Cigar Experts Come In

Avante

Hi all

I need help. What on earth does the following below mean ? I have no knowledge on cigars at all, so please explain to me like your talking to a 6 years old idiota aye ?

Montecristo No.3

This Corona from Montecristo turns out to be an intermediate step between the world's most-sold Habano (the montecristo No.4) and the large formats of the brands. It occupies a very outstanding place, although more as substitute for the No.1, or as expansion of the No. 4. The surfeit of this brand has challenged its undoubted prestige, but those who are Montecristo smokers are faithful to all its formats. A Habano that never lets you down.

Now from a layman point of view. I understand that this cigar is called a Montecristo no.3. So why the word corona pops out? And to make it triple confusion the word Habanos pop outs for added effect.

Can someone explain & break down this in simple term

And what on earth this writer mean when he said its more of a substitude for the no.1 or it is more manufactured as an expansion idea of the no.4.

Gracie

Hi all

I need help. What on earth does the following below mean ? I have no knowledge on cigars at all, so please explain to me like your talking to a 6 years old idiota aye ?

Montecristo No.3

This Corona from Montecristo turns out to be an intermediate step between the world's most-sold Habano (the montecristo No.4) and the large formats of the brands. It occupies a very outstanding place, although more as substitute for the No.1, or as expansion of the No. 4. The surfeit of this brand has challenged its undoubted prestige, but those who are Montecristo smokers are faithful to all its formats. A Habano that never lets you down.

Now from a layman point of view. I understand that this cigar is called a Montecristo no.3. So why the word corona pops out? And to make it triple confusion the word Habanos pop outs for added effect.

Can someone explain & break down this in simple term

And what on earth this writer mean when he said its more of a substitude for the no.1 or it is more manufactured as an expansion idea of the no.4.

Gracie

Obviously written by an former Civil Servant. They use a language all their own.

Yeah. you are absolutely correct. Its very confusing for someone who has no cigar knowledge at all to understand what he trying to explain.

Its like saying a Honda Jazz is a very famous Yaris which is the best sought & most demanded Mercedes Benz Tata Nano vigo pre runner Mitsu Harley davidson in the world.

Maybe either he is high on LSD or that writer is a female who likes to explain in spiral circle round-about.

But still i need to understand this. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Terminology

MonteCristo.. A Brand of cigar just like Marloboro is a brand of cigarette

Habana.. Shows that the cigar is hand made in Cuba, which is the most sort after and expensive type

Corona.. Shows that the cigar is 5 1/2" in length

No.1.. Exactly the same diameter and shape as a No.3 but is 6 1/2" in length

No.3.. A straight cigar 42/64" in diameter and 5 1/2" in length

No.4.. Exactly the same diameter and shape as a No.3 but is 5" in length

Montecristo No.3

Translation

This type of cigar from Montecristo has the cheap and popular No.4, the less cheap and less popular No.3 and the expensive No.1. There are millions of Montecristo's on the market so it's hard work for the manufacturer to keep on claiming they are prestigious, but this type of cigar smoker doesn't care.

Edited by slimdog

For me, it all comes down to personal preference. Not what some reviewer has wrote. I've smoked great cigars from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Jamaica, Cuba, etc., in all different sizes.

I prefer a maduro wrapper, however, I've enjoyed cigars with a natural wrapper.

One also needs to remember, like wine & grapes, some years tobacco crop, may not be as good as the previous years, and vice versa.

Also remember...just because it's Cuban, doesn't necessarily guarantee it to be a good smoke. I wish cigars from other areas of the Caribbean were as readily available here as the Cubans.

Here is a decent site for cigar terminology : http://www.cigaradvisor.com/glossary.cfm

Or just google cigar terminology.

Edited by maxjay