Americans To Train Thai English Teachers

george

Americans to train local English teachers

BANGKOK: -- The US Embassy in Bangkok and the Association of United States Alumni (AUA) plans to offer training courses for local English teachers across the country.

The training programme for English high school teachers is aimed at helping improve the quality of English teaching in Thailand.

AUA headquarters in Washington is producing video tapes to help train English teachers in various countries, including Egypt, Costa Rica and Thailand.

The training will be offered once a month around the country, with the first programme scheduled for April in three key regional main cities -- Chiang Mai in the North, Khon Kaen in the Northeast and Nakorn Si Thammarat in the South.

All participants will have to agree to become trainers after finishing their course, and set up a similar programme in their schools for their colleagues.

The programme involves several new ideas for teaching English as a second language and new practices for students in the classroom, the foreign affairs’ education director, Jurairat Saengboonnam told TNA.

The offer of the training programme was made during a meeting of US embassy officers and senior Thai education ministry officials, led by the Permanent Secretary for Education, Khun Ying Kasama Varawan Na Ayutthaya, here on Thursday.

--TNA 2005-02-11

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Yanks can't speak English properly

Although we are reasonable when it comes to punctuation.

You forgot a period.

A period is either a moment in time or what women have every 28 days.

I think you mean a "fullstop" :o

My Chambers Dictionary (NOT Websters!), and only the 20th century edition, says a period is the time in which anything runs its (NB no apostrophe!!~!~!~!!!!! Sorry is that flaming?) course: an interval in time at the end of which events recur in the same order: the time required for a complete oscillation - reciprocal of the frequency, etc etc etc.. It goes on for more then half a column (a lot of it scientific such as periodic table and geological time), and ends with the derivation: 'periodus' (Gr) 'peri' around, 'hodos' away). So NOT a MOMENT in time!

This could run and run. Its gonna be fun for Brits, besides Yanks, Ozzies, Kiwis, Springboks, Irish, etc. But why the special arrangement with US? Has the British Council been asleep?

Most Yanks can't speak English properly

Although we are reasonable when it comes to punctuation.

You forgot a period.

A period is either a moment in time or what women have every 28 days.

I think you mean a "fullstop" :o

My Chambers Dictionary (NOT Websters!), and only the 20th century edition, says a period is the time in which anything runs its (NB no apostrophe!!~!~!~!!!!! Sorry is that flaming?) course: an interval in time at the end of which events recur in the same order: the time required for a complete oscillation - reciprocal of the frequency, etc etc etc.. It goes on for more then half a column (a lot of it scientific such as periodic table and geological time), and ends with the derivation: 'periodus' (Gr) 'peri' around, 'hodos' away). So NOT a MOMENT in time!

This could run and run. Its gonna be fun for Brits, besides Yanks, Ozzies, Kiwis, Springboks, Irish, etc. But why the special arrangement with US? Has the British Council been asleep?

So, let's see if I understand the announcement (assuming it's accurate).

The AUA's headquarters in Washington DC will make a single series of video tapes for use in Egypt, Thailand, Costa Rica, and maybe Bukhina Faso and Vanatu as well. And that stunning presentation on videotape will be aired in Thailand to senior Thai ajarns of English.

Being the pessimist (and having watched a recent telecast of a live TESOL conference beamed to Thai ajarns of English all over Thailand), I'll predict that the advice on the AUA tapes won't fit the organizational culture of the Thai system of public education. (I'm American, but) I suspect that the American professors of EFL won't realize that most govt. teaching in Thailand is to classes of 51 students (of whom 40 are indifferent), without air conditioning, by rote, without critical thinking, to kids who aren't as fluent as an American three-year old. Tests are by multiple choice (ghastly written), everybody passes, and the 'academic standards' don't translate to any dialect of English.

But I'm testy, so you may tease me, but I'm trying to write tests that are a testament to learning English, and I need more testicular fortitude to finish these tests.

I have come across German "English" teachers who have reduced adult Thais to tears (Vee hafe ways) so Yanks must be better than that unless they come from Georgia. I taught at a summer school some years ago where I was asked what "Gonna" means, I explained that it was American slang. Previously there had been some young American religous preachers working with them. For goodness sake if you are going to teach Thais English, do not teach slang. Another one was "I know where thats at" not "That is" I know that I probably have opened a can (tin) of worms , slang is bad in UK also but at least most fully qualified teachers can speak the Queen's English.

