Buddha Statues

gk10002000

I am aware of the antiquities prohibitions, but I want to be sure one can take those little buddha key chains, plastic statues etc. they sell everywhere. Seems like a silly question to ask, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks

Yes you can, but would suggest you dont send any statues in the post....My wife sent some to my relatives overseas and tried to post them and the box was returned to the post office she sent it from, it appears they X-rayed the box, seen the statues and refused to forward on, in the end she had to take the statues out the box and re-post all the other cr*p that was in the box...so not a happy bunny has she had to pay for the EMS twice... :)

I am aware of the antiquities prohibitions, but I want to be sure one can take those little buddha key chains, plastic statues etc. they sell everywhere. Seems like a silly question to ask, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks

Yes you can, but would suggest you dont send any statues in the post....My wife sent some to my relatives overseas and tried to post them and the box was returned to the post office she sent it from, it appears they X-rayed the box, seen the statues and refused to forward on, in the end she had to take the statues out the box and re-post all the other cr*p that was in the box...so not a happy bunny has she had to pay for the EMS twice... :)

This is exactly what I am worried about. Did she ever mail the statues out again? Did she send them separately the second time? What about if I put one or two souvenirs in my luggage? Do I get pulled off the airplane or is my luggage left behind at the airport? Why would there be any confusion about modern day souvenirs?

It is forbidden to take or send Buddha images out of Thailand. In Thailand Buddha images are not souvenirs, but respected altar objects, which have to be placed at certain positions.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...?menuNme=Travel

If Thai customs find Buddha statues in your luggage, they certainly will be taken away. If you have to pay a fine or not is up to the customs officer and your behaviour.

It is forbidden to take or send Buddha images out of Thailand. In Thailand Buddha images are not souvenirs, but respected altar objects, which have to be placed at certain positions.

If Thai customs find Buddha statues in your luggage, they certainly will be taken away. If you have to pay a fine or not is up to the customs officer and your behaviour.

Forget the word souvenir. Substitute whatever word you want. There are hundreds if not thousands of llittle plastic buddhas for sale on every street. Are you saying that nobody is allowed to take them out of the country?

I am aware of the words of the law, but I find it incredibly difficult to believe it applies to all the little modern day sculptures and plastic castings, and laser wood carving buddha statues that are sold there for tourist. I have a hard time believing that even Thailand would set up such a large sales effort just to try and catch tourists trying to take these modern day objects home.

Are you sure the words of that law apply here?

The wife packed a decent sized one in her siutcase flying out of Thailand with no problems.

I have packed the same one in a cardboard box leaving the U.S back to Thailand.

It must be ok for a Thai to do but not a Farang :)

Forget the word souvenir. Substitute whatever word you want. There are hundreds if not thousands of llittle plastic buddhas for sale on every street. Are you saying that nobody is allowed to take them out of the country?

I am aware of the words of the law, but I find it incredibly difficult to believe it applies to all the little modern day sculptures and plastic castings, and laser wood carving buddha statues that are sold there for tourist. I have a hard time believing that even Thailand would set up such a large sales effort just to try and catch tourists trying to take these modern day objects home.

Are you sure the words of that law apply here?

Bull. The last time i checked you are allowed to take 2 statues per passport and has been the case sicne i first arrived in 1995. You do have to go to the department of fine arts and get a permit first. At least that is what the law says. I have personally taken out hundreds in my luggage and never been questioned. It used to be illegal to take out any buddha statues but they have changed that law. I have exported thousands. A visit to the department of fine arts to get a permit is the way to go. It is illegal to export a partial buddha though. No heads, no headless bodies, no hands etc. The little key chains he is talking about probably will not be bothered unless he has a whole suitcase full. Then again he could get a customs agent that needs some extra cash. Customs are well known for not abiding by the law and charging more than the Tariff Codes state.

I had no trouble taking the smaller ones as I was wearing them on me. If you are just taking 1 or 2, try wearing them on your neck, they will most likely not be taken away from you at customs this way.

Just keep in mind they are religious aritfacts, even the plastic ones. I mean, would you buy a jesus on a cross for your home just because it looks nice?

as long as the statue is not of archiological value you won't get in trouble. You should be aware you might if the height exceeds 20 or 30cm. You always should ask and buy from a reliable source.

These are my own experiences and I't like to remark if you are travelling with a Thai you should not have a problem because you have "their" Buddha in your hand luggage.

Edited by webfact

as long as the statue is not of archiological value you won't get in trouble. You should be aware you might if the hight exceeds 20 or 30cm. In that case you always can ask if you buy from a reliable source.

