Weightloss Thailand

laurah1

Im going to Thailand for a month this summer and I was wondering what the general thai diet consists of? I've heard its quite rich and fatty. Im currently in the middle of a weightloss program and have lost 2 stone so far and was hoping to continue this in Thailand or at least maintain it... Basically in your experience, am i likely to gain weight over there? I'l be quite active over there, jungle treks and so on, but at the moment Im running regularly so my activity levels will probably decrease. What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

x

Laurah1,

the food can be fatty OR not, it all depends on what you eat.  I personally love the fruit in Thailand.  So I will just eat a lot of fruit.  I don't like the heat, thus I eat less in hot weather.  My fiancee tries to stuff me with lots of stick rice, but I just say no.  I'm mainly in Bangkok and there are plenty of bbq stands and I get a skewer of chicken (two is good enough for light meal) for about 10-20 baht.  You can eat papaya salad (NO fat) or soup.  But I'm talking about street food vs restaurants. There you will have to be careful.

Plenty of 7-11s and 2 liter bottles of water are cheap.....

Oh Thai diet?  My fiancee just buys enough food for the next meal.  It's fresh ingredients.  Street vendors give small portions and I find it just right (I generally eat a lot here in the US).  I find thai food not as fatty as Chinese food, but definitely more spicy.  Remember tell them "Mai pet" for not spicy...

You should do fine

Not sure if I answered your question BUT I had to respond because you got me thinking about Thai food!

Im going to Thailand for a month this summer and I was wondering what the general thai diet consists of? I've heard its quite rich and fatty. Im currently in the middle of a weightloss program and have lost 2 stone so far and was hoping to continue this in Thailand or at least maintain it... Basically in your experience, am i likely to gain weight over there? I'l be quite active over there, jungle treks and so on, but at the moment Im running regularly so my activity levels will probably decrease. What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

x

A Thai diet is not fatty as you say. Look at most Thai's, most are not fat. It always depends on choice of the food you eat, just the same way you have lost your 2 stone.

Spicy food is good for your metabolism too. I eat whatever I want when in Thailand and always lose weight.

I also think this is particly because you sweat alot. I could eat alot of fastfood there, without gaining any weight, instead I lost weight.

Spicy food is good for your metabolism too. I eat whatever I want when in Thailand and always lose weight.

I also think this is particly because you sweat alot. I could eat alot of fastfood there, without gaining any weight, instead I lost weight.

I never, ever eat fast food! That is if you mean fast food in the traditional sense. Many of my favourite dishes can be prepared and cooked in 15-20 mins. I'm a gym junky though so I burn off a lot there. Which is great as otherwise I'd be fat as the proverbial...

Edited by suegha

Old luck you, you must have great metabolism :):D:D:D I gain weight just think about food. :D:D

I always put on weight in Thailand. But then again I eat a lot more fruit when there, drink more alcohol and eat more rice (even though 99% of the food we eat at home is Thai food we try to abstain from rice).

I just got back from a couple of months holiday in LOS and most of my clothes no longer fit! :D

these you can try:

- salads (many places offer both thai and foreign style salads

- soups (spicy ones) especially Tom Yam

- try the exotic fruits, many places offer fruit salads

- down south the seafood is fantastic

- stay away from BBQ's

Ohw and thai sweets are not too bad compared to sweets back home as they often contain cocnut milk and fruits and sticky rice

these you can try:

- salads (many places offer both thai and foreign style salads

- soups (spicy ones) especially Tom Yam

- try the exotic fruits, many places offer fruit salads

- down south the seafood is fantastic

- stay away from BBQ's

Ohw and thai sweets are not too bad compared to sweets back home as they often contain cocnut milk and fruits and sticky rice

Thai salads can have a lot of sugar and fruit is obviously full of sugar too. While fruit is great and very healthy I personally tend to eat a lot more than the recommended 2 pieces per day when I am in Thailand. This on top of the increase in rice really plays havoc on my waistline.

Why do you say stay away from BBQ's?

hi,

stick to soups and rice on the side,,my usual is tom yam gai with a plate of rice,,,mmmmmmmmm leave out all coconut milks...lots of lovely cheap fruit in thailand too...also at night i tend to stick to protein only like chicken and i buy that from the many cheap street vendors,,,

caution- stay well clear of chang beer,,blows me up like a barrel..i once put on 15kilo in 1 month drinking beer and all i was eating was thai spicey soup everyday...

I never, ever eat fast food! That is if you mean fast food in the traditional sense. Many of my favourite dishes can be prepared and cooked in 15-20 mins. I'm a gym junky though so I burn off a lot there. Which is great as otherwise I'd be fat as the proverbial...

He he okay :) ! Sometimes I like fast food. But mainly also no thanks. I love rice though, some I'm cheap :D