more responsive course provider.

Well Eccthai look one of the best and was suggested so I suppose I have to visit in person.

Well Eccthai look one of the best and was suggested so I suppose I have to visit in person.

I found ECC to be quite efficient, very responsive and they always answered my emails. Maybe you could call them? All the staff speak English. Assuming you're not yet in Thailand, you'll probably have to do a short telephone interview anyway.

There's a lot of information about accommodation on their website; I really wouldn't worry about it. Come out a week or two early to acclimatise and prepare and just book a hotel within your budget. Then spend a morning at ECC talking to them and look for a hotel near the course centre with adequate facilities for studying. There are plenty to suit all budgets.

I'm sorry your original thread was closed. CELTA is a great course for someone who has never taught before and it should give you a lot of confidence to start your TEFL career (if that's what you want to do!). If you're just looking for something to pay your way while you're in Thailand, there are cheaper and possibly more suitable alternatives, particularly courses relating specifically to teaching kids. Since doing my CELTA at ECC in 2005, I've spent 3 years teaching kids and teenagers, plus some adults and corporate work, and now I only teach IELTS and corporate and earn a nice salary. My CELTA training was invaluable and a requirement for my current job.

Good luck!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

CELTA is a great course for someone who has never taught before and it should give you a lot of confidence to start your TEFL career (if that's what you want to do!).

How about someone who has lots of foreign language teaching experience already - but not English? I am a British national and have taught foreign languages in international schools for 15 years. I do have a fair bit of English teaching experience too, but only as a volunteer. Presumably, if I want to get a decent paid job teaching English, I will still have to get a CELTA?

CELTA is a great course for someone who has never taught before and it should give you a lot of confidence to start your TEFL career (if that's what you want to do!).

How about someone who has lots of foreign language teaching experience already - but not English? I am a British national and have taught foreign languages in international schools for 15 years. I do have a fair bit of English teaching experience too, but only as a volunteer. Presumably, if I want to get a decent paid job teaching English, I will still have to get a CELTA?

No, I doubt it.

No, I doubt it.

I agree with PeaceBlondie (for once :) ) - 15 years teaching experience would seem to obviate the need for any TEFL qualification. I'd also say that experienced teachers may well struggle with the CELTA as its methodology is very prescribed and there is very little opportunity to do anything that is not the "CELTA way". Fine for new or inexperienced teachers but it drove a teacher, with 5 years experience, who was on my course, crazy and he dropped out!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

I found ECC to be quite efficient, very responsive and they always answered my emails. Maybe you could call them? All the staff speak English. Assuming you're not yet in Thailand, you'll probably have to do a short telephone interview anyway.

There's a lot of information about accommodation on their website; I really wouldn't worry about it. Come out a week or two early to acclimatise and prepare and just book a hotel within your budget. Then spend a morning at ECC talking to them and look for a hotel near the course centre with adequate facilities for studying. There are plenty to suit all budgets.

I'm sorry your original thread was closed. CELTA is a great course for someone who has never taught before and it should give you a lot of confidence to start your TEFL career (if that's what you want to do!). If you're just looking for something to pay your way while you're in Thailand, there are cheaper and possibly more suitable alternatives, particularly courses relating specifically to teaching kids. Since doing my CELTA at ECC in 2005, I've spent 3 years teaching kids and teenagers, plus some adults and corporate work, and now I only teach IELTS and corporate and earn a nice salary. My CELTA training was invaluable and a requirement for my current job.

Good luck!

I had to return from Thailand in Jan 008 fro being there for nine months spent all my remortgage money on living (and some ladies :)) and got depression returning to UK.

Been unemployed for nine months believe me nothing in my area for what I can do not many qualifications for myself I am afraid just the aveage Jo.Cannot sell my house its a ridiculously depressing situation I am trapped in.

I need something to keep me in Asia and so the CELTA I think can do it.

Edited by whitethai

Good luck!

what are the courses that are more suitable to teachng kids? thanks

Why exactly did it drive him crazy do you know?

No, I doubt it.

I agree with PeaceBlondie (for once :) ) - 15 years teaching experience would seem to obviate the need for any TEFL qualification. I'd also say that experienced teachers may well struggle with the CELTA as its methodology is very prescribed and there is very little opportunity to do anything that is not the "CELTA way". Fine for new or inexperienced teachers but it drove a teacher, with 5 years experience, who was on my course, crazy and he dropped out!

Why exactly did it drive him crazy do you know?

No, I doubt it.

He had his own methods of teaching which conflicted with the CELTA doctrine. He was also unable to take the "constructive" criticism from the other trainees at the post-teaching practice feedback sessions.

