Buddha Statues

gk10002000

The last time i checked you are allowed to take 2 statues per passport and has been the case sicne i first arrived in 1995.

Do you have a link to verify that information?

This information will answer many questions

Instruction on the Export of Antiquities or Buddha Images from the Kingdom of Thailand

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

1. Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed.

(more information contact to 0 2628 5032)

Kindly check post#16

:D

thx...I'm getting old... :)

The last time i checked you are allowed to take 2 statues per passport and has been the case sicne i first arrived in 1995.

Do you have a link to verify that information?

This information will answer many questions

Instruction on the Export of Antiquities or Buddha Images from the Kingdom of Thailand

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

1. Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed.

(more information contact to 0 2628 5032)

2. Reproductions of antiquities can also be exported with licenses.

3. Procedures to obtain a license for export of antiquities or Buddha images:

3.1 The following documents ahould be produced together with the application form :

- two copies (3x5 inches) of front view photograph of the object(s)

- a photocopy of the applicant's passport (in case of export of Buddha images the photocopy of passport must be certified as true copy by the related Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.)

3.2 Bring the object(s) and the documents to apply for a license at any of the following places:

- Office of Archaeology and National Museums, 81/1 Si Ayutthaya Road, Theves, Dusit, Bangkok, Tel: 0 2628 5032

- Chiang Mai National Museum, Superhighway Road, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai, Tel : (053) 221-308

- Songkhla National Museum, 13/1 Jana Road, Tambon Bohyang, Amphoe Muang, Songkhla, Tel : (074) 311-728, 311-881

- Thalang National Museum, Tambon Si Sunthorn, Amphoe Thalang, Phuket, Tel : (076) 311-426

3.3 Please allow 4 working days for license issuing process.

OK, so I pay 300 baht and get a few small plastic buddhas in let's say Pattaya, or better yet at the airport on my way home. Now, do you really expect people to then somehow go get some licenses? If anybody has seen plastic buddhas get taken away or tourists hassled because they bought them, gave a local merchant his livlihood, please do post about that.

This is totally nuts and just about guarantees I will not buy anything like that there, or anything else for that matter. In nine trips all I have bought is a few t-shirts. Policies like they state above, pretty much turn me off to a lot of other things just on principal. I don't need to buy these things there. They can be bought in many places.

Thanks for the post.