Cost Of Childbirth

jauntyjohn

can anyone shed some light on this one plse?

My wife is due to give birth this October. She had an office job 1.5 years ago for one month - she paid tax etc but left after one month. The hospital (in udon thani) told her that she has some type of medical insurance that requires her to go to a hospital in saraburi where she can pay for the birth then get her money back later, but only if she goes to this particular hospital otherwise she will have to pay for the birth in udon. Does anyone know what this is about? Being thailand its hard to get info at the best of times.

Thanks for any help.

can anyone shed some light on this one plse?

My wife is due to give birth this October. She had an office job 1.5 years ago for one month - she paid tax etc but left after one month. The hospital (in udon thani) told her that she has some type of medical insurance that requires her to go to a hospital in saraburi where she can pay for the birth then get her money back later, but only if she goes to this particular hospital otherwise she will have to pay for the birth in udon. Does anyone know what this is about? Being thailand its hard to get info at the best of times.

Thanks for any help.

My mrs got 12k back.

But you ask about the cost of Child Birth??? check out the family and children forum on here.

we discuss this at length in the other thread, i suggest you check it out.

the hospital costs are one thing, but keep in mind the monthly pre-visits, mri's and so on which cost. also, the kid needs regular vaccinations in the months afterwards.

My first was 80,000 a Bamrungrad - nothing back.

My second was totally free at a govt. hospital and a much better experience.

I have Bpragan Sang Kom which entitles my wife to be reimbursed for 5,000 baht I think. However we didn't have to pay anything for some reason.

My mate paid 70,000 Baht for a "pregnancy package" at Lad Phrao Hospital. Caesareans are virtually compulsory and private hospitals like this like to stick the baby in an incubator for a few days after the birth to A) ensure they are not accused of negligence :) add extra cost and C) ensure their incubators are fully occupied and they are maximising return on their investment.

My mate paid 70,000 Baht for a "pregnancy package" at Lad Phrao Hospital. Caesareans are virtually compulsory and private hospitals like this like to stick the baby in an incubator for a few days after the birth to A) ensure they are not accused of negligence :) add extra cost and C) ensure their incubators are fully occupied and they are maximising return on their investment.

Same as Bamrungrad - they told us she'd have to go to ICU for 3 days to be sure about something tha we found out afterwards was unecessary. Strangely, our daughter was the only baby there and there was a whole medical staff - cost us 40,000 more - cheating ******s

53,000 at Chiang Mai Ram, C section, 3 nights stay.

Not a package. The package is around 60,000 for C section, including 6 or 7 nights stay.

Why 6-7 nights stay ??....My Ex-Mrs was out the hospital within 3 days after a C-section, inflating the cost perhaps ??

53,000 at Chiang Mai Ram, C section, 3 nights stay.

Not a package. The package is around 60,000 for C section, including 6 or 7 nights stay.

Why 6-7 nights stay ??....My Ex-Mrs was out the hospital within 3 days after a C-section, inflating the cost perhaps ??

Guessing the mother had a few complications???

The first bundle of joy my wife had a placenta previa and they tried to say stay at the hopsital for 3 days first at a charge of about 18 000 extra and then see if the little one sorts herself out. Rang Dr Grandpa and he said not to faff around and get the kid out.

Private hospitals always try the delaying tactic, they can be so cheeky. Once my eldest got very dehydrated and had to go on an IV for 2 days, when ti was time to go the Dr said she woud prefer her to stay another 24hrs, I said why she said just procautinary and then said maipenrai the insurance pay you not pay and giggles to herslef ?????????? urhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

Edited by bravingbangkok

Same as Bamrungrad - they told us she'd have to go to ICU for 3 days to be sure about something tha we found out afterwards was unecessary. Strangely, our daughter was the only baby there and there was a whole medical staff - cost us 40,000 more - cheating ******s

70k all in in Bumrungrad for C-Section package 3 nights in April. Started as natural birth but changed to C-Section later. No extra charge for the natural attempt. Very professional and good experience, no incubators and no extra charges or unnecessary procedures.