I have a native-speaking friend without a degree, but with CELTA, DELTA, and over 20 years of teaching English in Europe. Much better qualified than most Thai TEFL farang. But in Thailand, hiring Thais knew nothing about CELTA, DELTA or other Greek fraternities. Sad. My friend burnt out of teaching here.

Well

My local training centre said that I can get a CELTA course funded for me free to do and hopefully pass BUT ONLY if I can get someone to guarantee me a job at the end of it.

This saves me £UK1200 for the course.

My catch22 dliemma so can anyone do this or guide me where to get someone?

I would probably need a letter via email or proper posted letter.

P.S I do not have a degree but somebody told me you can get jobs in China with just a CELTA.

I dont suppose I can teach with just CELTA in Thailand and get pre-offer?

Thanks so much for any help.

Bit urgent

I already mentioned the CELTA-DELTA IELTS examiner with 20 years of teaching EFL, who swears she never met a Thai employer who knew what CELTA was.

But that is nothing to do with me asking schools on here to be guarantor or sponsor.

Does not matter if they offer me job at the end or not all I need is official letter or email to get my course funded.

There were several people in my CELTA course that have been teaching for years but were taking the class because their schools were going to pay them a much better salary after they finished it... I don't think it would hurt even for those who have experience. Also, even the experienced teachers that took the course REALLY showed amazing improvement by the end of it.

I just posted this, but I took mine at International House Bangkok because ECC was full already... I really enjoyed the variety of instructors they had there, and I thoroughly enjoyed the variety of students we got to student teach as well.

Almost forgot... I was going to mention to NOT take advice from the school on where to stay while you are here. Most of the people that took the school's advice for my course were paying twice as much per month as I pay for my apartment, and some of them were staying 10x further away than I live to the school.

There were several people in my CELTA course that have been teaching for years but were taking the class because their schools were going to pay them a much better salary after they finished it... I don't think it would hurt even for those who have experience. Also, even the experienced teachers that took the course REALLY showed amazing improvement by the end of it.

I just posted this, but I took mine at International House Bangkok because ECC was full already... I really enjoyed the variety of instructors they had there, and I thoroughly enjoyed the variety of students we got to student teach as well.

Whats the website of that one?

I am going to ask them if they can guarantor me

Edited by whitethai

Almost forgot... I was going to mention to NOT take advice from the school on where to stay while you are here. Most of the people that took the school's advice for my course were paying twice as much per month as I pay for my apartment, and some of them were staying 10x further away than I live to the school.

Any accommodation suggestions please?

I don't know if I'm allowed to post links... but if you do a google search for international house bangkok celta, they come up first.

As for accomodations it depends what you want to pay, you can send me a private message if you need some help. I live about a 20 minute walk from where that celta course is (less than 5 minutes on a motorbike) and there's a nice building near me that you could rent for a month that is much less than what some of my friends in that course paid (who were all the way across the river!!).

I don't know if I'm allowed to post links... but if you do a google search for international house bangkok celta, they come up first.

As for accomodations it depends what you want to pay, you can send me a private message if you need some help. I live about a 20 minute walk from where that celta course is (less than 5 minutes on a motorbike) and there's a nice building near me that you could rent for a month that is much less than what some of my friends in that course paid (who were all the way across the river!!).

VERY GOOD of you to offer help if I need it.

I send an email asking the deed so now have to wait see if they reply :))

But it will be very strange if I get there again as last time I was at Mabun Krong shopping centre two years ago with a Thai girl went to movies etc. at Christmas time and I felt safe with her she could get me around.

Being alone I get lost.

Oh and I want to teach English ?:D)))

Are you talking about International house Bangkok where you live near to?

Edited by whitethai

And, you posted that on Monday.. so the weekend doesn't really count as two days.. Thais take days off too you know. :)

Yeah but we know they are not going to reply and of course as to this dated post they have not.

So this little bit of light I had to leave UK is fading again fast just because employers could not be bothered to answer an email or help slightly with being guarantor and I know employers read this thread.

Rionoir I never forget helpful people like you.

Edited by Ijustwannateach
No links, please - IJWT

What is it with these people and educational places in Thailand?

Cant they even send an email saying sorry no?

And, you posted that on Monday.. so the weekend doesn't really count as two days.. Thais take days off too you know. :)

Yeah but we know they are not going to reply and of course as to this dated post they have not.

So this little bit of light I had to leave UK is fading again fast just because employers could not be bothered to answer an email or help slightly with being guarantor and I know employers read this thread.

Rionoir I never forget helpful people like you.

I had trouble with contacting CELTA in Thailand, and used a local TEFL course instead.

You would think they would guarantor me and get the course fee when I di dthe course with them but obviously they do not want or need money.

Not to mention helping some

one out with a new career and leaving UK.

Edited by whitethai