Interest On Deposit

I have a fixed deposit account in baht with Bank of Ayudhya. My last renewal was 6 months ago at a rate of 1.75%.

Lately the rates went down, i know, but for the next 6 months the bank offers me a mere 0.5%!! At this rate is worthless to renew!

Does anyone of you knows if i can get more with another bank?

If it makes any difference for the bank i currently hold a non imm.O visa (marriage) that i am going to extend for 1 year in a couple of months (before i held only a tourist visa). Thank you all.

You can hop on-line and look at all of the banks' rates.

You will not be pleasantly surprised by any of them.

This is going on everywhere worldwide. Banks are not paying anything now.

I remember when in 1991 we could get 15% on a fixed deposit account here

As usual, you will be able to find useful info in the many pre-existing threads in Thaivisa ... start here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...2Bbank+interest

as well as this-or instead of this-just google to find the interest rates pages within each bank's web site and do the comparisons yourself

Depending on your personal financial circumstances the next step might be to explore other options like conservative mutual funds (bonds, cash etc)

As usual, you will be able to find useful info in the many pre-existing threads in Thaivisa ... start here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...2Bbank+interest

as well as this-or instead of this-just google to find the interest rates pages within each bank's web site and do the comparisons yourself

Depending on your personal financial circumstances the next step might be to explore other options like conservative mutual funds (bonds, cash etc)

Thanks to Lopburi3 and Chiangmaibruce for the info (CMBruce i know there are many threads about this subject but you should know that rates can vary almost on daily basis, so they are worthless except for advice i already know).

Cash in an account with Bualuang Securities, majority-owned by Bangkok Bank, earns two percent compounded monthly. Not much but better than what a bank pays and probably just as secure.

UPDATE:

The best rates for 6m deposit are given actually BKK Bank, Siam City Bank, KTB and Tisco Bank with a wonderful 1%!!

This morning I went to Bank of Ayudhya in Phuket town and they offerd 0,50%, then i inquired at the same bank in Patong branch: 0.75%!! So rate change branch by branch?

Is not all, i spoke with Siam City bank just to be sure of their 1% published on internet, but they offered me only a 0,75, i asked if they were sure, and after further investigation they decided that the 1% interest could be given.

Amazing...isn't it?

This morning I went to Bank of Ayudhya in Phuket town and they offerd 0,50%, then i inquired at the same bank in Patong branch: 0.75%!! So rate change branch by branch?

Is not all, i spoke with Siam City bank just to be sure of their 1% published on internet, but they offered me only a 0,75, i asked if they were sure, and after further investigation they decided that the 1% interest could be given.

Amazing...isn't it?

maichai, Maichai. I suspect the two rates were most probably the resident and non-resident baht account rates offered by those banks. This issue was addressed in two recent threads ... that would have probably been identified in a forum search ... oops, but they're not worth doing because rates change every day, right? :)

A review of previous threads would also identify the names of Thai banks used by other Thaivisa members, which you can then google for interest rate info .... or have netted you URL's for sites that list current rates for many banks like this one: www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

For extension of stay the money must be in a bank (not with a securities company) that is majority Thai owned. I think the best rate for 6month deposit at the moment is Kiatnakin Bank at 1.15%. But banks often have special rates depending on their liquidity requirements so check regulary with them at the time you want to deposit the money

Amazing...isn't it?

maichai, Maichai. I suspect the two rates were most probably the resident and non-resident baht account rates offered by those banks. This issue was addressed in two recent threads ... that would have probably been identified in a forum search ... oops, but they're not worth doing because rates change every day, right? :)

A review of previous threads would also identify the names of Thai banks used by other Thaivisa members, which you can then google for interest rate info .... or have netted you URL's for sites that list current rates for many banks like this one: www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

CMbruce, you are wrong, again.

I didn't mention to the banks if i was a resident or not.

And, as others reply show, rate change continuosly, so yes, it is not worth checking old threads if you want an updated situation.

Kiatnakin was 1% 2 days ago and now seems to be 1,125%. You got the message this time?