Rats And Bats

srisatch

I think I am quite a 'catholic' consumer of 'foods'! I will eat most things, well once, at least!

I saw a guy doing a TV programme on 'inedible food'...He ate the bat but not Durian, which I adore...BUT

We don't eat chicken, nor unset egg yolks, nor ducks...which is a real bore. However strolled into kitchen today to find wife, children, mother in law tucking into something that smelled good. "What is that?" Noo Yang" "Grilled Rat" "The children like it......" It is apparently just the 'start' of the 'Rat Season' so they are expensive.!

What do you think? Is it 'Safe?', whatever that might mean....Have you eaten it/Would you eat it? In Thailand? In the US?UK?

I will try anything once, love insects here and all that, banana worms my favorite beer snack. Can't see rat being dangerous, just a rodent as long as it is a field rat and not out the dustbin, same as a rabbit really. What I want to know is i ate some really wierd eggs the other day they were green and solid but the "white was transparent, how do they do that, really looked wierd but tasted pretty good. any ideas, mayb if you have a missis you could ask her for me

Rat is fine. I have eaten it lots of times. No problems.

If I remember right you should remove the liver thou.

Fried locusts are nice too.

After ten years here I plucked up enough courage to try the ants eggs this week. Verdict.......Edible.....just.

Up here in the north they eat scorpions but I think I will wait another ten years before trying that one.

i ate porcupine the other day, thai style..... doesnt seem worth the effort to trap them;

they hid the fox on the grill, but i insisted (this is illegal stuff in israel) to see it, they wouldnt let me try it.... it seems they've done dog, but when i was about to taste something that looked good, the told me 'pet mak mak' and pushed something else in front of me.... that was in place of the delicious looking dog....

rat? maybe country rat , they catch them here too but not from around my park as we put out poison also so they are forbidden to eat rat here....

food is food; every time i offer them home made goat yogurt they make faces and probalby ask each other 'if its safe to eat that awful sour smelling white stuff'.... so.....

btw, i liked the red ant eggs....

ill skip scorpion

To the average Westerner there is a definite atavistic revulsion to the thought of eating "Rat" .

However in many Thai Provinces (rice growing Provinces in particular) there are annual Festivals - Rat catching competitions, Rat cooking demonstrations ........... quite possibly a "Miss Rat" beauty contest - although I have never actually seen that!

Your average upcountry rodent is quite delicious, quite a lot of meat - for the size - and virtually no fat.

Joking aside - they live mostly on vegetation, seeds etc., not at all to be compared to the Western image of a sewer dweller.

Bats however are really un-appetising, little meat and LOTS of small bones!

Patrick

When I first went to my wifes village years ago (it seems it) we both cooked a green chicken curry for the in-laws to be. The good thing about it was that we only needed one chicken for both meals. I used the breast and thighs..........she used the head and the feet.

Another amusing thing happened in the pub recently. The girls were sitting down tucking into a plate of grubs and locusts,and I passed by with a cheese sandwich for a customer. One of the girls turned round,saw the sandwich and said 'Ughrrr' :o:D

Edited by lampard10

When I first went to my wifes village years ago (it seems it) we both cooked a green chicken curry for the in-laws to be. The good thing about it was that we only needed one chicken for both meals. I used the breast and thighs..........she used the head and the feet.

Another amusing thing happened in the pub recently. The girls were sitting down tucking into a plate of grubs and locusts,and I passed by with a cheese sandwich for a customer. One of the girls turned round,saw the sandwich and said 'Ughrrr' :o  :D

Well. right on.Where do get decent cheese in Surin? I would go with the grubs.

On the q. of eggs...wife thinks green eggs with liquid whites sound disgusting...She says Maybe you had some bad pink eggs...Apparently They are called Horse Pee Eggs...I like them.

The only problem I have with grubs, grasshoppers, beetles etc is that I worry how they came to be dead...Large dose of DDT I should not wonder...also frogs and snails from the paddies

Latest rat's liver, kidneys etc. were being saved for gourmet finale. But all said would not eat Bangkok Rat...so allows farang to walk free.....

True, westerners associate rats with Bubonic Plague and other unpleasant experiences....rabbits, on which i was raised, became inedible as they were mixy.

Ever seen rat on a menu?

• 3 weeks later...
I think I am quite a 'catholic' consumer of 'foods'! I will eat most things, well once, at least!

I saw a guy doing a TV programme on 'inedible food'...He ate the bat but not Durian, which I adore...BUT

We don't eat chicken, nor unset egg yolks, nor ducks...which is a real bore. However strolled into kitchen today to find wife, children, mother in law tucking into something that smelled good. "What is that?" Noo Yang" "Grilled Rat"  "The children like it......" It is apparently just the 'start' of the 'Rat Season' so they are expensive.!

What do you think? Is it 'Safe?', whatever that might mean....Have you eaten it/Would you eat it? In Thailand? In the US?UK?