Tsunami Victims Ready To Sue USA And Thailand

george

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this lawsuit is not so frivilious like some may think. for one thing there was something like 1.5 hours to be given notice. ok the people of sumatra were goners unless they would of installed special cement protectors like they have in japan.

from my 2 years of geology classes that when a earthquake happens in the ocean the amount that one side of the ocean floor moves will translate into that high of a wave when it hits the shore or greater. and most probably from the magniute of they knew already they could of figured out just how big it would be. so for there to be a 10 metre tsunami the ocean floor on one side is now 10 metres higher than the other. it was sure a tsunami would come although knowing exactly where may not of been known.

if i knew this from just 2 years of high school geology why did not any one else in thailand know this? dont they even have anybody employed with a high school diploma? safety first right not f'ing greed. i am sure that if they had given a warning an evacuated for just 1 f'ing lousy day and nothing happened that the falangs staying there would of not been angry. or they could even just got on the phone and called all the big resorts to tell the to make an anouncement to the guests that there may be a tsunami happen up to you if you wish to live dangerously.

also to mention was that there was a story that someone in the geological dept wanted to give a warning but was refused permission to because to save tourism dollars or euros for you europeans.

also to state a fact that many of the resorts were built way way to close to the ocean and actually laws in thailand have been broken so another possible negligance area. and perhaps to go after international hotel chains what is there excuse?

did you know that in i think the year was 1962 there was a tsunami in hilo, hawaii that there was a tsunami warning given and most people did head to higher ground. but yet some 200 people still died cause they wanted to see it up close and boy they sure did get a great view.

We have all seen human nature at its best and worst. How many people when confronted with a dangerous situation ignore it, and even venture into it. Imagine a warning was sent in time, "oh! a tsunami, an once in a lifetime chance to see one! " How many people do you think would grab their camera and walk out into the now empty sea bed to get a better look? You did read the reports of foreigners who were sunning themselves around the pools after the tragedy, who were unconcerned about the rescue efforts that were going on around about them. And don't forget about the officer who was tossing down a drink and complaining that there were not any girls around to chit chat with him. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Well even if the local authorities had been given a warning of what was going to happen ..... what would have been done ... NOTHING !!! Would you have believed it if someone phoned you when you were on duty and said that a big wave was coming your way and you should evacuate everyone within 200 metres of the beach! ... I don't think so!!

You would possibly have got more people out to have a look at what was happening !!

Up until it happened nobody had a clue as to how powerful a tsunami could be!

No, wasn't it an act of God?

Not sure that the Court would agree with God (in fact Godly Acts don't prejudice the Law if humans can predict them) , I think God and the Law would tell Sofitel to get its clients - for whom it has uberimae fidae duty, off the beach, once the quake news was issued.

It WAS a very very big quake. Ignore it at your legal peril.

Come on George - it was posted here even before the tsunami that it was the 5th biggest quake ever.

The wave was slamming our Thai shores half an hour before a drop even touched the Sofitel.

I acknowledge what people are saying about 'what could you have done in 20 minutes' or 'wasn't a receding tide cool !' ...yes, sure, but that don't stand up in the Courthouse!!!

This is a SIGNIFICANT issue for hotel chains and the Thai Government, and they should hire good lawyers to defend themselves.

Edited by The_Eye_Of_Sauron

Even if they did get a warning,  Would they even have listened to it??  Also how far could they have gotten??  according to what  I have read this Tsunami was travelling 500 miles an hour??  Or am I wrong?

I also  have this to say  the  Cayman Islands also  had a Tsunami during the  United States  Hurricane season and  I didn't see a single report on it,  My Grandmother is from there and she was wondering why it was not reported at all.

I  guess 2 People dying is not  enough to  have a major story on.  :o

these people  don't want  compensation,  that's funny

The tsunami may have been traveeling at 500 mph at sea but it still took 6 hours to reach parts of India and Sri Lanka, PLENTY of time for a warning.

Ok,

So America should get sued because they have a technology that others do not have....  makes sense.  Tell you what...  to all those other nations that lack the technology...  America has just decided to pull the plug on their warning system. Now nobody has it, makes everything fair, Eh?

Yes, they had the technology, and decided to be selfish barstools and not share thier knowledge of an upcoming disaster.

