Studying Externally At A Thai University

melissabain2002

Hi all! We are planning to come to Koh Samui in early 2010. We had been planning to come on a Thai Visa ED through studying at a Thail language school, but have since found out that there are no language schools in Samui through which we can do this. We would definitely prefer to stay in Samui than anywhere else, so now we are wondering if it might be possible for us to study the Thai language (or Thai history and cultural studies) externally through a Thai university? That way we could still do the study and get the ED visa, but stay on Samui rather than where the universities are.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible for foreigners to study externally at a Thai university?

I realise the complexity of studying a language by correspondence or online instead of in person, which is why we are also interested in studying Thai history and cultural studies. We could then just organise the language classes ourselves on Samui.

I've contacted a few universities but none have gotten back to me yet, and I thought I might be able to get some more valuable advice from other farang who have done this.

Thanks!

Hi - As far as I am aware, there are no external courses available for the subject that you're interested in. A few years ago, I studied Thai Culture at Chulalongkorn University on a part-time basis, but this required on-campus attendance in Bangkok at least one day per week.

The only university which might offer something is the 'open' university - Ramkhamhaeng University - and I suggest you visit their website at www.ru.ac.th

Simon

Ramkhamhaeng for International students (ie courses taught in English and/or Chinese) are listed on this web page. The last one posted was the main Thai language taught courses.

http://www.iis.ru.ac.th/

But not aware of any courses that don't require attendance, except an online MBA.

Unless things have changed drastically, since I was a full-time student in Bangkok (9 yrs ago), attendance is only officially required. Can't imagine that they have become more stringent on this (in terms of this being a concern to immigration or the university). Attendance is mostly only then necessary when exams are on - unless you want to do well that is.