Change Or The Lack There Of

BillyBobThai

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the motor-cy in the bedroom. Brilliant.

At least they have a sink. It makes me smile these photos. Not in a piss taking way though.

Its when you go back to your native country and people ask 'do they have hot water,do they have this,

do they have that'.

This is the same as my wifes parents house - bucket and scoop system. In the 'cold' months the water is almost freezing (or feels like it anyway).

I had an electric shower put in for them but all they use it for is to fill the bucket.

Here is the front of their place. I set them up in a small business selling ice, water, cold drinks and mixed gas in whiskey bottles. My 6000 baht a month helps the whole family, but I'm not getting myself suckered into a marriage. I help because I can afford to and it makes ME feel good. I really only do it for the children's sake anyway. There are thousands of Thai families all over the country who live in pretty much the same circumstances. They work at what ever will make a little cash money to buy the necessities and everyone in the family chips in one way or another.

Drink_stand.jpg

Here is the front of their place. I set them up in a small business selling ice, water, cold drinks and mixed gas in whiskey bottles. My 6000 baht a month helps the whole family, but I'm not getting myself suckered into a marriage. I help because I can afford to and it makes ME feel good. I really only do it for the children's sake anyway. There are thousands of Thai families all over the country who live in pretty much the same circumstances. They work at what ever will make a little cash money to buy the necessities and everyone in the family chips in one way or another.

Drink_stand.jpg

Nothing wrong with helping out needy children. Good for you. It's well worth the $200 a month you spent for self satisfaction.

I had a hot water shower added to the outside shower at my in-laws house a few years ago, and it seems they do not use it unless it is really cold out. They use a concrete water tank that holds about 1/2 cu meterof water. This morning when I took a shower there had to be at least 500 mosquitos in the room. They, falsely believe I think, that they will use more water/electricity/money by using the pressure shower.

How do I go about converting them without causing a problem??????

You can't :) ! Anyhow, I think that placing a big tank on top of the roof and letting it get warm naturally by the sun ( enough in thailand ) , and then a pipeline to a shower somewhere around the house, works fine! Pressure automatically and it's good warm :D , just also put an automatic filler pipeline to the reservoir on the roof.

A now deceased friend of mine took a bath in the tank at a Thai friend of ours and you should have heard the Thai's missus go off. She had the poor husband scrubbing it out with soap and disinfectant for an hour.

My laugh of the day. thank you.

I thought they were for washing clothes when I first saw one, so I shouldn't laugh.

Had to laugh at that one too. First time I ever saw one of these at a friend of a friend's house we stayed at, I assumed the same. Luckily as I wasn't 100% sure and it was my first time I went out again and asked. I guess being laughed at for the next hour or so for my lack of education and stupidity was better than spending an hour scrubbing the bath.

As to the OP's original post, yes these Thais can be a funny lot. I installed a mud-bath for my outlaws and they don't use that either. Talk about primitive.

The Indonesian version of the tank and scoop is called a Mandi. I recall using one in a relatively posh hotel which had goldfish in the tank. Kept down the mosquito larvae, I guess, but the trade-off was showering in fish poo, (and the occasional fish).

Are you sure it wasn't the water feature in the hotel lobby :)

its hard to criticize these girls from marrying the first farang they can find when you take a look at a photo like that.

True. Here is the other part of the home where the parents live with a married daughter and her Thai husband and their two little children, and the other daughter (my lady friend) and her three children. Needless to say it is very crowded. There is little wonder the family is pushing me to build them all a big home. So far I've resisted, and only send enough money to help out with clothes for the kids along with medical and school supplies.

Boons_home_1.jpg

bug_tent.jpg

Boons_home_4.jpg

Ian, you are a sincere guy for sure, but did you ever ask yourself, if the people whose faces and homes you show on a very well known Thai forum would like that too?

Some of the health promotion campaigns run in the villages by public health staff involve trying to get people to put covers on water tanks so the mosquitoes can't breed. A trip to hospital with dengue fever could eat up quite a lot of the money saved on electricity by doing things the old way, especially for a Westerner who won't get free public care.

i love the scoop and splash; after using the bathroom, for us girls during those certain times, its great to wash up and feel clean instead of the toilet paper/fanny wipes and to just do everything and than splash off, well, its very refreshing. of course in jerusalem in winter it would be freezing, but here in the summer, its great. i hate the cold water showers with water constantly running from the douche, like in some camping places, even if its very hot out.

splashing cool water to wash off and shower is great when very hot; when cold, heat up some water, mix in a big plastic garbage can and splash off same way; husband still showers in cold water only here on kibbutz and we have free hot/cold water ; although i noticed that my kids have started using the 'hand held douche' for showering and turn off and on to rinse and soap-- everyone is very big now on conserving water, and the splash shower conserves more.

