Portable Air Conditioners

gguy

Does anyone have any experience with portable air conditioners in Pattaya?

A portable air conditioner is a completely self container unit with an exhaust hose. The compressor, fan, etc. are in one unit. The size is about a small refrigerator and weigh about 70 lbs. You can roll the air conditioner from room to room. I have seen several models costing about 24,000 Baht at Power Buy.

I am interested in cooling capability, operating costs, reliability, and good vendors.

All comments welcome.

I just bought a Clarte model ( made in China ) from Homepro .It cost 8,000 baht plus they gave another high powered fan for free .It has a tank you fill with Water and ice . Seems to work OK for my small office outside my main home .

We had one of those but didn't find it very practical.

They are called portable but that is open to interpretation. you need to have the two large flexible pipes poking out through a door or window which means the area round the pipes has to be sealed up somehow. Cardboard and sticky tape :) So every time you move it you have to seal round the pipes.

Another thing was the condensation drain. There is a collecting tank at the bottom of the unit that would need to be emptied several times a day. The outlet for this is very low to the ground so only something like a saucer was shallow enough to drain the tank into. I raised the AC up on blocks and fitted a extension tube to the outlet that ran into plastic bottle. That way I could see when how full the bottle was and when to empty it.

Because it is a complete unit and the compressor and fans are in the room with you they tend to be quite noisy.

We gave our away to a Thai neighbor.

Given what I know now I would go for one of those window mounted units where non of the noisy stuff is inside and the condensation drips outside.

The cheaper type where you put in water or ice are not real air-cons. Just fans blowing damp air that gives the illusion of cooling. There are fine in dry desert regions but in the tropics where there is enough humidity already they only add to the general problems of damp in the house.

:D

Has anyone seen window air conditioners for sale in Pattaya? You place the unit in a window. The compression and heat exhaust is outside and the fan and controls are inside. They are very popular in US. When you change residences, you can take the a/c with you and place in another window.

I just bought a Clarte model ( made in China ) from Homepro .It cost 8,000 baht plus they gave another high powered fan for free .It has a tank you fill with Water and ice . Seems to work OK for my small office outside my main home .

I have a couple of those too, but this isn't what the OP was discussing.

I used a similar item in Hong Kong, but as a de-humidifier. It cooled the apartment down as well as taking out some of the 95% humidity that we had there in August. But other than that, I tend to agree that any air-extraction will require replacement air from somewhere.

With my unit stated above ,no pipe is needed from the apparatus .You just need to feed it with a few bags of ice each day ,and they told me to change the water once a week.

Your unit is not an aircondtioner per se. An airconditioner has a compressor and refrigerant.

Your unit is commonly called a humidifier. Very popular in hot and dry areas like the desert in the Middle East and parts of India (Delhi). The unit has a fan blowing over ice or a water-soaked fabric. It essentially introduces moisture (mist) into the room. It works reasonably well in dry (low humidity) areas where the room temperature can drop by as much as 10 degrees C - from 45 to 35 degrees C. But still very hot in Delhi in May!

Personally I would not use a humidifier in a confined space like a bedroom. Water purity is the problem. Legionnaire's Disease comes to mind.