Blackberries

Does anyone know any contacts for the U.S. to get passported Blackberry shoots so when I go through customs & attempt to get them through in June 7th I don't get hassled by immigration .Or does anyone have a link to blackberry starts for sale in Thailand?

Thank you for that link

Looks like they have some awesome seeds for sale. Do you think they will acclimate well Thailand?

It sure would be a lot easier - I am not sure if it still is a problem , but I read in 2004 California & 3 other states had a lock down on blackberry starts. No ship. I can find out more details about it when I get back. They are so prevalent in Cali. not to many people order when you can just pick the vines & grow them for free. & what a hel_l of a security hedge(the thorn-ed variety). I have been ensnared in a thicket while foraging & it hurts like hel_l. I think I almost prefer fire ants!

I checked here in the US for you, and there aren't any companies shipping outside the continental US. I think you would be better off looking to New Zealand for a source. The plants developed in the US are created for the more temperate North American climate.

If you want to pursue some leads for US sources anyway, you might check with the University of Arkansas. They have developed a thornless cane that produces large berries. I can't say that I know it would thrive in the heat and humidity of Thailand, however. My guess is that the rainy season in Thailand would kill the plants which rely on excellent drainage and less heat.

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen this website blackberrythai.com

Personally, I rely on an Iphone for cellular communication !

Once I brought a raspberry shoot and it lingered for a while.

After about six month it finally died, maybe blackberries will do better ?

You might have a chance if :

Find a permanently shaded spot for them

Seriously elevate the growing medium , my favorite way ; get al least three septic tank concrete circles , stack them, fill with suitable soil.

I might just try to grow them myself!

regards

I decided to get 300 seeds from Kennedy seed company as California has banned any transporying of blackberrys in or out of state (& of course out of the U.S.

I will post if I have any luck if anyone wants some starts once they get going.

See you soon Back in Thailand July 12th!

Barry

• 5 months later...

Many parts of the world class blackberries as noxious weeds , if they acclimatise ,birds spread them like widfire, when contemplating plants from overseas ,for Gods sake give a thought to the local environment .

The "lock down " by some American states should give you a clue about blackberries.