This lawsuit is a joke.  They want compensation, this is not about teaching any country a lesson.  NOAA knew, doesn't mean they are liable.  A Tsunami warning system was built for the Pacific Ocean, maybe countries in SEA or Indian ocean or whatever should have spent a few hundred million dollars to build their own and not rely on NOAA.  Thailand can afford it, Malaysia can afford it, India has nuclear weapons and has a surplus budget so they can definitely afford it.  Why sue NOAA?  Is the US the only country that can detect earthquakes?  Japan which is closer than the US to the region is not responsible, they have technology that can detect earthquakes also?  What a joke.

The point is that tsunamis in the Indian ocean are a freak occurance, there really was no need at the time for the system, or so everyone thought. If Japan did have prior warning then they should be held liable too.

This isn't about money (maybe for a few heartless 'bleeps') but about shaming people who could of saved lives and didn't.

How can any government be at fault when this was act of mother nature??

Sorry, irrelevant in Court.

If the thing hit with such speed that there was no chance of warning people then, yes, an act of God would be a get-out, but there was a lot of time between the quake being known and the effects hitting LoS and other regions (the Sumatrans were stuffed, that WAS an act of God). The Thai government may WELL be liable, not for the earthquake itself, but for its failure to get the message out.

Whether or not people would listen to someone shouting "Get off the beach" is neither here not there, they weren't given the chance to ignore any warning and, therefore, didn't stand a chance.

A massive quake registering 9 plus was registered in Thailand almost immediately. The powers that be from the met office happend to be at a meeting in Cha Am at the time, and were notified. They decided to do NOTHING, in the event that it might damage tourism!! Well it's certainly done that, even though they didn't issue a warning. IMHO they are 100% liable, and should be sued till they bleed. Useless pack of sodlings!!

A massive quake registering 9 plus was registered in Thailand almost immediately. The powers that be from the met office happend to be at a meeting in Cha Am at the time, and were notified. They decided to do NOTHING, in the event that it might damage tourism!! Well it's certainly done that, even though they didn't issue a warning. IMHO they are 100% liable, and should be sued till they bleed. Useless pack of sodlings!!

Seconded M.man

LOL...the sewers of all sewers "USA" are sewed......not that it is a good thing, but somewhere it is ok.....just to know for the dudes that they aren't ruling the world..

So - why should the US be responsible for something that happened on the other side of the world? They aren't ruling it, right? The whole lawsuit issue was bound to happen. I just can't see why the US should be on the receiving end.

I about laughed when I read about the "Lawsuit". Obviously these morons don't realize that they are filing in the wrong US Court District (New York). They will most likely get tossed out on their tails as the East Coast courts don't play games. Now if they really wanted to win this crock then they would file in the 9th US District Court (Northern California, home of bezerkly) where all of the stupid and rediculous lawsuits preval.

Anyway, filing a lawsuit against NOAA who did issue warnings both directly (to those whom it could actually contact) and indirectly (through other members of the PTWS who could make contact, ie...Oz notified the Jakarta government several times) to the affected area is just blatantly stupid.

The local and national governmental offcials who chose to ignor these warnings are the ones who need to be put on notice and removed. Good luck getting that done in LOS. That could be why they are wanting to do this in the US even if it isn't a matter for the US Courts.

Being an "Act of God" that has only occured in the IO a handful of times in recorded history will tend to make most people ignor the warnings. They will instead see it as a curiosity and rush out to go see it for themselves, which is sad.

Earthquakes are common in the area but because of the geologic structure of the various fault lines Tsunami's aren't. I really think the western tourists (who read about and see coverage of these things in the media and in school) as well as the hotel proprieters (who should be looking out for their guests best interests period) should have been a bit more alert when the "tide" washed out at an unscheduled time and to such a severe degree.

Curiosity killed the cat.

[/quote

It's absolutely amazing how much "hind-sight" some people have. If the earthquake and ensuing tsunami could have been predicted by someone, then we needed those same people around when the volcano erupted in the Phillipines, killing hundreds, and when Mt Vesuvius erupted in Italy, burying the city of Pompei, and when the fire broke out in the hotel in Jomtein, killing hundreds. Wow.....you guys are great.....you should be prognosticators yourselves then you could put the blame where it belongs..... even BEFORE it happens.

