Thailand Seeks Review Of Preah Vihear World Heritage Status

george

Slightly off-track but I question why UNESCO think it is a World Heritage site anyway. It is an outstanding monument of national class (of whichever nation really owns it). But come on - world class?

These worldwide bodies have been busily diluting the value of these awards over recent years.

PS I live only 50k away from it and I am a supporter who hopes to be a repeated future visitor.

I don't think Thais even think about fighting with Cambodia.

They have been very happy with the status quo, it's the Cambodians that decided to piss of Thais with unilateral listing, demand sovereignty over the disputed areas, and start shooting as soon as they Thai soldiers "trespassing".

I don't think Thais even think about fighting with Cambodia.

They have been very happy with the status quo, it's the Cambodians that decided to piss of Thais with unilateral listing, demand sovereignty over the disputed areas, and start shooting as soon as they Thai soldiers "trespassing".

Thais population don't want to fight but some Thai fascist officers mastermind this "war" because they need troubles inside and outside the country to justify the enormous budgets they have (30% of them are misused).

Who is asking the status quo on the border is Cambodia.

Cambodia DID NOT apply with the Unesco BEFORE to have signed an agreement with the Thai gvt in April 2008. They would not have applied if Thailand had not agreed first. The problem is that Thailand did not keep its word and changed his mind in June 2008 for internal reasons.

Yes, Cambodia demands sovereignty on the disputed land and BEGS Thailand to speed the process of demarcation. If no agreement cannot be found, Cambodia agrees to ask help from a third party. Thailand refuses to settle the problem because it wants to keep this area in high tension for obvious reasons (troubles = big military budgets).

Cambodia DID NOT apply with the Unesco BEFORE to have signed an agreement with the Thai gvt in April 2008. They would not have applied if Thailand had not agreed first.

What are you talking about?

Joint listing was in the works for years until Cambodians decided to cut off heritage sites on Thai side of the border sometime in 2007. From that point on Thai position was "no" to listing on such conditions and they staged several high progfile walk outs with the goal to subvert Cambodian bid that was scheduled to be discussed by Unesco well in advance.

Noppadon signed agreement was already declared illegal when Unesco approved the bid.

So yes, Thais have all the rights to question Unesco decision.

From the discussion I read above, the temple is in Cambodia. Case close.

Maybe it's time to open the brains and unleash all that dormant power.

According to Unesco rules a whole site should have been listed, not the temple only.

And the listing undeniably caused several armed confrontations and fatalities.

Time for Unesco to own it up, too.

Your logic is flawed.The listing caused nothing of the sort.The problem was and is mindless nationalism (in Thailand's case stirred up by opportunistic politicians) of two neighbouring countries who should be co-operating not fighting over an important piece of joint cultural interest.Tod-daniels has it absolutely right and your contributions on this subject taken as a whole seem slightly deranged i'm afraid.Your attack on UNESCO is just weird.

We know that Cambodia under Hun Sen is an immature government and hair trigger in its reactions.Thailand should be setting an example in this matter.Sumet Jumsai has pointed out the facts and to be fair Abhisit and Kasit are doing their best to sort the matter out sensibly.

But is this not just the beginning to "Opening A Can of Worms",

as Issan is Cambodian up to Khon Kaen then Laotian to upper north?

Thai senators sent a letter to Unesco a YEAR ago with complaint about breaking their own rules in Preah Vihear case, so there's nothing new in this position, it got in the news only because of the next scheduled world heritage meeting.

I'm not sure Suwit is well prepared to present the case, btw.

Thailand has all the rights to raise a stink at the Unesco over this mistreatement of history, too.

What a dangerous, wrong and insane stance!

It means that Germany could claim French Alsace, we, French, could claim US Louisiana, England could have kept Hong Kong, Cambodia should claim the Kampuchea Krom from Vietnam which could claim some territories Chinese took. And the Korea? And Georgia? Laos could claim Issan as well. It's a never ending story.

History is UNFAIR, please understand that.

It's unfair and there is a moment when reasonable people (first of all is they are in charge) should stop to dream about a BIG Siam and make useless fuss.

Thailand has already a terrible civil war in the South, I wonder why they want to create artificially another one with a neighbor country.

My guess is that Abhisit who was not born in 1962 (or he was a baby) and who is not a bad man does not mind about this temple but he is still the hostage of the fascists (some army top officers, etc.)

Siam Once extend all the way from China to Singapore; from India to South China Sea (now Vietnam).

I don't even see how thai can say that they have thai food , because all thei food is simply south chinese food. They are planning now days to copy the japanese toilet and call it thai toilet

I don't even see how thai can say that they have thai food , because all thei food is simply south chinese food.

I'm afraid it has become typical of Cambodian views - raise an unrelated point and try to offend as many Thais as possible.

I know I sould give them the benefit or doubt, but I've yet to come across a single sane Internet post arguing for Cambodian side.

Thailand has all the rights to raise a stink at the Unesco over this mistreatement of history, too.

What a dangerous, wrong and insane stance!

It means that Germany could claim French Alsace, we, French, could claim US Louisiana, England could have kept Hong Kong, Cambodia should claim the Kampuchea Krom from Vietnam which could claim some territories Chinese took. And the Korea? And Georgia? Laos could claim Issan as well. It's a never ending story.

History is UNFAIR, please understand that.

It's unfair and there is a moment when reasonable people (first of all is they are in charge) should stop to dream about a BIG Siam and make useless fuss.

Thailand has already a terrible civil war in the South, I wonder why they want to create artificially another one with a neighbor country.

My guess is that Abhisit who was not born in 1962 (or he was a baby) and who is not a bad man does not mind about this temple but he is still the hostage of the fascists (some army top officers, etc.)

Siam Once extend all the way from China to Singapore; from India to South China Sea (now Vietnam).

I don't even see how thai can say that they have thai food , because all thei food is simply south chinese food. They are planning now days to copy the japanese toilet and call it thai toilet

If Pad Thai is a centuries old Thai noodle recipe, why isn't that dish call Pad Siam? :)

If Muay Thai is a centuries old Thai sport, why isn't it called Muay Siam? :D

Thais population don't want to fight but some Thai fascist officers mastermind this "war" because they need troubles inside and outside the country to justify the enormous budgets they have (30% of them are misused).

Who is asking the status quo on the border is Cambodia.

Cambodia DID NOT apply with the Unesco BEFORE to have signed an agreement with the Thai gvt in April 2008. They would not have applied if Thailand had not agreed first. The problem is that Thailand did not keep its word and changed his mind in June 2008 for internal reasons.

Yes, Cambodia demands sovereignty on the disputed land and BEGS Thailand to speed the process of demarcation. If no agreement cannot be found, Cambodia agrees to ask help from a third party. Thailand refuses to settle the problem because it wants to keep this area in high tension for obvious reasons (troubles = big military budgets).

Good post. Ignore the revisionist mate.

I seem to remember a certain group of paramilitary fascists wearing yellow shirts trying to force the Thai government into rescinding their promise to honour the Cambodian UNESCO bid.

Why can the the Khmers be so thick. Don't they realise that the Temple is in Siam? How many times must the Siamese tell them that?

You are right!

Why do the Khmers cannot understand that if they still have some territories, a kind of "country", if they are still alive (not as human being like Siamese, of course, let say as worms), it's just because the Siamese in their large kindness, allow it? They should be grateful... and silent.

Typical.

Instead of answering a simple quesiton - why do Cambodians think that ancient culture of Khmers who happened to live in present day Thailand should not be preserved - they start ranting about all their old wounds and centuries of injustice.