so now have plastic garbage can for water in shower so water can be room temp for splash showers...

btw, husband claims, and empirical evidence supports that cool/cold showers cause less dry skin -- in thailand i had no skin problems, back here, with the very hot water i tend to use, my skin is always flaky and dry (also water here is very hard)>

and ive discovered that i prefer the thai old style of toilet also, then our western style sitting where others have sat before u......... sometimes 'primitive' is better than modern/new... but then in our kibbutz showers u still have to squeegee the water back in to a drainage hole, there is no shower stall thingy except in houses that people have paid to renovate, which i couldnt bother to do much to my mother's disapproval.

bina

israel

quote "Ian, you are a sincere guy for sure, but did you ever ask yourself, if the people whose faces and homes you show on a very well known Thai forum would like that too?"

Birdman, I've NEVER shown any disrespect for anyone whose photos are shown on this or any other forum. None of the photos imply anything either, other than we are having a good time. But, people can believe what they want and think the worst, and I can't change that. It is highly unlikely anybody who views this forum will EVER meet or know the people whose photos are shown. And, the people whose photos are shown never look at the internet. If people indicate they don't want their photo taken I don't take it. And, I get prints of the photos I do take of Thai families and give the photos to those people. Most don't have the money to afford luxuries such as photos.

The photo's are typical Thai homes lots of them the same all over the country, where is the disrespect? Besides all that IMHO Thai people are happier than a lot of westerners that live in houses with more bathrooms than occupants, isn't that a big part of why we like Thailand?

The first time I visited my wife's sisters home in Wang Nam Yen, I took a spray shower and it was fine. But then another time the shower water stunk to high heaven. I quickly finished up and asked why such a stink?

I was told because it had rained the night before. I guess the roof was dirty or something, who knows. Somehow the rain water is collected but it wasn't evident how or where.

My wife said "I don't like when you ask why why why all the time."

So I've just stopped asking "why?" now. Works for me. I get my answers from :) instead. :D

Edited by Lopburi99

I don't believe how some have led such a sheltered life in Thailand. Even as an English teacher I was using squat loos with buckets to flush. We use pumped up pond water to shower when I visit the in-laws.

I assume you mean the hole in the floor toilet (not aware of the term "loos"). I've gotten too old and fat to squat. Guaranteed muscle spasm every time. Not to mention trying to use some water to splash clean myself with one hand while using the other for balance. Then I have to push myself up with my hands on the floor to raise up. Once I finally am vertical again, I stagger light-headed as the blood slowly returns to my legs by draining from my head. Then I need a shower because I am drenched with sweat from this ungodly ordeal. NOT a pretty picture. Sorry, no photos! :) Ahh, Amazing Thailand!

Edited by Lopburi99

quote "Ian, you are a sincere guy for sure, but did you ever ask yourself, if the people whose faces and homes you show on a very well known Thai forum would like that too?"

Birdman, I've NEVER shown any disrespect for anyone whose photos are shown on this or any other forum. None of the photos imply anything either, other than we are having a good time. But, people can believe what they want and think the worst, and I can't change that. It is highly unlikely anybody who views this forum will EVER meet or know the people whose photos are shown. And, the people whose photos are shown never look at the internet. If people indicate they don't want their photo taken I don't take it. And, I get prints of the photos I do take of Thai families and give the photos to those people. Most don't have the money to afford luxuries such as photos.

Ian--

Just wanted to let you know that your photos are greatly appreciated by some of us. I have seen some of your great photos and honest forthright anwers on other topics and I think quite highly of your posts. Keep up the good work.

If you would build your lady friend's family a nice bathroom like the one pictured below, I am sure you would be the talk of the village.

post-35124-1247269814_thumb.jpg

I am sure that her family would really appreciate an upgraded bathroom because I have my own private bathroom at home (pictured below) and I think it is also just about time for me to upgrade. :)

post-35124-1247270052_thumb.jpg

The photo's are typical Thai homes lots of them the same all over the country, where is the disrespect? Besides all that IMHO Thai people are happier than a lot of westerners that live in houses with more bathrooms than occupants, isn't that a big part of why we like Thailand?

I moved from a nice "western" style house in CM to the sticks.

Bucket shower, bucket flush...somewhat like the house Ian shows in his photos.

I love it.

Life can be nice being so simple.

I have put a water heater in the bathroom so that one bucket has hot water to splash over you and a sit down toilet that flushes, but other than that, I live like my neighbors and so far would not trade it for what I did have.

( I would like to put a/c in the front room though..like yesterday, it sure was hot and the electrical brown outs here sure make the afternoon tough..but a quick splash from the cold water bucket is sure nice.)

My point was, that someone shows for instance my house and living room without my permission, I would not appreciate that.

