Vegetarian Khao Soi?

steffanmathias

This is not my recipe, it's from David Thompson's Thai Food, but it's delicious. Bear in mind there are various versions of Kao Soi, some of which use red curry paste and dried curry powder. This one doesn't, and I prefer it. But you can find plenty of variations by Googling.

4tbsp coconut cream (fresh is better if poss)

100g (vegetarian substitute - maybe tofu marinated in sweet soy?)

1 tbsp palm sugar

2 tbsp light soy sauce

1 tsp dark soy sauce (I use kecap manis)

2 cups stock or water

handful fresh egg noodles

deep fried egg noodles

1 tbsp chopped spring onion

1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves

Paste

3 dried long red chillies, deseeded, soaked and drained

4 red shallots, unpeeled

3 garlic cloves, unpeeled

1 tbsp chopped turmeric (if you can't get this I guess a 1/2tsp or less of dried, but the taste would not be as good)

2 tbsp fresh ginger

pinch salt

3 coriander roots, peeled, scraped and chopped (if you can't get these you can use a little of the stem)

1 tsp coriander seeds, roasted and ground

Roast the chillies, shallots, garlic, turmeric and ginger. Peel chillies, shallots and garlic (I've never peeled the chillies). Pound all the paste ingredients together.

Crack the coconut cream and fry the paste in it for about 5 mins. Add (tofu?), turn down the heat and simmer for 5. Add palm sugar, and both soy sauces. Moisten with stock or water (I usually use the "thin" part of the coconut milk). Season to taste.

Blanch the egg noodles, serve with curried soup poured over, and garnish with coriander, spring onion and deep fried noodles.

In separate dishes, serve sliced red shallots, lime wedges, and pickled mustard greens (I usually serve the coriander and spring onion separately too in case people don't like them). Also roast chilli sauce (he gives a recipe too, which is well worth the effort - it is different from the nam prik pao you can buy).

Note: I've never used tofu in this recipe but I think a medium firm fresh tofu would work quite well (I don't know the exact name but it was easy to buy fresh at Thai markets in the UK). In that case try to make the sauce/soup in advance and reheat, that way it will absorb plenty of the flavours.