Visa For New Nonprofit

I am the president of a small, US registered 501©(3) nonprofit. We work in the field of education for Myanmar citizens inside Myanmar. We are expanding to aid Myanmar refugees in Thailand.

I went to the Los Angeles Thai Consulate to get a visa for this purpose. The officer there couldn't understand that we are a new organization and insisted I get documentation from existing international organizations as their employee, which I am not.

A multiple entry, non-immigrant visa would suit my needs perfectly. As the org is still small, we will not be seeking to purchase capital in the short term. Also, we won't be doing business with Thai companies, so an invitation letter, etc. is not forthcoming.

I have read all the visa descriptions and there doesn't seem to be a category under which our situation is addressed. Can anyone shed some light on how to go about getting, at least, a 1-year visa? Do I have to register as a foreign company/aid organization in Thailand?

Thanks.

You should be able to get a multiple entry non immigrant O visa. You will need to show some type of documentation for your organization. A letter on the organizations letter head explaining what you are doing and that the organization will be covering your expenses and etc. should be enough but of course it can't signed by you .

I suggest you contact one of the honorary consulates because they will be much easier to deal with. They accept mail in applications and normally turn those around the same day received. For a list with contact info use the pulldown menu at the top of this webgage. http://www.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

Try the Houston consulate they are very quick to respond to emails and are very helpfull.

You must have the support from a organization within Thailand.

They will help you with visa and work permit.

And as answer for your next question.

Yes, you need a work permit for volunteer work.

Agree that you will need to have a Thai partner organisation. Besides the non-immigrant "O" visa you will need to get a work permit to do any work in Thailand, including volunteer work.

I suggest you contact an international NGO already active in Thailand, such as ARC, to ask how they set it up.