Not sure if Austria and Germany have a history of supporting frivolous lawsuits, or if their people have caught on to the American way of suing everything that moves for financial gain.

Just a sad world fact that if you win a case the only way we normally measure damages are in financial terms.

Amongst all the spin, denials, accusations, it would be nice to see a proper legal enquiry, put some squirming asses on the block and get some binding recommendations from a court, if that's possible.

Might make the plaintiffs feel that their relatives didn't die in vain and give them something to hold onto.

If there's something to be found, let them find it. Then if they win cash, donate it.

Those Loveable Thai officials and other folks.... too much time . not enough brain power.. .It was like the time the Thai govt wanted to sue the U.S. Tobaco makers for cancer.. while the govt supports it own smoking monopoly.

It is sad that the funds go missing..it is sad the big game continues.. These good minded folks.. need to get back to the people.. and help out...

Always something..

It's absolutely amazing how much "hind-sight" some people have. If the earthquake and ensuing tsunami could have been predicted by someone, then we needed those same people around when the volcano erupted in the Phillipines, killing hundreds, and when Mt Vesuvius erupted in Italy, burying the city of Pompei, and when the fire broke out in the hotel in Jomtein, killing hundreds. Wow.....you guys are great.....you should be prognosticators yourselves then you could put the blame where it belongs..... even BEFORE it happens.

Not sure what point you're making? While no one predicted the timing of the event there was certainly enough time to alert people, with the exception of Sumatra.

Edited by Dickie

So - why should the US be responsible for something that happened on the other side of the world? They aren't ruling it, right?

If ANYONE, a private person, Institution or any Country at all, would have the knowledge that 'possibly' many thousands or hundreds of thousands COULD die, do you than have a MORAL responsibility to, at least, DO something and inform the Countries or Region?

YES OR NO?

LaoPo

So - why should the US be responsible for something that happened on the other side of the world? They aren't ruling it, right?

If ANYONE, a private person, Institution or any Country at all, would have the knowledge that 'possibly' many thousands or hundreds of thousands COULD die, do you than have a MORAL responsibility to, at least, DO something and inform the Countries or Region?

YES OR NO?

LaoPo

so, why didn't you DO something and inform everybody?

there are over 2 billion people on this planet, and many of them heard about the earthquake. people all over the world.

..why don't they sue the WORLD instead of just the US and Thailand?

seems like there is an hidden agenda playing out here. ...like maybe someone hates the usa. right?

Even if the USGS knew they have already stated that there is no way for them to contact the countries involved. But what the hey, sue the US everyone else does. Don't worry about the Thai Government that sat on its collective arse and did absolutely NOTHING even though they also knew in plenty of time. On the same note, B2m missing form relief funds? Gee why so small an amount.

Seconded M.man

The thing that stays in my mind was a touching story in the Nation a few days after the tsunami.A young lady working for the Thai met office upon learning that the tsunami was coming phoned her father who is a fisherman and told him that if anything strange starts to happen head straight to deep water.

Well as the father was fishing he noticed he could see the coral below his boat.Normally the water at that area is too deep to see the bottom so he headed offshore and saved his life.

Yes sue the pants of this dishonest Thai govt.They knew exactly what would happen and didnt raise any warning through sheer incompetance.I should like the young woman in this story to be promoted to the top of the met office.She has shown her worth.

Lets just forget all the b*ll.sh*t about suing who, when, where or why - this is just a typical class action concocted by a bunch of legal parasites as a money making exercise. Pure and simple - it has nothing to do with principle - laying blame or ensuring it doesn't happen again.

LOL...the sewers of all sewers "USA" are sewed......not that it is a good thing, but somewhere it is ok.....just to know for the dudes that they aren't ruling the world..

EXCUSE ME!!!??? What "SEWER of LIFE " did you crawel out of???

You can't be a American.. or at least a true blue American..

The lawsuit is what it is, a "freedom" to voice one opinion in America..

Thank the powers that may be... you can do such a thing in a land where freedom rules.. Here in Mickey Mouse land what freedom do you really have???

MONEY buys me everything I want here.. but true honesty from the people..do not make me laugh any harder than I can.. Here in LIARLAND do you really think you could even make a statement??? Hardly... AMERICA ROCKS

Oh what a lot of heat.