Package was 65k and another 5k for some additional medication to take home, birth cert translations and MFA stamps, my food and other room service items.

Note, you do not have to go for c-section if you do not want to. We were never pressured to do it by the hospital and doctors. Only after valid medical reasons, which were explained to me in detial in good english i and my wife decided to go for C-Section for the safety or the baby and mother.

I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself but people keep asking the same question so I keep giving the same answer. Birth at a goverment hospital is free, C section, natural whatever. You only pay for a private room if you so require. Monthly scans prior to birth are under 300 Baht inclusive of Iron tablets at the government doctors private clinic. Vaccinations for babies are free at a government hospital. Please someone explain the rush to go private and fork out dosh that would be better spent on other things ? The end result at a government hospital and a private hospital are the same you get a baby.

Regarding c-section, the doctor at the Govt hospital was very keen for a natural birth despite my wife having diabetes in pregnancy - she was two hours into labour when there were complications so they decided to do an emergency c-section.

I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself but people keep asking the same question so I keep giving the same answer. Birth at a goverment hospital is free, C section, natural whatever. You only pay for a private room if you so require. Monthly scans prior to birth are under 300 Baht inclusive of Iron tablets at the government doctors private clinic. Vaccinations for babies are free at a government hospital. Please someone explain the rush to go private and fork out dosh that would be better spent on other things ? The end result at a government hospital and a private hospital are the same you get a baby.

It's been explained to you many times mate. I'm not gonna go down that road again :)

It's been explained to you many times mate. I'm not gonna go down that road again :)

Right on Q 'MJo'. No it hasn't been explained, in my opinion. Either that or I missed the post(s) Edited by coventry

Thanks for all the info - am i right in saying that thebirth at a government hospital is free if the lady has had a job, has a job or doesn't have a job? I don't understand why they are saying it isn't free if she has had a job...

True, however, but much like going to McDonald's and comparing it to Lord Jim's.

I have zero, nada, nil, regrets about spending 60k on my wife and son. You wan't 30 Baht healthcare and the joys that come with that, be my guest mate.

Thanks for all the info - am i right in saying that thebirth at a government hospital is free if the lady has had a job, has a job or doesn't have a job? I don't understand why they are saying it isn't free if she has had a job...
If she has a proper job, not working the rice fields, then she should be paying a contribution to medical insurance. The insurance will cover her for the birth of the baby up to 12,000 Baht I believe. If she has no official job she's entitled to free treatment for the birth at her local government hospital.

'Bkkjames' I didn't choose the hospital for the birth of our children, my wife did. As for thinking you receive lesser standards in a government hospital then your mistaken. The same went for a poster that came on this forum and said he'd done his "homework" and government hospitals didn't have ICU's therefore he wasn't going to use one. I have 3 children all born government hospital and can only say that "if I were to have 3 more then we'd use them again".

I think having a baby privately or in a government hospital is a bit like the 'Sin Sot'. If you want to pay then go ahead. But if I can stop someone from wasting money then I will keep on pushing government hospitals in the same way as I encourage people not to pay 'Sin Sot'.

If she has a proper job, not working the rice fields, then she should be paying a contribution to medical insurance. The insurance will cover her for the birth of the baby up to 12,000 Baht I believe. If she has no official job she's entitled to free treatment for the birth at her local government hospital.

'Bkkjames' I didn't choose the hospital for the birth of our children, my wife did. As for thinking you receive lesser standards in a government hospital then your mistaken. The same went for a poster that came on this forum and said he'd done his "homework" and government hospitals didn't have ICU's therefore he wasn't going to use one. I have 3 children all born government hospital and can only say that "if I were to have 3 more then we'd use them again".

I think having a baby privately or in a government hospital is a bit like the 'Sin Sot'. If you want to pay then go ahead. But if I can stop someone from wasting money then I will keep on pushing government hospitals in the same way as I encourage people not to pay 'Sin Sot'.

I've said this before and i still agree with you it is good that people are informed that government hospitals are also good cheap option. And i fully agree with you that they provide good enough care. But if someone really wants to go with private hospital and is happy to pay for it let them be.

