Esol Level One - Sufficient For Uk Passport?

Hello

Can I just clarify one point???

My wife will (hopefully) be applying for ILR in 2 months after she receives her ESOL Level One certificate for speaking and listening, with Citizenship content. My wife will have been in the UK for over 3 years at this point.

After getting ILR we will be applying for a UK passport.

Is the ESOL Level One certificate for speaking and listening with citizenship content, together with a letter from the college saying that she has progressed one level sufficient, in terms of qualifications, to successfully apply for Uk citizenship/Uk passport??

My wife's friend is telling her ESOL level 3 is required, or the Life in the UK test.

Can anyone confirm this once and for all.

Thanks for your help

:)

Hi, my wife has just completed her ESOL course with citizenship and my understanding is that she had to progress at least 2 levels. She went for an interview prior to starting the course so that the college could decide what level to start her at, she started at level 1 and has now reached level 3, hope this helps.

Brigante7.

Hello

Your wifes friend is correct.

She needs to pass ESOL level 3 with the 'Britishness' built in.

She will also need to fulfill all of the other criteria for ILR and then British Citizen.

My wife got her British passport 5 years ago and back then the rules were different in that there was no britisness test and she went to see a notary solicitor who after a short conversation presented her with a certifcate to confirm her English skills and hey presto the application could go ahead.

It is alot more difficultthese days and in my opinion it is only right.

I am sure that your wife will complete ESOL level 3 and be successful in the application.

Good luck.

Hi

I have had a look at the UK Broder Agency website, and it states the undernoted. As far as I can see if you have moved up one ESOL level to the next then this is sufficient.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishc...on/lifeintheuk/

Has anyone any direct experience of this???

Thanks

This page contains details of the knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom that you need to have before you make an application for British citizenship. You can demonstrate your knowledge of language and of life in the United Kingdom in two ways.

If you speak English to a reasonable standard, you will need to pass the Life in the UK test. If you are not an English speaker, you will need to take and pass a course in English and citizenship.

English for speakers of other languages (ESOL)

If English is not your main language, you can do an ESOL course to help you improve your English. ESOL has three entry level courses:

• ESOL Entry 1;
  • ESOL Entry 2;
  • ESOL Entry 3.

Details of what is covered in each of these courses are available from the Department for Children, Schools and Families. ESOL courses are available throughout the United Kingdom; the Directgov website can help you find a course being run in your area.

Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom for non-English speakers

If you do not have English skills at ESOL Entry 3 or above, you need to take an ESOL course to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom.

You must take a course which includes citizenship materials. The course will allow you to gain sufficient knowledge of the United Kingdom at the same time as developing your knowledge of the English language. Before you apply for citizenship, you will need to show that you have moved up from one ESOL level to the next. You will need to provide evidence of this as part of your application.

Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom for English speakers

If your English skills are higher than ESOL Entry 3, you will need to pass the Life in the UK test before you submit your application for citizenship

ESOL level 3 is what she needs to complete. Unless she can pass the Britishness test (but if she can why is she doing the ESOL) then the ESOL level 1, 2 & 3 will incorporate what she needs to pass at each level.

She CANNOT apply by completing ESOL level 2 and I say save yoru money or you will lose it if you do this as she will not qualify or satisfy all of the criteria.

ESOL 3 or pass the 'britishness' test my friend.

No she must demonstrate she has improved her skills by moving up one level thats it.

Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom for non-English speakers

If you do not have English skills at ESOL Entry 3 or above, you must take an ESOL course to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom.

The course you take must include citizenship materials, so that you you can gain sufficient knowledge of the United Kingdom at the same time as developing your knowledge of the English language. When you apply for settlement, you will need to provide evidence that you have moved up from one ESOL level to the next

Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom for English speakers

If your English skills are higher than ESOL Entry 3, you will need to pass the Life in the UK test before you apply for citizenship. The test consists of 24 multiple-choice questions based on the information in the handbook 'Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship'. The handbook was last updated in March 2007, and you should make sure you use this version of the handbook when preparing for the test. The handbook is available from many bookshops, or you can order it directly from The Stationery Office. If you have a visual impairment, an audio CD version of the handbook is available.

If you are in the United Kingdom, the test can be taken at one of the 100 Life in the UK test centres. Details of how to prepare for and book your test are available on the Life in the UK test website. If you have a visual impairment, the test is available in large print or the computer can read out each question for you. If you have special needs, you should ask your nearest test centre for details of the support they can provide.

The test costs £33.28. Before you take the test, you will need to pay the fee at the test centre and show photographic identification. The Life in the UK test website provides details of suitable forms of identification.