These are my own experiences and I't like to remark if you are travelling with a Thai you should not have a problem because you have "their" Buddha in your hand luggage.

This is the answer I want, saying that if they are not archeological in origin, and think that is the intent and reasonable interpretation of the law, but many people seem to think there are issues with ANY buddha image.

But, as I have learned on my numerous trips to Thailand, you rarely will get a complete and unambiguous answer on many things.

Thanks for the response.

I have seen a room at the airport full with small Buddha statues, which were taken away by the custom.

If you don't believe, call them and ask there, at the customs dept. at one of Thai intern. airports.

Thanks

This is exactly what I am worried about. Did she ever mail the statues out again? Did she send them separately the second time? What about if I put one or two souvenirs in my luggage? Do I get pulled off the airplane or is my luggage left behind at the airport? Why would there be any confusion about modern day souvenirs?

She put them in her suitcase and took them with her when we went to go and visit the relatives, didnt try posting them again

I have seen a room at the airport full with small Buddha statues, which were taken away by the custom.

If you don't believe, call them and ask there, at the customs dept. at one of Thai intern. airports.

siiiiigh. So millions of statues for sale, yet you can not take them home? Or do they just try and catch the tourists that take ones that are too big, or take dozens home? Selling of buddha statues is a tourist trap? Again, I am talking about modern day ones, cast today that are for sale. Wood, stone, cement, etc, for the house, as well as small ones to carry on my person or give as gifts.

I have a hard time believing that one of the bigger tourist sales industries would fall under the export of buddha icons limits. Then again, maybe they just want you to spend money on paperwork? But that would just guarantee that you would not go to the trouble of buying the statue.

But, that is why I started this topic.

Thanks.

like to remark if you are travelling with a Thai you should not have a problem because you have "their" Buddha in your hand luggage.

Guess this is the reason my Mrs never got sprung at the airport with 4 statues then.. :)

[quote name='wolfmanjack' date='2009-06-28 10:20:51' post='2835471'

Bull. The last time i checked you are allowed to take 2 statues per passport and has been the case sicne i first arrived in 1995. You do have to go to the department of fine arts and get a permit first. At least that is what the law says. I have personally taken out hundreds in my luggage and never been questioned. It used to be illegal to take out any buddha statues but they have changed that law. I have exported thousands. A visit to the department of fine arts to get a permit is the way to go. It is illegal to export a partial buddha though. No heads, no headless bodies, no hands etc. The little key chains he is talking about probably will not be bothered unless he has a whole suitcase full. Then again he could get a customs agent that needs some extra cash. Customs are well known for not abiding by the law and charging more than the Tariff Codes state.

Correct.

Permission to export Buddha images has to be obtained at the Fine Arts Department.

So, before you buy that 'unique' piece, let the shop arrange the permission.

1. Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed.

(more information contact to 0 2628 5032)

2. Reproductions of antiquities can also be exported with licenses.

3. Procedures to obtain a license for export of antiquities or Buddha images:

3.1 The following documents should be produced together with the application form :

(a) two copies (3x5 inches) of front view photograph of the object(s)

(B ) a photocopy of the applicant's passport (in case of export of Buddha images the photocopy of passport must be certified as true copy by the related Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.)

3.2 Bring the object(s) and the documents to apply for a license at any of the following places:

(a) Office of Archaeology and National Museums, 81/1 Si Ayutthaya Road, Theves, Dusit, Bangkok, Tel: 0 2628 5032

(B ) Chiang Mai National Museum, Superhighway Road, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai, Tel : (053) 221-308

© Songkhla National Museum, 13/1 Jana Road, Tambon Bohyang, Amphoe Muang, Songkhla, Tel : (074) 311-728, 311-881

(d) Thalang National Museum, Tambon Si Sunthorn, Amphoe Thalang, Phuket, Tel : (076) 311-426

3.3 Please allow 4 working days for license issuing process.

Source: MFA

Tell it to the Thais who wear those awful gaudy massive buddha medallions around their neck when travelling overseas.....

Like everything else to do with customs and immigration it depends on who you are dealing with but luggage usually gets searched when entering a country not leaving. Wrap it up in your main bag and you should be fine.amulets,

As for amulets, you can wear it and they won't dare mess with you, a security wench was wanding me down one day and asked to see what was round my neck and she practically recoiled from my Buddha amulet, very amusing.

Edited by TexasRanger

Tell it to the Thais who wear those awful gaudy massive buddha medallions around their neck when travelling overseas.....

