Bangkok Mrt Cards Have A 5-year Expiry Date

camerata

I wondered about this, since, unlike the BTS Smartpass, there's no mention of expiration on the card. That's good they just extend it without charge. Any ideas what happens with the BTS card after 5 years?

I wondered about this, since, unlike the BTS Smartpass, there's no mention of expiration on the card. That's good they just extend it without charge. Any ideas what happens with the BTS card after 5 years?

No. I remember they changed my original BTS card to a different type a couple of years ago so I doubt I'm anywhere near 5 years on the new one.

MRT has been around for 5 years already? For me, I had a refillable card for a year and when I went to refill it once he gave me a new one for no reason, perhaps mine looked worn. He just smiled like a little child and said, "I give you new one!"

You'll see some small "MRT 5th Anniversary" stickers in some stations. Yes, 5 years already. Seems like only yesterday my Thai civil engineer friend was telling me it would never work properly and would probably flood in the rainy season. :)