I've said this before and i still agree with you it is good that people are informed that government hospitals are also good cheap option. And i fully agree with you that they provide good enough care. But if someone really wants to go with private hospital and is happy to pay for it let them be.
Do you say the same to all that try to deter others from paying the Sin Sot ? No I don't think so. The reason why I post about government hospital is because many farangs come here and don't know of how to use one/them. All I'm doing is being informative, exactly what a forum is supposed to be. Anyway I thought you weren't going to get drawn into this thread ? Obviously you couldn't resist once I posted ?

'Mjo' I never critisise you for supporting Sin Sot payments, even though I could have, so why criticise me for advocating government hospitals ? I've never told anyone not to use private hospitals but only given them advice on the other option available to them.

Edited by coventry

Expressing ones view & experiences is one thing but please everyone try to express your views without resorting to insults or agression. If someone choses to pay 100+ baht then that is their choice just as using the government hospital/30 baht healthcare option is someone elses. There is though no need for either side to criticise the other.

Fully agree with Boo here for once :) also i fail to see this being connected to paying sin sod ?

Coventry, what i'm trying to say here is that i do not see any issues with you informing others that basicly free services are available for them.

I am however responding again your standard question "Please someone explain the rush to go private and fork out dosh that would be better spent on other things ?" and i think it was Samran who put it in laymans terms replying to you last time "because we can mate, because we can..."

You pick this same fight in each and every thread in this forum and just derail the topic in hand. Well i guess it's time for me to stop contributing to this mayhem for now. See you around in next one.

Fully agree with Boo here for once :) also i fail to see this being connected to paying sin sod ?

Coventry, what i'm trying to say here is that i do not see any issues with you informing others that basicly free services are available for them.

I am however responding again your standard question "Please someone explain the rush to go private and fork out dosh that would be better spent on other things ?" and i think it was Samran who put it in laymans terms replying to you last time "because we can mate, because we can..."

You pick this same fight in each and every thread in this forum and just derail the topic in hand. Well i guess it's time for me to stop contributing to this mayhem for now. See you around in next one.

I think you'll find that the quoted 'Samran' post was deleted.

You have me thinking now. We had twins four weeks ago. My son was in an incubator for almost a week. This almost doubled the price of the whole package. I did wonder what we were paying for as it just seemed to be a plastic box with some oxygen fed in. However, in situations like that one does not like to question too much. Ours was the only kid in an incubator though.

You have me thinking now. We had twins four weeks ago. My son was in an incubator for almost a week. This almost doubled the price of the whole package. I did wonder what we were paying for as it just seemed to be a plastic box with some oxygen fed in. However, in situations like that one does not like to question too much. Ours was the only kid in an incubator though.

Ours was in incubator only about two hours right after birth. Was told it was standard practise for them to keep for two hours and if all ok then keep another two hours in icu under monitoring. After that if all ok they release to the room with mother. So this was done in Bumrungrad for all babies and the reason was that it helps them to breath and keeps the temperature correct and most of all they are under monitoring by the icu nurses so that they see all is going ok and there is no immediate problems with breathing etc. Edit: this was included in the package price

But you are right, who can question the decision unless you are qualified doctor. But somehow i do not believe they continuosly scam people by keeping baby's in incubators without valid reason. At least not in large recognized hospitals. The fact that it was only your kid there proves for me that they really use the incubators only when there is real need. Otherwise it would be full of kids in incubators.

Edited by MJo

I think you'll find that the quoted 'Samran' post was deleted.

re: the deletion shock, horror.

regarding ones choice. It is exactly that, a choice. I'm actually a big beleiver in high quality a public system which is accessable to all and that the private system should not be developed at the expense of the public system (but if I’m being honest, the existence of a higher paying private system will naturally cause the migration of a finite amount of doctors from the former to the latter).

Nevertheless, the answer still remains the same. When I am 2km from a high quality private hospital (and a traffic jam away from the nearest public one –Chulalongkorn) where my wife feels comfortable and is happy with the doctor and is know for her quick labours, and where my insurance is going to pay for it, then why wouldn’t I use it? It make sense to me...