Like everything else to do with customs and immigration it depends on who you are dealing with but luggage usually gets searched when entering a country not leaving. Wrap it up in your main bag and you should be fine.amulets,

As for amulets, you can wear it and they won't dare mess with you, a security wench was wanding me down one day and asked to see what was round my neck and she practically recoiled from my Buddha amulet, very amusing.

Tex...so your saying you have one of those gaudy massive buddha medallions ??.... :)

Seen a few pseudo-Thai's (Long term Farangs) wearing them and they look like complete d*ckheads... :D

I can understand the prohibitation of any that could be classed as antiquities being banned, but any that are modern mass produced items should be no problem, but just how much more silly can the Thai bureaucracy get.

Edit in:

just looked on Ebay, over 3,000 Buddha's avilible for shipping to UK from Thailand, price from £0.01 to nearly £20,000.

Edited by Basil B

as long as the statue is not of archiological value you won't get in trouble. You should be aware you might if the height exceeds 20 or 30cm. You always should ask and buy from a reliable source.

Errr yes, but what if you buy a copy and Thai customs maintain it's ancient and then confiscate it?

Bye Bye Buddha. Happened to a few clients of mine all departing Phuket.

Tex...so your saying you have one of those gaudy massive buddha medallions ??.... :)

Seen a few pseudo-Thai's (Long term Farangs) wearing them and they look like complete d*ckheads... :D

No, mine is a small amulet worn beneath my shirt, but as a wind up merchant myself I do appreciate your attempt to get a rise out of me.

You do have to go to the department of fine arts and get a permit first. At least that is what the law says. I have personally taken out hundreds in my luggage and never been questioned. It used to be illegal to take out any buddha statues but they have changed that law. I have exported thousands. A visit to the department of fine arts to get a permit is the way to go. It is illegal to export a partial buddha though. No heads, no headless bodies, no hands etc. The little key chains he is talking about probably will not be bothered unless he has a whole suitcase full. Then again he could get a customs agent that needs some extra cash. Customs are well known for not abiding by the law and charging more than the Tariff Codes state.

Correct.

Permission to export Buddha images has to be obtained at the Fine Arts Department.

So, before you buy that 'unique' piece, let the shop arrange the permission.

For the new items you need a date stamped on the back. You can export antiques (or unique items) and the process is the same as a new item. You have to get a permit before you go to the airport.

Edited by wolfmanjack

Errr yes, but what if you buy a copy and Thai customs maintain it's ancient and then confiscate it?

Bye Bye Buddha. Happened to a few clients of mine all departing Phuket.

Be safe. Get a permit. They can jail you for trying to take one out of the country without a permit.

Back ontopic: Why not? Souvenirs are souvenirs.

That is the whole point, they are not souvenirs they are religious artifacts Thais respect the images and have no desire to see them used as another thread indicates in a Shoeshop with shoes dangling round the neck.

Personally I have taken the Buddah back with me that my wife and I had before we split up and although the customs officer saw it understood that I respected its value. Unfortunately it was stolen from me back in Australia so I hope has bought good karma to the thief

The last time i checked you are allowed to take 2 statues per passport and has been the case sicne i first arrived in 1995.

Do you have a link to verify that information?

The last time i checked you are allowed to take 2 statues per passport and has been the case sicne i first arrived in 1995.

This information will answer many questions

Instruction on the Export of Antiquities or Buddha Images from the Kingdom of Thailand

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

1. Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed.

2. Reproductions of antiquities can also be exported with licenses.

3. Procedures to obtain a license for export of antiquities or Buddha images:

3.1 The following documents ahould be produced together with the application form :

- two copies (3x5 inches) of front view photograph of the object(s)

- a photocopy of the applicant's passport (in case of export of Buddha images the photocopy of passport must be certified as true copy by the related Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.)

3.2 Bring the object(s) and the documents to apply for a license at any of the following places:

- Office of Archaeology and National Museums, 81/1 Si Ayutthaya Road, Theves, Dusit, Bangkok, Tel: 0 2628 5032

- Chiang Mai National Museum, Superhighway Road, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai, Tel : (053) 221-308

- Songkhla National Museum, 13/1 Jana Road, Tambon Bohyang, Amphoe Muang, Songkhla, Tel : (074) 311-728, 311-881

- Thalang National Museum, Tambon Si Sunthorn, Amphoe Thalang, Phuket, Tel : (076) 311-426

3.3 Please allow 4 working days for license issuing process.

This information will answer many questions

Instruction on the Export of Antiquities or Buddha Images from the Kingdom of Thailand

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Kindly check post#16

:)