First Saturday Night Barbecue Buffet At Don's

DonaldBattles

This Saturday July 4th is the first of the month Barbecue at Don's Cafe in Doi Hang. It is also the USA National Day.

This week we will be serving, sirloin steak, barbecued pork ribs, sausages, hamburgers, taco bar, and may other good things. The buffet will open at 18:00.

We will discontinue the sea food buffet until the rainy season is over.

This Saturday July 4th is the first of the month Barbecue at Don's Cafe in Doi Hang. It is also the USA National Day.

This week we will be serving, sirloin steak, barbecued pork ribs, sausages, hamburgers, taco bar, and may other good things. The buffet will open at 18:00.

We will discontinue the sea food buffet until the rainy season is over.

I thought that advertising was discouraged when posting on ThaiVisa. Or is the rule waived for Mr. Don as he is providing advertising revenue?

Wiley:

We are having the barbecue only on the first Saturday in each month. I am considering having the seafood buffet about 15 days later once per month. The rains slow things down for us.

Your message yesterday did not have your E-mail listed for the news letter. Please send it to me at [email protected].

Many thanks and best wishes.

Don Battles

081 894 6401

Don is a sponsor.

As such he is welcome to post special events, etc. Once in a while.

Hope that clarifies the issue. :D

Maybe it is a good suggestion to have a second own thread for Don. He has already one in the pinned section and his pleasant smile meets us

in his advertisement whenever we visit the Chiang Rai forum.

The meat looks good Don, but in all these years that you have your restaurant I only have been there three times.

Many people I talk to are not enthousiast about the service.

Nobody complains about the meat, on the contrary, people are enthousiastic, but about long waiting times, getting other things than you ordered

or not being served at the same time being more than one person.

The last time I went to your place I felt as if I was an intruder, entering in the middle of a meditation session. I left again.

I am afraid that you are creating an over-exposure that might have a contrary effect. People will think "oh, not again, does this Don never stop".

At this moment you have, aside of your advertisement six (6! :D ) threads running. About 25 % of the whole forum.

Why not combine them and ask the moderator to change the subtitle when there is something new happening.

There are many good steak houses in Chiang Rai and yours is one of them. I got a little bit the feeling that you are monopolizing the thing a little bit.

Maybe the users of this forum would like to have information about other places than Don's as well, just a thought.

By the way: the new one at Den Ha is nice too and we all know the Family House already

I hope Don, that you don't mind me saying this, but I might be something to think about for you.

I think the newsletter is a good idea, backed up by two threads and advertisement in this forum.

I would take out the pinned thread as well, because the pinned threads are more static and not inviting.

Look at the HHH thread. It pops up every month and even the non HHH members enjoy reading it because it is funny.

The same with the Chiang Rai United football thread. I think that if a new thread would be opened for every game, people would start to hate us.

Are you coming Saturday for the game against Tak? It's a great atmosphere!

I had dinner with the president of Chiangrai United recently and he actually suggested to go to your place. But it rained that evening so we decided for the Family House.

I wish you luck and will try your place soon again. I heard you have made some improvements.

Success!

Limbo :)

I am just coming home from a bicycle tour during which I passed Swiss Kurt and and his wife Oe's place opposite the Wat Kliang Wiang, close to the police station.

Kurt and Oe also have aside of their 'delicatessen' (yes, among many other things Swiss cheese that you don't have to carry as it can walk home on its own) also take-away food, of which I specially can recommend the goulash.

But also opposite the Wat Kliang Wiang and opposite Kurt's delicatessen you find on the corner the open restaurant the Treehouse. It opens at about five o'clock.

Their cook learned his art of cooking in Sweden, which you for instance notice very strongly when you order a pizza there. Many of us, not only the Swedes among us, consider this the best pizza place in town.

But the reason I mention this place, is that they are the only restaurant in town that serve Swedish style steaks like the Garl Gustav steak and, yes, now it comes : the unsurpassable 'plank'-steak.

The way that the steak is served, of course on a massive piece of dark wood, with dancing lines of lovely creamy mashed potatoe alongside, makes that you will never have to fight the temptation to start to eat to soon and burn your lips. Only the look at it is a joy, an irresistible joy for the eye and the meal itself thus conditions your stomach on forehand to embrace it.

The steak melts on your tongue, it is perfectly cut and exactly the way it should be, following general understanding to which I humbly add my two cents.

The service is excellent, welcoming young ladies and gentlemen, kind, acommodating and some of them, with studies abroad behind them, speaking perfect English.

The place itself is modernly styled, light, open, fresh, not overdone but balanced with some northern style details.

Prices between 120 and 150 Baht. The public: two third are young Thai urban professionals and one third foreign gourmets.

