Paypal Tricks?

astral

I have just received a message from Paypal saying my account is suspended.

Well I knew that it, happened about a year ago when they decided Thailand was

not an acceptable place to live.

I logged on to their site www.paypal.com and was presented with a screen asking

for my credit card details............... well OK, they do need that to credit money to me.

The form goes on to ask for the PIN number of the credit card!!!!!!!!!

They must be out of their tiny minds if they think I will part with that piece

of info over the internet.

A sure recipe for a duplicate card and an empty account.

Anyone else received such a message?

I did not give the info and have sent off a message demanding to know why they need this info.

I have just received a message from Paypal saying my account is suspended.

Well I knew that it, happened about a year ago when they decided Thailand was

not an acceptable place to live.

I logged on to their site www.paypal.com and was presented with a screen asking

for my credit card details............... well OK, they do need that to credit money to me.

The form goes on to ask for the PIN number of the credit card!!!!!!!!!

They must be out of their tiny minds if they think I will part with that piece

of info over the internet.

A sure recipe for a duplicate card and an empty account.

Anyone else received such a message?

I did not give the info and have sent off a message demanding to know why they need this info.

BE CAREFUL...it's probably a FAKE Paypal site!!!

Try to reach, by other means, the real PAYPAL people and ask them how/why.

It's very unusual that they ask for your pincode and not-done.

LaoPo

Sounds like a case of phishing to me. Do NOT click on any links that came in the purported email from Paypal. They are probably redirecting you to a fake Paypal site set up in order to harvest personal details from users.

Go only to www.paypal.com directly.

This is probably not from paypal at all, but a scam.

I was also sent something from 'paypal' before, from there address, with all the normal look of the site, telling me I click on something on the page and it started downloading a virus.

This type of scam is becoming very popular now, and reaps a lot of money and scammers send those kind of forms from paypal, banks and a whole number of other places.

Inform paypal you have received this scam letter.

Did you click on a link in the email or actually type in the Paypal address?

I have been asked in the past to supply my credit card number and cvv number on the back, but never the pin. This happened after logging into the account from Thailand. It was to verify that it was actually me and that I had physical possesion of the card.

This is probably not from paypal at all, but a scam.

Inform paypal you have received this scam letter.

While I agree with comment I would like to see a better response from some of the companies involved.

Late last year I received various e-mails purporting to be from Citibank in the US.

The first one had me concerned as I have never had a bank account with Citibank and had long ago ceased using their credit cards. It transpired that this e-mail was indeed from them as they sent out these e-mails to anyone who had ever had busienes dealings with them. As the email contained part of an account number I called Citibank in the USA to ensure that no account existed in my name.

They confirmed that this was the case and the number was probably a very old one and used as part of their spam.

The reaction of the person taking my call was why was I bothering them? what was my problem? We are Citibank we are never wrong

Really wanted to reopen my accounts with them.

A week later I receive a second e-mail this time confirming cash movments between bank account and credit card. This time not wishing to telephone them and wasting my time and money I forwarded the email to the security division at their websites suggestion. Did I hear anything back- of course not.

I have been the subject of identity theft. It is not pleasant. I do not find many of these institutions sympathetic.

I was not subject of a phising scam simply someone got a hold of the numerous invitiations to open a credit card account and lookee here thousands of dollars spent in my name without my knowledge.

The firms involved in undertaking business via electronic means have responsibilites and obligations to the public as well.

By the by the most sympathetic and constructive conversation i had when trying to unravel my particular situation was with the FTC who were extremely helpful and have bags of information and suggestions as to what to do as regards identity theft.

I was informed there that 40million Americans were the subject of identity theft in 2003.

Any legit email from paypal (and citibank) has always been addressed to my proper name. I get lots of scam letters like those mentioned, even from banks where I've never had any dealings...

Edited by Ajarn

Just another form of 419 fraud

Please scan your computer for Trojans Keyloggers.

You silly ***** you have allready opened the email.

People if it looks too good to be true then it probably is.

Go here and download free protection.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17105

Phishing scams are on the increase.

As were diallers last year.

www.apacs.org.uk

to name but a few

ZONE ALARM

SPYBOT

AVG

POP_UP_STOPPER

Anyone foolish enough to get duped all is not lost .

How can you win the lottery uou did not enter.

Edited by Bizz

Along with PayPayl and CitiBank, I've received "phish" from Amazon, Ebay, and countless others. As forementioned by previous saavy posters, any email soliciting private info is a scam. This will never end and the phishers will become more sophisticated so if something smells fishy, it probably is phishy. Link below will tell you about some of the most common scams of late, as well as the nigerian emails we all seem to get.

One other note, for those of you who don't use an anti-virus sw, you should. You would be surprised at the amount of trojans hidden on your pc. Same goes for anti-spy sw, I get a bunch of stuff everyweek that I quarantine and delete. I can make recommendations for sw sites for free downloads if anyone's interested.

Happy surfing!

http://www.fightidentitytheft.com/how-to-report-scams.html

Don't delete the mail until you've forwarded it to [email protected]

It's an email address to report just this sort of phishing thing, and they will investigate, and at a minimum bring down the site, and hopefully it might even result in putting the person in prison.

Always check the URL after you click (in fact I usually hover over any link in an email from a financial site - and check that it's not suspicious - i.e. anyone like paypal or a bank is not going to have a numeric IP address for their website in a link in an email...)

Also go to https://www.paypal.com/ewf/f=pps_spf - and report to them that way if you've entered anything on the site before stopping when they asked for your pin...

... if something smells fishy, it probably is phishy ....

Exactly right, the degree of sophistication today is incredible, from the retarded "... President of 3rd worldville needs to transfer million $$ to your account ..." to site redirects, activex installed BHO's, key loggers, ...

It's a shame that that a third of my machines resources are tied up monitoring firewalls, antivirals, filters, all because of this bulls..

They need to get a few of these A-holes and just not take a little money from them, but throw them some hard time. Don't even get started me started on spam ... homer(mad,w,sm).gif