The AUA's headquarters in Washington DC will make a single series of video tapes for use in Egypt, Thailand, Costa Rica, and maybe Bukhina Faso and Vanatu as well.  And that stunning presentation on videotape will be aired in Thailand to senior Thai ajarns of English. 

Being the pessimist (and having watched a recent telecast of a live TESOL conference beamed to Thai ajarns of English all over Thailand), I'll predict that the advice on the AUA tapes won't fit the organizational culture of the Thai system of public education.    (I'm American, but) I suspect that the American professors of EFL won't realize that most govt. teaching in Thailand is to classes of 51 students (of whom 40 are indifferent), without air conditioning, by rote, without critical thinking, to kids who aren't as fluent as an American three-year old.  Tests are by multiple choice (ghastly written), everybody passes, and the 'academic standards' don't translate to any dialect of English.

But I'm testy, so you may tease me, but I'm trying to write tests that are a testament to learning English, and I need more testicular fortitude to finish these tests.

Very perceptive of you PB. One other question that arises - is this being given as US aid, or are the Thai govt. expected to pay for the service? Being the cynic I am, I suspect there is slightly more to this "gesture of goodwill" than the piece suggests.

I believe that the agency USAID does many projects of education throughout Thailand. The recently retired US ambassador was a Peace Corps volunteer teacher in Thailand over 40 years ago, and was glad to help the educators here.

Is 'gonna' slang only in the USA? And is 'whilst' better than 'while' just because Queen Victoria said it? I like to bicker over Brit versus American usage, but it's quite petty. Whether we approve or not, American English is taking over, via the television, movies, and internet. Or is that 'cinema?' And when I end a sentence with quotation marks (or whatever else you call them), does the full stop/period go before or after the last quote mark? Does it matter? No, it doesn't matter, so long as it communicates.

I think you'll find that educators in America (at least the country in the American hemisphere between or betwixt Canada and Mexico) use proper English when lecturing. And it's about as boring as when British professors lecture. Or are Brits educatours and professours?

It should read "Americans to train Thai Teachers in the art of speaking American" :D

:D

I'm a Yank. Worked in Saudi Arabia some years back. Our operators were Brits. I remember one time when two Brits were giving us Yanks static for using too much slang. "You Yanks use too much slang", one explained. He then turned to his companion next to him and said,"Like that bloody advert last night on the Telly."

I guess then "that bloody advert last night on the Telly" is the Queen's English?

But then of course there is Texan speech. Do you now the term "Rat Cheer"? It is used in Texas as in the sentence,"You-haul put that down Rat Cheer Rat now."

:D

Once heard on the BBC that an "articulated lorry" had collided with a "Caravan" at a "Lay By". My first question was were any of the Camels in the Caravan killed?

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I'm just looking forward to customs at the new airport:

"Howdy! Y'all bringin` any hooch with yas?"

"Just these three bottles"

"Ah say.. ah say, that's too dang much son! I'ma gonna haveta confinskate one o` them there varmints!"

cv

What is the Queen's English? Is it English spoken by the Queen of England?

If so, and it is advocated by Brits as the only "proper" way to speak English, should Brits not get her to record enough of her speech so we can all learn to speak English prorerly?

I am serious about getting to the bottom of the Brits tendency to attack anyone who speaks English learned in another country while not decrying their own Cockney or other strains that can hadly be considered the "Queen's English".

Even BBC, government supported world wide English language broadcaster, doesn't care a twit about promulgating "proper" English, when they put on the air an anchor such as Ducet.

The English language is morphing everywhere, seems to me it is impossible to keep it pure in any sense of the word. I still don't know what "######" means and I wonder how that word fits into the Brits notion of the "Queen's English"? This term was first encountered in Thaivisa.

I will be happy to use "######" when encountering Brits, if someone will explain its meaning to me.

Englishmen make no apologies for teaching Indians their language as Englishmen speak it when they were a world's superpower. Why should they now complain about the world's only superpower doing the same thing? "Sour Grapes"

Is the last quotation an "Americanism" or not, I really don't know?

