Extending 'retirement Visa'

My first 'O' 'retirement' type visa expires at the beginning of April. Will I have to convert money from my Bangkok Bank Foreign Currency Account into 800k Thai baht when I go to renew or can I just show them my FCA bank book? Also, will this just be the same process, the checking into the local office every 90 days? Thanks for any clarification and advice.

You will have to show that you have 800k in a Thai bank and that it came from overseas. There is a standard letter the bank can give you to confirm this, plus a copy of your bank statement/book. The 90 report will still apply.

Basically, whatever you did last year you do again!

I understand that the immigration officers prefer to see some movement of your bank account the previous year, i.e. money out, money in. If not, they may wish to know how you are managing to live in Thailand without spending money (e.g. are you w*rking without a permit and not paying tax?).

My pension is transferred to my Thai bank every month from which I withdraw my monthly spending; therefore there is adequate movement. Should my yearly pension plus the amount remaining in the bank at the time of renewal of extension total Bht 800,000 or greater, my application is likely to be successful.

Edited by jayenram

I understand that the immigration officers prefer to see some movement of your bank account the previous year, i.e. money out, money in. If not, they may wish to know how you are managing to live in Thailand without spending money (e.g. are you w*rking without a permit and not paying tax?).

My pension is transferred to my Thai bank every month from which I withdraw my monthly spending; therefore there is adequate movement. Should my yearly pension plus the amount remaining in the bank at the time of renewal of extension total Bht 800,000 or greater, my application is likely to be successful.

Great post ,Jaye! Very informative.

You're showing Thai Imm. exactly the things they want to see. Although the xfers dont necessarily have to be monthly( Obviously,the more xfers,the more costly)and one may be getting a better yield in their home acct. I would say that "topping up" every 4 to 6 months is adequate to show Thai acct. activity.

To Dutch,My pension is also enough to satisfy the income requirements.

But I would heed Jaye's sage advice

and keep at least 400 to 500K in my Thai bank acct.even though I would be using my proof of pension also come annual renewal time.The activity in the acct. throughout

the previous year being,to my mind,of prime importance.