If you pass the test, you will receive a pass notification letter. You will need to send this letter to us as part of your application. The test centre will also notify us electronically that you have successfully passed the test. This notification may take up to seven days. If you pass the test, you will not need to provide any other evidence of your language skills.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingin...languagelifeuk/

Regards TVE

ESOL level 3 is what she needs to complete. Unless she can pass the Britishness test (but if she can why is she doing the ESOL) then the ESOL level 1, 2 & 3 will incorporate what she needs to pass at each level.

She CANNOT apply by completing ESOL level 2 and I say save yoru money or you will lose it if you do this as she will not qualify or satisfy all of the criteria.

ESOL 3 or pass the 'britishness' test my friend.

you are 100% incorrect, all a person has to do is progress 1 level, IE entry level 1 to entry level 2. full stop. i should completely disregard any thing that tigerman1 posts as he has been woefully misinformed. ps, there is a spell check function on thai visa :)

Edited by micky44

Yes just one level as advised thats it.

One further quick question:

What constitues evidence of moving up one level - will the certificate of achievement from the examining body (plus a letter from the College confirming Citizenship content) be enough?

The UKBA 'helpline' has given conflicting information. One adviser says that no it isn't sufficient, whilst another says that the certificate is, by default, recognition that (in my wife's case) the Level 1 exam has been passed and therefore she has moved to level 2.

We've got an appointment booked at Croydon next month to submit the ILR application and I do not want it to be refused on a technicality.

Thanks.

The certificate should be enough, provided it says that the course included citizenship materials.

To clarify a couple of points.

Having satisfied the KOL requirement in order to obtain ILR, there is no need to do so again when applying for citizenship.

Esol entry level 3 is not a requirement: one merely needs to show that one has progressed from one level to the next. Alternatively one can take the LitUK test, but unless one's ability is at entry level 3 or above one would find it difficult to understand the study materials and the test itself.

Congrats to her.

Perhaps I should replace would find it difficult with may find it difficult.

Please remember it is entry level 3 we are talking about for the LitUK test. Level 3 is a lot higher standard, possibly good enough for 'A' levels!

The certificate should be enough, provided it says that the course included citizenship materials.

To clarify a couple of points.

Having satisfied the KOL requirement in order to obtain ILR, there is no need to do so again when applying for citizenship.

Esol entry level 3 is not a requirement: one merely needs to show that one has progressed from one level to the next. Alternatively one can take the LitUK test, but unless one's ability is at entry level 3 or above one would find it difficult to understand the study materials and the test itself.

Thanks 7by7.

She has an accompanying letter from the college confirming that the course included citizenship - so that should cover it.

Hi All

My wife was lucky enough to be here before the rule changes,

But I was under the impression that you had to progress one level at ESOL to be granted your ILR,

But had to complete Esol with citizenship, to level 3 or take the life in the UK test, to be granted Citizenship.

I may be wrong , but that is how I understand it

All the best

Templer

Confusion is rampant.

I have checked on the UK Border Agency website, and there is no mention ANYWHERE of level 3 ESOL being a requirement. ( See previous post info - lifted direct from their website). I have also checked with an OISC registered company and that is also their understanding.

Rumour and misinformation is rife. If someone can post a link to an official document or website that states that Level 3 or the Life in the UK test is a requirement for Citizenship - please for the love of god do so.

I will find out whether ESOL entry level One Listening and Speaking with Citizenship content certifcate, together with a supporting letter from the College advising that the student has moved up one level is enough, in the next 3-4 months or so.

I will then post the outcome.

Clarity will then reign.

:)

Edited by themikeymeister

every one who is saying you have to achieve level three are WRONG, OK, simple as that, you have to progress ONE level.IE you are assessed when you enroll at college, if assessed at entry level two then you must progress to entry level three, so it is in your partners best interest to act dumb when assessed !!!! not do as my wife did and tried to get a higher starting level, if they act dumb they get assessed at entry level one, when they are already probably at entry level two !! then as the course progress they can start talking and reading English, and the tutors think, :she is a good pupil she/is progressing really quickly !!!!!!!!!!! believe me, get your partner assessed at Pre entry level one. i do hope you all take this on board, cheers Micky.oh i did post this info approx two years ago.

Edited by micky44

The knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom requirement for ILR is either pass the LitUK test or progress one level in an ESOL with citizenship course. If one's English ability is at ESOL entry level 3 or better then one should be able to understand the study materials for the LitUK test and so should take this test; it'll be quicker and probably cheaper. However, if one is concerned about one's English ability being good enough then the course option would be better. It is up to the individual to choose.

The link posted earlier by TVE makes this quite clear and I cannot understand why anyone who has read this official information from the UKBA should still be confused.

The KOL requirement was first introduced for citizenship and later applied to ILR applications too. Having satisfied the KOL requirement in order to obtain ILR there is no need to do so again for citizenship. However, if someone obtained ILR before the KOL requirement for ILR was introduced, and so has not satisfied it, and now wishes to apply for citizenship then they will have to satisfy the KOL requirement first.