Like Sauron I was on line Boxing Day morning and saw the first reports of the quake..said to the wife:

"If the quake is that big, there are going to be waves in Phuket"

She said

"...should you ring Wan?"..the guy who lives in our house in Phuket..I did but phone off..

"Anyway", I said, "the Met Dept. must be issuing warnings"

If it is true that they were all cosy in Cha Am and really knew and chose to do nothing as reported, then I believe an action is appropriate, though I cannot see that it will do much good. Better to support Smith getting on with his work and better to find ways to rein in corruption in matters of land use for hotels...and develop some plan for sustainable tourism that supports local people in the S. ....but today in Thaksin's Thailand?? I fear not.

Some wag noted that T did not want any foreign aid as then there was then no pressure for accountability for moneys received, stashed in cardboard boxes and 'mislaid'.

I cannot see how NOAA has a liability.

While quakes do count as acts of God it was a well known and ongoing concern in Phuket amongst people who lived there, like us, that an event such as this was a distinct possibility. While it is true that tsunamis are rare in the Indian/Andaman Ocean the whole area from the Burmese islamds down to Indonesia is unstable geologically. It was one of the reasons why, with small kids, we left Phuket...was talking about this on my weblog a year ago...not much consolation

This was a 9.0 earthquake. It didn't take America's hi-tech equipment to feel the earthquake. I would guess that thousands of people in Phuket could feel the earthquake. Maybe they should sue every person in Phuket who felt the earthquake and didn't warn people.

Maybe they should sue every person who knew what a tsunami was and how it was caused by earthquakes and yet didn't find out if the Andaman region had a proper tsunami warning system.

Maybe they should sue all the european nations for not warning their citizens that this area did not have proper tsunami sensing equipment and was therefore dangerous.

If they didn't know about the earthquake or the effects of tsunamis. Maybe they should sue themselves for being negligent about learning about these risks and taking appropriate steps to protect themselves against them.

If these people didn't have enough foresight to warn others than why should they demand this of everyone else.

There was no malicious intent here. No one wanted to see hundreds of thousands of people die.

If negligence is to be proven, it can be proven for every person that felt the earthquake. I felt the earthquake that morning and didn't run to check the size of it until I heard that the tidal waves had struck the phuket shore. Perhaps I was negligent and should be sued as well.

If I had more foresight, I would have run to the internet to check the size of the earthquake. In California, I always did this but my internet was connected 100% of the time. Maybe I should sue the internet companies for not providing internet at a cheaper rate. If I had checked the internet and seen it was centered many hundreds of miles away, perhaps I would have considered the possibility of tsunamis as I knew very well that these were a possibility. Or perhaps I would have just thought "that is a ###### big earthquake! I hope everyone there is OK."

Blame can be thrown around easily. Negligence can be proven for every individual and every country involved. A lawsuit could encompass every individual on the planet for lacking enough foresight to prevent this from occuring. I don't think the US and Thailand hold a monopoly on faulty intelligence.

.....it was a well known and ongoing concern in Phuket amongst people who lived there, like us, that an event such as this was a distinct possibility.....

I don't recall anyone ever talking about tsunamis before Dec 26th. I've lived here nearly a year and a half. Maybe I should get out more.

.....it was a well known and ongoing concern in Phuket amongst people who lived there, like us, that an event such as this was a distinct possibility.....

I don't recall anyone ever talking about tsunamis before Dec 26th. I've lived here nearly a year and a half. Maybe I should get out more.

I hadn't heard anything about earthquakes in Phuket. Many people didn't even know what was happening and why the earth was shaking.

No one mentioned tsunamis at all.

If the earthquake and ensuing tsunami could have been predicted by someone,
Not a question of 'prediction'

- the wave hit down south - and worked its way northwards (at leisurely pace).....taxi drivers at Phuket airport were told to head north to Khao Lak as there ws flooding in Patong.

There was no guesswork needed at that stage - it was actually HAPPENING !

People in Khao Lak could easily have been cleared from the path of an oncoming catastrophe that was not hypothetical but very very real.

I recall saying at the time that the 'we didn't want to hurt tourism' is a quote that someone will live to regret.

There was no malicious intent here

You can still be found legally negligent even with an absence of malice. I.e, incompetance.

Edited by The_Moog