Edge Gadgets

Samuian

Any experience with edge gadgets - as the usb stick - any recommendations anyone?

EDGE Thailand

or the Sierra Wireless?

Sierra Wirelss Card

it's a bit cheaper but larger gadget, is it better?

...and any experience using the EDEGE Pre-Paid Service with "Happy"?

Unlimited 999 Baht p.mth. ?

anyone?

I want to use it on a slightly "antique" IBM Laptop R52 with XP2 as OS...

unlimited use at 1,000 baht?

You can get 250 hours for roughly half that price.

That's online eight hours, 25 minutes a day, every day.

with which Company?

Happy offers now 50 hrs. for 199 baht

* Special offer!

Register now, you'll be

awarded 100 hrs./month for three months...

It's not so much the cost really then connection speed availability of connections - experience..

does it work or is it still at gimmick stage?!

The gadget will do no more than a mid priced phone. Buy a phone with EDGE capability and you can connect with Bluetooth or a data cable.

I have a 4,800 baht Nokia 5130c EpressMusic;

GPRS Class 32

HSCSD Yes

EDGE Class 32

Bluetooth Yes, v2.0 with A2DP

USB Yes, v2.0 microUSB

The wireless card is utterly useless. You'll attain Dial up speeds. As far as the USB modem is concerned, you can get a superior one for around 700 baht if you have a friend in the UK: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Usb-3g-edge-...ht-t280457.html

Not sure what happens to your connection if you use your phone and need to take a call. Better to have a dedicated USB modem if you can get it at the price I have indicated.

Expect to get around 20kB/s downloads with EDGE. Maybe 5kB/s with GPRS.

The dongle I have linked to is also 3G capable, so you'll be able to take advantage of that when available. Theoretically up to around 360 kB/s downloads.

Get one if you can.

I'm one of those guys who likes to have a dedicated GPRS device, and not like to use my phone.

When on-line using my phone, only half of the incoming calls come through, and if you are for example doing a download this most likely will get interrupted on an incoming call!

The Sierra Wireless 750 card you link to does only regular GPRS, as mentioned above useless. If you can get your hands on a Sierra wireless 775 this will do full Edge at good speeds.

You do need to make sure your laptop has a PCMCIA slot, and not the newer and smaller Express Card Slot! A newish laptop will most likely only have the newer express card slot!

Also, with the older hardware, it most likely will not work under either Vista or Windows 7 as the manufacturer is not supporting it anymore!

If you only plan to use it on a (slightly) older laptop with PCMCIA slot and running XP, then no problem... Otherwise go for the newer USB or Express card devices...

I'm one of those guys who likes to have a dedicated GPRS device, and not like to use my phone.

When on-line using my phone, only half of the incoming calls come through, and if you are for example doing a download this most likely will get interrupted on an incoming call!

The Sierra Wireless 750 card you link to does only regular GPRS, as mentioned above useless. If you can get your hands on a Sierra wireless 775 this will do full Edge at good speeds.

You do need to make sure your laptop has a PCMCIA slot, and not the newer and smaller Express Card Slot! A newish laptop will most likely only have the newer express card slot!

Also, with the older hardware, it most likely will not work under either Vista or Windows 7 as the manufacturer is not supporting it anymore!

If you only plan to use it on a (slightly) older laptop with PCMCIA slot and running XP, then no problem... Otherwise go for the newer USB or Express card devices...

The simple and obvious solution is to use dedicated phone for internet connection,using number,which is not known to anybody-no incoming calls!

You can still use the phone when you need it?Such phone you can get very cheap today:MotorolaK1 - 2000B

It's a IBM Thinkpad R52 XP2 with a PC Card/PCMCIA slot.

I think sounds like the best option as even an older phone will cost 2000 and then 2nd hand...

thanks all for sharing your experience and knowledge with me,

makes decisions easier!

"The gadget will do no more than a mid priced phone. Buy a phone with EDGE capability and you can connect with Bluetooth or a data cable. . . . I have a 4,800 baht Nokia 5130c EpressMusic;"

You can do the same with a Nokia 3110 Classic -- I bought one for 3900 Baht 8 months ago, but heard that you can get one for B2500 or less today.

"The gadget will do no more than a mid priced phone. Buy a phone with EDGE capability and you can connect with Bluetooth or a data cable. . . . I have a 4,800 baht Nokia 5130c EpressMusic;"

You can do the same with a Nokia 3110 Classic -- I bought one for 3900 Baht 8 months ago, but heard that you can get one for B2500 or less today.

I Agree with you I bought one of those edge usb modems a couple of years ago about 7000 baht , complete waste of money i exchanged it for a secondhand nokia phone 1500 baht.

I use the nokia mobile a lot when hi speed wireless is not available and the phone work perfect for internet.

Edited by saintofsilence