Buying A Plot Of Land In Lampun

I'm in the very early stages of planning to build a house in Lampun. My gf's extended family owns a bunch of land there, and quoted us a price of 300k baht for a plot big enough for a good-sized house with a pretty big yard. The land is on the edge of medium sized village near central Lampun. Is this a fair price? Just want to double check.

By the way, I'm aware of the "don't spend what can't afford to lose" rule. Thanks in advance.

About three years ago wifey and myself paid just over 600k bht for 9 rai of land in a village 35k's north of Kanchanaburi.

At the time we were told 55k bht per rai was the going rate but I liked it so much I paid a little over the odds.

Water, telephone and electric were available.

300k bht sounds way over the top to me for village land.

I thought so at first, too. But honestly, the cost of land in Thailand seems to vary widely depending on the location. In Isaan, for example, land appears to be dirt cheap. Around Chiang Mai (Lamphun) costs seem a bit higher. kennkate paid 220k for a plot of land less than half of one rai, and assuming that was a fair price than 300k for a full rai seems like a good deal.

Has anyone else had experience buying land in the Chiang Mai/Lamphun area?

Sunbelt Asia is showing astronomical prices for land in Lamphun:

http://www.sunbelt-chiangmai.com/business-...ampun-35-1.html

3 rai for 3.5 million baht

11 rai for 3.5 million baht (<deleted>?)

26 rai for 5 million (not a bad price, but crappy location)

990 sq wah for 2.25 million

14 rai for 12 million

These prices indicate that land in Lamphun is indeed quite expensive - 300k sounds reasonable compared to these prices. Is Sunbelt known for offering fair prices? I have no idea.

I thought so at first, too. But honestly, the cost of land in Thailand seems to vary widely depending on the location. In Isaan, for example, land appears to be dirt cheap. Around Chiang Mai (Lamphun) costs seem a bit higher. kennkate paid 220k for a plot of land less than half of one rai, and assuming that was a fair price than 300k for a full rai seems like a good deal.

Has anyone else had experience buying land in the Chiang Mai/Lamphun area?

I agree, as you get closer to Chiang Mai the prices head higher.

If you like the land then go for it. The initial cost for it will be small compared to the cost of a family home anyway.

i havent seen one mention of whether the land holds Chanote (full ownability title).

if it does, it is worth more.

if it doesnt it will be cheaper as there are 'potential' risks..

300.000 would seem very reasonable for 1 Rai. Location of Electricity water Supplies could put the cost Up

We had supplies on the doorstep so no problems there

You may have to infill the land. We had to, Cost was not exessive 2500 Baht

The land will have "chanote" - not sure about the details of that, but her family definitely isn't charging extra to have it arranged. I assume we'll have to pay some fees to the govt, though, since the plot of land will literally be carved out of a much larger area that her grandmother owns.

I believe elec/water will have to be installed - they are nearby, obviously, since the gf's grandmother has a house on the larger plot of land, but we'll have to have it extended onto our own plot. Still, 300k is looking like a pretty good deal.

Thanks again for all of the replies.