Why Is It So Dirty Everywhere In Thailand?

chrgrims

why is it so dirty everywhere in Thailand? Some places they dont seem to clean ever, like many bathrooms. Whats up with this? Is the reason anything more than lack of knowledge about bacteria etc?

cheers,

Chr

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was skulking around the Grand Prix Bar in Patpong when this made the charts. it was banned here but all the bars played it anyway. TIT mate.

Yeah, I remember that too. When it was banned it became the most played song (not only) in bars...

Sorry for being :) but it had to be said...

Edited by webfact

why is it so dirty everywhere in Thailand? Some places they dont seem to clean ever, like many bathrooms. Whats up with this? Is the reason anything more than lack of knowledge about bacteria etc?

cheers,

Chr

I am sorry if this sounds condescending --this is not my intention--but, have you travelled much in other Asian countries? Prior to my current time here in LOS I had the pleasure/misfortune [ delete as applicable] to travel extensively in countries like India, Nepal, Pakistan, and many years ago Iran,Turkey,Morrocco and some others [ yes, I know that the last few are not actually Asian countries--humour me, please]---anyway, compared to these places this country is surgically clean--I rarely get sick from dirty food here, feel safe drinking bottled water--amazingly even pre-bottled drinking water in India can be tampered with!--so, in general, notwithstanding 'some' Thais prevalence to drop litter as and when it suits, I honestly find this country 'relatively' clean.

When driving through Petchabun state I did thinkit a very dusty place--with a lot of roadside burning going on--maybe where you are is a bit 'dusty'--?

we have several comments here:

.asia is dirty, so why think about why thailand is dirty.

-my wife is a thai look alike that can say something about this.

-a song was made about a nite in bkk.

-stay at home, it solves the problem.

great thread.

great thread.

Isn't it? :) Here's another one: quit your whinging and grab a mop. :D

I think a lot boils down to education and funding. Believe it or not there is ongoing education programs run by the health ministry. At the same time there are other problems like the eradication of dengue and malaria taking up a lot of funding and time as well.

Look around and you’ll see the clean food, wash your hands stickers along with other education programs.

Nothing will happen overnight but at least they’re trying to do something.

Local culture to dispose of garbage anywhere convenient be it directly outside your room in my apartment block or on the pavement or in a National Park or on temple fair field, etc.

Some anonymous nonga will pick it up for you. Or not.

we have several comments here: .asia is dirty, so why think about why thailand is dirty. -my wife is a thai look alike that can say something about this. -a song was made about a nite in bkk. -stay at home, it solves the problem. great thread.

To get precise answer, why don't you ask the offender themselves? Why do you make it dirty? / Tummai tung tum sokkraprok krub? :)

Perhaps it's something to do with poverty? Poor areas in most places in the world tend to be "dirty". Singapore was dirty in the old days until they became more affluent. Come to think of it, in pre-industrial Europe and the USA, when poverty was widespread, hygiene and cleanliness was not exactly top priority.

About the best thing to come out of this thread is the SONG. Pity all the comments at YOUTUBE are wrong as they seem to associate Bangkok with 'transvestites' when in actual fact they should be referring to 'transexuals'......ahh the internet, what a fantastic place, never let facts get in the way of a good story :)

I think a lot boils down to education and funding. Believe it or not there is ongoing education programs run by the health ministry. At the same time there are other problems like the eradication of dengue and malaria taking up a lot of funding and time as well.

Look around and you'll see the clean food, wash your hands stickers along with other education programs.

Nothing will happen overnight but at least they're trying to do something.

Exactly. And the further away from the source (less education, less exposure to clean environments) the less evident, in general, is the effect of these programs.

As has been said it is all relative and there are a multitude of places on this earth that are a lot less clean than Thailand. As it is now, travellers with average immune systems can handle eating food from many Thai street kitchens without getting food poisoning or a stomach flu - this despite the tropical climate that will exacerbate bacterial growth.

So my conclusion is it could be a lot dirtier than it is - it could also be cleaner of course, Singapore would be one example of a clean tropical country. But the main difference there is education level, government intervention pervasiveness and ultimately, more funding.

Look around and you'll see the clean food, wash your hands stickers along with other education programs.

Exactly. And the further away from the source (less education, less exposure to clean environments) the less evident, in general, is the effect of these programs.

As has been said it is all relative and there are a multitude of places on this earth that are a lot less clean than Thailand. As it is now, travellers with average immune systems can handle eating food from many Thai street kitchens without getting food poisoning or a stomach flu - this despite the tropical climate that will exacerbate bacterial growth.

So my conclusion is it could be a lot dirtier than it is - it could also be cleaner of course, Singapore would be one example of a clean tropical country. But the main difference there is education level, government intervention pervasiveness and ultimately, more funding.

Singapore could be cleaner than Thailand, but is a quasi-dictatorship.

And for Thailand dirty, the first OP should see Bangkok 20 years ago... Now is cleaner than some european town.

great thread.

Yes it is, it's someones very own perception!

As in: "Glass half full, half empty..."!

I just ha d an Indian Visitor, he stumbled all the time: "it's so clean, it's so clean, the waer, look evrerything is so clean! I think Thai people are very clean people!"

I suggest to get cured - got to India for therapy! :)

hehe. i just might do that. :D .

btw, I realized just now i am mistaken. Thailand is clean, my wife is african and i love abba.

:):D ...you got it, found the rose coloured spectacles have you ??... :D

Exactly. To the other interlopers reading this thread, now THIS is how you adapt to life in Thailand.

hehe. i just might do that. :D .

btw, I realized just now i am mistaken. Thailand is clean, my wife is african and i love abba.

Africa :) …..ever been to Africa???? Now that’s dirty, I have worked in many countries in Africa and currently in Egypt which is also very dirty, garbage tipped on the roadsides subsequently blows everywhere makes Thailand look like garden of Eden :D .

And for Thailand dirty, the first OP should see Bangkok 20 years ago... Now is cleaner than some european town.

Sure. I was not implying Thailand should be like Singapore in all respects, only that Singapore is cleaner. Apart from being a quasi-dictatorship, they are also a much smaller country which tends to make it easier to implement changes.

I'll second that. It s more than 1000% true. In the 80s and early 90s Bangkok was like a garbage dump