Motorbike Rental - How Much And What You Want To Get

Drag0nboy

Hi

I am trying to find out how much we Farang are paying for Motorbike hire - by that I mean Semi and Automatic scooters ( provide details on big bikes too if you have them as I am intersted)

Also:

Do you have to give your passport as a deposit?

Do you pay over the odds for repairs?

Do you have to pay for the bike to be serviced - punctures, oil and brakes etc

Basically I am intersted in hearing all stories about renting bikes here in Thailand - especially Phuket as I am setting up a Bike Hire service for Westerners run by Westerners thsat includes delivery of the bikes and reliability. As I am fed up of paying over the odds for rentals, repairs and want to pass this on to other Tourists on holiday.

I do daily, weekly and long term rentals plus purchase options as well on the bikes.

Thanks to all for your feedback and i look forward to your commments and ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I rent thru a travel shop in Karon; 250/day which I know could be cheaper elsewere but the bikes are low kms, well-maintained - in contrast to other places I've used - I don't know what kms a scooter should 'survive' to but one I rented elsewhere had 48,000km and was just about dead, was difficult to start, rattly when running and the brakes were only occasional!

I've never been asked to pay for repairs so can't comment on that

I saw a place in Chalong near the pier at 100 baht/day which is the cheapest I've seen.

Also I like a place where the gas tank is full, and I have to return it full, rather than the pot-luck approach of some rental places who are happy to hire out almost empty bikes (do they siphon if one is returned full? I be surprised if not)

I had to leave my passport the first time only, and wasn't too happy about that but it does to be standard; as a regular hirer I have not been asked to leave passport again

I can see the point in passport as security, otherwise you could end up with a bike being abandoned if crashed/damaged and th hirer doing a runner.

Good luck with the business

Edited by genghis61

I've rented bikes all over Thailand.

I'd go with the following pricing:

1) Scooters (Wave, 125 cc) - 200/day

2) Scooters (Wave, 100/110 cc) - 150/day

3) Scooters (Mio/Fino) - 250/day

4) Scooters (Air Blade) - 300/day

5) Scooters (Old) - 150/day

6) Phantom/Boss - 500/day

7) CBR 400 - 500/day

8) True Big Bikes - 800-1000/day (depending on make/model)

I'd make the following recommendations:

1) Offer an alternative to the passport ransom. Perhaps a credit card number, ID card, or a cash deposit.

2) Require the tank to be full upon return. Always ensure they go out with a full tank.

3) Be very clear about existing damages with customers - make them feel comfortable and trusting.

4) Don't charge for general wear and tear, tires, brakes, etc, including flat tires and minor scratches.

5) Be clear about damage charges, pick-up/transportation charges in the case of an accident. Be up front with the customers. Review the store policies at the time of hiring and include them in the rental contract. Make sure they understand and agree.

6) Do offer a delivery/pick up service - maybe charge an extra 50 bt for this.

7) Buy plenty of helmets of different styles and sizes - anticipate your customer's needs.

8) Provide chains and locks .

9) Find a police contact you can trust in case you have trouble with Thai competitors or customers.

10) Find a good mechanic/repair shop you can trust, or do it yourself.

11) Ensure there is always a competent English speaker around or available at the business

12) Be prepared to be ripped off/cheated in some ways. Do not take this out on the other customers through unfair policies and pricing.

Good luck

Edited by way2muchcoffee