Didn't mean what someone thinks about it and that you don't respect the people and the conditions. I am sure you do. I like your photos too and I asked myself already what camera did you use for the river pictures in Chiang Mai. What camera did you use?

Is that a picture from Klong Prem?

:)

No, it's at Luk Kai station (just after Ban Pong) in Kanchanaburi province. But, there are similar wash rooms all over rural Thailand.

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. It seems like others have had the same funny experiences as me. :D

Oh, and yes the floors are VERY slippery.

Yeah, I was only kidding. Have seen dozens of similar bathrooms and homes myself.

:D

OK, I am going to show my ignorance on Thai home life here. What is a "scoop and bucket" shower?

It's where they have a big tub of water with a little pail you pour water over yourself in some sort of outhouse. We call it a sponge bath and that is what I do when I'm camping if I can't swim in the river.

Thanks!

This is what I'm talking about... a typical Thai family shower-toilet room....

The big cement tank is NOT a bath tub. It holds water you either use to pour over yourself as a bucket shower, or dump in the squat toilet to flush it.

Boons_home_5.sized.jpg

I can't imagine being stupid enuf to think that the holding tank was a bath tub. Personally, I prefer to shower this way, with the holding tank and bucket/cup because you can get wet, soap urself up and rinse off & you most certainly use less water. Also, I find the water in the holding tank is cooler than the water flowing thru the blue above ground supply pipe.

You can also save time & shit shower and shave all at the same time literally :) .

I don't believe how some have led such a sheltered life in Thailand. Even as an English teacher I was using squat loos with buckets to flush. We use pumped up pond water to shower when I visit the in-laws.

Believe it! Not everyone is on a teacher's salary or married into to a pond water pumping family.

My point was, that someone shows for instance my house and living room without my permission, I would not appreciate that.

Didn't mean what someone thinks about it and that you don't respect the people and the conditions. I am sure you do. I like your photos too and I asked myself already what camera did you use for the river pictures in Chiang Mai. What camera did you use?

I use a Nikon 200 D with an 18mm to 200mm lens for 90% of my photos unless I expect to get wet. Then I use a waterproof Pentax W30.

I don't post photos of anyone in compromising situations. If I'm with someone else's wife or girl friend I don't post photos of them... even though our friendship is purely platonic. I don't want anyone to jump to conclusions. Not all women who work in bars are for hire. Many are just working staff. People have to understand that and not jump to conclusions.

I post a lot of photos to either illustrate a topic or create a laugh. If I poke fun at anyone it is always myself. Even though I'm a professional writer I know that pictures can often convey something that words can't. That is why magazines sell on the newstands. Without good pictures nobody would buy them.

I use a Nikon 200 D with an 18mm to 200mm lens for 90% of my photos unless I expect to get wet. Then I use a waterproof Pentax W30.

I don't post photos of anyone in compromising situations. If I'm with someone else's wife or girl friend I don't post photos of them... even though our friendship is purely platonic. I don't want anyone to jump to conclusions. Not all women who work in bars are for hire. Many are just working staff. People have to understand that and not jump to conclusions.

I post a lot of photos to either illustrate a topic or create a laugh. If I poke fun at anyone it is always myself. Even though I'm a professional writer I know that pictures can often convey something that words can't. That is why magazines sell on the newstands. Without good pictures nobody would buy them.

Ian if you were sending me 6000 baht/month you can take pictures of whatever you like mate.

The wife would have no say in the matter :):D:D

Ian if you were sending me 6000 baht/month you can take pictures of whatever you like mate.

The wife would have no say in the matter :):D:D

If you looked like this I probably might. This little girl stole my heart about 5 years ago. If it was just her mother it would have ended after the first week, but how could I resist this little girl's love.

Fong_2.sized.jpg

Fong_school_work.sized.jpg

Ian_carrying_Fong_2.jpg

Thats totally understandable.

Its a shame really because I have a niece in LOS and she is cute and smart but such a spoiled brat.

I am looking forward to seeing my other 2 nieces though.They are twins(girls).The brother in law is

teaching them both good manners.

Edited by longstebe

I had a hot water shower added to the outside shower at my in-laws house a few years ago, and it seems they do not use it unless it is really cold out. They use a concrete water tank that holds about 1/2 cu meterof water. This morning when I took a shower there had to be at least 500 mosquitos in the room. They, falsely believe I think, that they will use more water/electricity/money by using the pressure shower.

How do I go about converting them without causing a problem??????

You can't :) ! Anyhow, I think that placing a big tank on top of the roof and letting it get warm naturally by the sun ( enough in thailand ) , and then a pipeline to a shower somewhere around the house, works fine! Pressure automatically and it's good warm :D , just also put an automatic filler pipeline to the reservoir on the roof.

showersystem.jpg