Unfortunately the BBC has to pander to the regional elements, which is why they

use Scottish and Irish presenters (oops I almost said anchors... horrible americanism).

I often wonder what non-native english speakers make of these regional

accents?

Especially when they interview locals with really strong accents, and do not

bother to give sub-titles. Sometimes I struggle to understand, and English is my

mother tongue!!

What is the Queen's English?  Is it English spoken by the Queen of England?

If so, and it is advocated by Brits as the only "proper" way to speak English, should Brits not get her to record enough of her speech so we can all learn to speak English prorerly?

I am serious about getting to the bottom of the Brits tendency to attack anyone who speaks English learned in another country while not decrying their own Cockney or other strains that can hadly be considered the "Queen's English".

Even BBC, government supported world wide English language broadcaster, doesn't care a twit about promulgating "proper" English, when they put on the air an anchor such as Ducet.

The English language is morphing everywhere, seems to me it is impossible to keep it pure in any sense of the word.  I still don't know what "######" means and I wonder how that word fits into the Brits notion of the "Queen's English"?  This term was first encountered in Thaivisa.

I will be happy to use "######" when encountering Brits, if someone will explain its meaning to me.

Englishmen make no apologies for teaching Indians their language as Englishmen speak it when they were a world's superpower.  Why should they now complain about the world's only superpower doing the same thing?  "Sour Grapes" 

Spell it differently, and somebody might be able to help you with the meaning.

The absurd West Texas slang, like hillbilly slang and Eubonics, is not standard American English. Likewise, the poems of Robert Burns are not standard British English now, although they might have been Scots English when he wrote them.

I'll repeat it: natives of a tiny island in the Atlantic, who have more accents than you can throw a dictionary at, insist that their singular "Queen's English" should be the standard around the world for all forms of the language. Yet their own native tongues are crazyquilt derivations of German, French, Norse, Latin, and Celtic tongues.

I'm listening now to Willie Nelson sing "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" and his accent's not half as bad as some of the south England pebblemouths I hear in Thailand.

Slang is the non-standard use of words in a language of a particular social group, and sometimes the creation of new words or importation of words from another language. Slang is a type of sociolect aimed at excluding certain people from the conversation. Slang initially functions as encryption, so that the non-initiate cannot understand the conversation. Slang functions as a way to recognize members of the same group, and to differentiate that group from the society at large. Slang terms are often particular to a certain subculture, such as drug users, skateboarders and musicians. Slang generally implies playful, informal speech. Slang is distinguished from jargon, the technical vocabulary of a particular profession, as jargon is (in theory) not used to exclude non-group members from the conversation, but rather deals with technical peculiarities of a given field which require a specialized vocabulary.

Functions and origins of slang

The use of slang is simply a way of circumventing social taboos. The mainstream language tends to shy away from explicitly evoking certain realities. Slang, and also the informal forms of language, permit one to talk about these realities in a special language stripped of the usual connotations in the normal register. Slang vocabularies are particularly rich in certain domains, such as sexuality, violence, crime and drugs.

There is not just one slang, but many varieties – or dialects – of slang. Different social groups in different times have developed their own slang. The importance of encryption and identity vary among the various slangs.

Slang must constantly renew its process of expression, and specifically its vocabulary, so that those not part of the group will remain unable to understand the slang. The existence of slang dictionaries, of course, cancels the effectiveness of certain words. Numerous slang terms pass into informal mainstream speech, and thence sometimes into mainstream formal speech.

Originally, certain slang designated the speech of people involved in the criminal underworld, hooligans, bandits, criminals, etc. Therefore, their vocabulary carried very vulgar connotations, and was strictly rejected by speakers of "proper" language. Other groups developed their own slangs, in general, groups on the margins of mainstream society who were excluded or rejected by it.

Use and purpose of slang

Slang is often particular to a brief period of time, with common usage ranging from decades to only a few months. Slang widely used and understood at one time, may not have the same connotations later. The elderly are a group of people who have the most problems with this colloquial form of language.

For example, a good thing may have been swell in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, groovy in the 1960s, and cool in the 1970s. And although the term cool may still be accepted today, swell and groovy have fallen out of favor. This fluid quality is typical of slang, since it changes more rapidly than other parts of language.

