Concrete Floor Polishing?

Tokay

We want to take out the tiles and have the concrete floors polished but have NO idea where to look. A few of the local guys looked at our photos and said yes but admit they have never done it before... no thanks.

Anyone done this and ended up with a good result?

• 2 weeks later...
We want to take out the tiles and have the concrete floors polished but have NO idea where to look. A few of the local guys looked at our photos and said yes but admit they have never done it before... no thanks.

If the tiles were originally installed the traditional way with a thin bed of concrete then you'll be pulling most of the concrete up in chunks when you attempt to take out the tiles and will ultimately have to lay another bed of concrete.

If you can build on top of the existing floor (rough it up first with a grinder for better adhesion and/or use an epoxy or latex based concrete mix) by adding a minimum of 2" then you can finish it off with terrazzo which is essentially, polished concrete with colored rocks & white cement....OR, just tear it all out and pour another slab with a slick trowel finish (not the traditional way of finishing the surface with a thin mix of cement & water that leaves the surface weak) but first using a wood trowel, then a a slick, finishing trowel, then you can polish it with a 'terrazzo polishing machine" if you want or if the concrete surface is done properly, you won't need the machine.

There are always several ways to complete the same job. If you live in Isaan, it's usually "Mock Ngai", i.e., fast & dirty as they say in the west. If you want it done right, the first time, then you must hire a competent & skilled crew to do the job or babysit & train as you go along although that would be my last choice.

• 2 weeks later...

If the tiles were originally installed the traditional way with a thin bed of concrete then you'll be pulling most of the concrete up in chunks when you attempt to take out the tiles and will ultimately have to lay another bed of concrete.

If you can build on top of the existing floor (rough it up first with a grinder for better adhesion and/or use an epoxy or latex based concrete mix) by adding a minimum of 2" then you can finish it off with terrazzo which is essentially, polished concrete with colored rocks & white cement....OR, just tear it all out and pour another slab with a slick trowel finish (not the traditional way of finishing the surface with a thin mix of cement & water that leaves the surface weak) but first using a wood trowel, then a a slick, finishing trowel, then you can polish it with a 'terrazzo polishing machine" if you want or if the concrete surface is done properly, you won't need the machine.

There are always several ways to complete the same job. If you live in Isaan, it's usually "Mock Ngai", i.e., fast & dirty as they say in the west. If you want it done right, the first time, then you must hire a competent & skilled crew to do the job or babysit & train as you go along although that would be my last choice.

Good info. Thank you.

I've yet to find anyone in Pattaya that I feel comfortable with to do the job. At first they are all puzzled and don't understand why I would want it. lol Once we get past that, they *think* they can do it.

• 9 months later...

Apologies for reviving such an ancient thread, but does anyone know more about this. I'm very much interested in putting coloured and polished concrete floors throughout my home when I build it. Anyone up near Chiang Mai who has done this, or even seen it done?

Thanks.

Apologies for reviving such an ancient thread, but does anyone know more about this. I'm very much interested in putting coloured and polished concrete floors throughout my home when I build it. Anyone up near Chiang Mai who has done this, or even seen it done?

Thanks.

Yes, I've done it many times over the past 35 years, no, I'm not near Chiangmai

Thanks.

Yes, I've done it many times over the past 35 years, no, I'm not near Chiangmai

Care to expand Excalibur?....I'd also be interested to learn your M.O. and how things came out.....

Come on Excaliber, help us out here! Any more info would be much appreciated.

To begin with, if you want polished concrete floors you'll need to pour & finish the concrete a different way than how it's mostly done here.

Usually when concrete is poured here for floors, patios, etc., a pretty wet mix is thrown in and it self-levels due to the consistency of the mix, e.g., too wet....after it drys a bit, a stiff broom is used to etch the top for applying a thin bed of concrete if tiles are to be installed. If nothing is going on top of the finished slab, a mix of cement & water (slurry) is mixed to finish off the top with a semi-slick finish.....

Ok....if you plan to polish the concrete you don't want the thin slurry mix but instead, a troweled finish after properly working the concrete to allow the 'soup' to rise to the top surface where it's troweled smooth.......

Since you haven't even built your house yet you have plenty of time to research this as there is tons of information on the internet...."concrete finishing", "polished concrete", etc.

During the polishing process an internal impregnating sealer is applied. The sealer sinks into the concrete and is invisible to the naked eye. It not only protects the concrete from the inside out, it also hardens and densifies the concrete. This eliminates the need for a topical coating, which reduces maintenance significantly (versus if you had a coating on it).

You can polish the concrete either wet or dry. Obviously, the wet way is less dusty and easier on the diamond grit pads.

when it's done you don't need a sealer. If it's done properly the concrete will have an everlasting shine without any wax build up, etc., etc.

Best advice is to do your research, as mentioned, tons and tons of information on the internet. finding some of the materials may not be easy but not impossible....getting people who understand how to properly pour and finish the concrete may be a chore !!!

• 1 year later...

Yeh I'm also looking for someone to do polished concrete, i see these guys do it: rockretethai dot com but only around bkk unless it's a huge job.

I'm in Khon Kaen, anyone know of companies that do this in Isaan?