The Family house, most famous maybe for its ostrich and salmon steaks, but of course serving excellent pork and beefsteaks as well, adds a great ambiance to the happening of eating there. It's a wooden building in a garden with many trees, northern American style, high roof, open fire place (don't worry, the fire is only lit wintertime) and decorated with indian details and some remarkable collection of funny articles from the fifties.

The food is served on sissling hot iron plates, for safety reasons backed up with a big wooden one. Be carefull! The meat is soft and taste so well that the enormous size of the portions melts away as if it was snow on a hot summer day. Excellent! Prices beteen 160 for the pork and the most expensive is the ostrich at 220 Baht.

The service is quick, even if you are with more persons. Very few visitors, thus a place with maximum privacy. The visitors are mainly Thai, I actually, when I try to recollect, don't remember that I ever saw a foreigner there, though I know many who sometimes visit it.

Now they started also with smaller steaks for prices inbetween 80 and 100 Baht.

At Don's place I only once had steak at the occasion of a kind of buffet/BBQ and this was long ago. I remember that there were a lot of children and every time when I approached the buffet there were only small funny pieces left, so I had never the opportunity to estimate the quality of the meat of Don and the quality of the cooking of his staff. A BBQ is not really the moment to do so anyhow.

Talking about Don with friends (especially the American ones) I hear almost without exception that they are very satisfied with the quality of his meat (also the sausages must be great). Many of my friends that in earlier days bought their meat at Northern Farm seem to have switched to Don's. An alternative that a befriended and renowned international chef in Chiang Rai pointed out, is the Hi-meat in Big C. Also well cut and excellent quality.

I will try the steaks of Don soon. Maybe Wileycoyote, who has been asking for the location of Don's so many times now that he must be able to find it as easy as a blind horse without rider finds its way back to the stable, can give us an idea. What are the best times to go to Don for a steak, how are they, how are they served and how much are they? Is it true that it takes a very long time sometimes?

Anyhow, the locations of many restaurants in town you find in the pinned section of the forum. I actually think I was one of the first to explain where you could find Don's. Hm, I start feeling for a steak.

Sorry Don, I am going to bring the participating kids of Ban Pa Ngiew (the village where the Rai Mae Fah Luang is and that you pass on your way to Doi Hang where your place is) to the opening of the exhibition at Angkritsgallery. You know that Khun Sayarm also lives in this part of town. Are you coming as well?

lots of talk of eating meat meat meat. Whatever floats your boat.

I eat some chicken sometimes, when I go out (I don't cook meat within my house).

Perhaps it's best I don't go to new restaurants, as every time I find some place in C.Rai that I like, it winds up closing. It's happened about ten times over the years - various reasons. Hope I'm not a jinx.

It's known that Thai cuisine only has veges if they're in small increments, overcooked (or raw) and super spiced up.

Is there a farang food place in C.Rai area with ample fresh (organic!) veges that aren't overcooked and over-spiced? Could even be shishkabob. I'd be interested in that.

Is there a farang food place in C.Rai area with ample fresh (organic!) veges that aren't overcooked and over-spiced? Could even be shishkabob. I'd be interested in that.

In Den Ha , turn right at the traffic lights as if to go to Dons place on the road to Pattaya Noi . About 10 shops in on the left from the lights is a small Vietnamese restaurant. You can eat till your heart is content and stuff yourself with VEG.

Also half way down the road to Pattaya Noi , past the Army camp , there is another place doing Vietname food on the right hand side .

Also if you want to cook for yourself , in the BIG Tops supermarket near the Kings Traffic lights, the shop inside the department store , next to Tops sell nothing but organic Veg.

Also if you want to cook for yourself , in the BIG Tops supermarket near the Kings Traffic lights, the shop inside the department store , next to Tops sell nothing but organic Veg.

Hasnt been there for quite a while, on gov hospital road now

Hasnt been there for quite a while, on gov hospital road now

Yes, coming from the Paholyothin you pass the hospital, straight on at the traffic lights, San Kong Noi, about 1 kilometer further on the right, almost across the Bandit school, you will find a shop of the King's project. It's a green shop and everything is fresh there and of good quality.

At least they tell me, because personally I am not really into this rabbit thing.

The Hi-meat, recommended to me as being the best you can get in town by one of the few renowned international chefs of Chiang Rai, a European royalty cook, is produced in co-operation with the Kasetsart agricultural university. Only meat of animals that have been raised according to their norms gets the Hi-meat sticker on it.

It is the most professionally treated meat you can get, of excellent quality. It costs only a few negligible Bahts more.

You find it among the other fresh packed meat in Big C.

At your service,

PS: A Golden Tip:

Though Swiss Rico's hamburgers are great, the toppers remain of course the World Class Hamburgers of American Barry at the golf course at the old airport. These are the ones you should try, they are indeed worldclass! Add that Barry makes the best French fries in town and you now the rest.