Another mean by which slang is quickly extinguished is a word's passage into standard speech, at which point it ceases to be slang even though the word itself may still be used in the same context. For instance, the English language has long used phrases like "hot-tempered" or "heated debate", and in contrast the word cool came to mean something akin to "calm". This usage became popular in the 1950's, and by the 1970's had evolved into a slang term along the lines of groovy. The modern use of the word is something in between, often meaning "alright" or "inoffensive" (non-heated). Such non-standard uses have caught on so heavily that even prestigious sources like Roget's Thesaurus reaffirm them, and will likely soon become standard definitions. An historical example is the English word swart (derived from the Norse svart or swart), which originally meant "black". It soon evolved into a slang term (among poets) for any "dark" shade. Today, the English word swarthy means "very dark brown"; this is considered the standard use of the word, and the older definitions have passed almost entirely into disuse.

From Wikipedia

The AUA's headquarters in Washington DC will make a single series of video tapes for use in Egypt, Thailand, Costa Rica, and maybe Bukhina Faso and Vanatu as well.  And that stunning presentation on videotape will be aired in Thailand to senior Thai ajarns of English. 

Being the pessimist (and having watched a recent telecast of a live TESOL conference beamed to Thai ajarns of English all over Thailand), I'll predict that the advice on the AUA tapes won't fit the organizational culture of the Thai system of public education.    (I'm American, but) I suspect that the American professors of EFL won't realize that most govt. teaching in Thailand is to classes of 51 students (of whom 40 are indifferent), without air conditioning, by rote, without critical thinking, to kids who aren't as fluent as an American three-year old.  Tests are by multiple choice (ghastly written), everybody passes, and the 'academic standards' don't translate to any dialect of English.

I believe that the agency USAID does many projects of education throughout Thailand.  The recently retired US ambassador was a Peace Corps volunteer teacher in Thailand over 40 years ago, and was glad to help the educators here.

Is 'gonna' slang only in the USA?  And is 'whilst' better than 'while' just because Queen Victoria said it?  I like to bicker over Brit versus American usage, but it's quite petty.  Whether we approve or not, American English is taking over, via the television, movies, and internet.  Or is that 'cinema?'  And when I end a sentence with quotation marks (or whatever else you call them), does the full stop/period go before or after the last quote mark?  Does it matter?  No, it doesn't matter, so long as it communicates.

I think you'll find that educators in America (at least the country in the American hemisphere between or betwixt Canada and Mexico) use proper English when lecturing.  And it's about as boring as when British professors lecture.  Or are Brits educatours and professours?

What is the Queen's English?  Is it English spoken by the Queen of England?

The English language is morphing everywhere, seems to me it is impossible to keep it pure in any sense of the word.  I still don't know what "######" means and I wonder how that word fits into the Brits notion of the "Queen's English"?  This term was first encountered in Thaivisa.

Englishmen make no apologies for teaching Indians their language as Englishmen speak it when they were a world's superpower.  Why should they now complain about the world's only superpower doing the same thing?  "Sour Grapes" 

The absurd West Texas slang, like hillbilly slang and Eubonics, is not standard American English.  Likewise, the poems of Robert Burns are not standard British English now, although they might have been Scots English when he wrote them.

I'll repeat it: natives of a tiny island in the Atlantic, who have more accents than you can throw a dictionary at, insist that their singular "Queen's English" should be the standard around the world for all forms of the language.  Yet their own native tongues are crazyquilt derivations of German, French, Norse, Latin, and Celtic tongues.

I'm listening now to Willie Nelson sing "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" and his accent's not half as bad as some of the south England pebblemouths I hear in Thailand.

I totally agree with these two posters.

Chuchok, the article on slang is interesting. Does this mean that British slang is the only accepted deviation from the Queen's English? If so, then that is about as absurd as telling someone to "kip down" when what they want is a nap (full stop) :o

Give me a break: virtually all Thai students grimace at "half-past 5, or quarter to 6" especially when 5:30 and 6:45 are far better and more precise.

Cheerio :D

(the use of this word to denote British English is equal to the ridiculous characterization of Texan slang for standard American English).

Edited by kat