How To Start A Non-profit In Thailand?

I am hoping someone out there may know a few things about starting a nonprofit in Thailand. I have done the whole business setup thing enough times in the for-profit categories here, but I am interested in finding out the obstacles in setting up a nonprofit in Bangkok that serves as a dog rescue and placement agency. If anyone knows about this, your knowledge would be much appreciated.

Other than the procedural details, I am also interested in knowing if I, as an expat, can fully "own" and operate this without having to do the usual share issuance game. In addition, do nonprofits here qualify to receive government grants just as they do in other countries?

Thanx,

I am in the incorporation services business, and I have looked into this area in quite some depth. There are two possible entities: a Foundation, or an Association.

Creating either one of these is a grueling process - I would say it is 50% harder than the full process from arriving here as a tourist, and completing all the steps to become a Thai citizen. I.e. - quite difficult. That's if it is created by Thais.

But - creating such an entity is child's play compared to obtaining approval to operate an NGO here under foreign control or management - or even for a Foundation or Association to sponsor a foreigner for a work permit. Basically, to set up a foreign NGO entity, you need the involvement of the Head of State of your country, dealing with Thailand's Prime Minister - or at least direct Foreign Minister discussions. I'm not exaggerating.

In checking with foreign "employees" of several large Foundations in Thailand, I found that none of them had work permits. All of them - although they were defacto long-term residents here - were technically employed and paid outside of Thailand. But - they had special stamps in their passports that gave them something similar to diplomatic status - making them not subject to Thai work permit rules.

Your best bet is to set up a simple Thai Private Company, and run it without intention to reward shareholders. Run it at break-even, to dispense funds in support of your objective. This way, with the consent of your Thai shareholders, you can place a foreign manager - with work permit - in charge of operations and finances.

I will tell you that there is already in existence a Royal Thai foundation to accomplish the same objective as you are proposing. I'm not certain of the name of that organization - I believe it was set up in honor of the King, after the King "adopted" a stray dog off the streets. Someone else on this board is likely to be able to point you toward that organization - just post an inquiry in the "pets" section of the forum. Were you to succeed in setting up such a charity, you might find it awkward to be in "competition" with a Thai Royal Foundation. I would think it wiser to set up your own company, chartered to flow charitable donations to the Thai Royal Foundation. So - your Thai entity would effectively be a fund-raising consultancy.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Indo-Siam Group

You may want to work with an organization already actively doing this...

Soi Dog Rescue

ReTails Too and SCAD Bangkok fall under the umbrella of the Homeless & Sick Dogs’ Funding Association, a not-for-profit organisation registered in Thailand under Registration No. 4517/2006

Edited by CWMcMurray